Bookshelfs with high resolution and low fatigue?

RobertJason

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been on a journey to find bookshelf's that I love and can listen to for longer than an hour.

Current System:
------------------
Yamaha CD player
Yaqin MS-12B tube preamp
Parasound 100W amp
Dynaudio Audience 50
Wires (inexpensive hosa's, multi-strand copper for speaker wire)

I've been searching, literally, for years to find speakers I love as much as the Dynaudio's. The thing I love is vocals, resolution, piano, realistic tones. I can hear the piano pedals being pressed, hear a zylophone in the background, things I never knew existed in a track until I played them on my Dynaudio's.

The delimna is that I'm getting older and listening fatigue kicks in VERY soon now (within 30 minutes). I, unfortunately, listed to a lot of compressed music and I don't know if the Dyn's are bright or if it's the compression but I can no longer listen to my 10+ year favorite speakers.

I'm hoping you can recommend a speaker that still has resolution (ie, hearing piano pedals being pressed) but without being bright. I've tried EQ'ing the Dyn's and that helps, but as we all know EQ'ing kind of ruins a speaker, I'd rather have speakers that are naturally low-fatigue.

I've done research and am considering many including: Ascend Sierra 1, Wharfedale Denton, B&W 807.... The budget 'may' permit Harbeth or Splendor, but it'll be hard to spend more than $800 used. I don't mind buying used either.

I'm very over the 'monitor' neutral sound. Clinical, non-forgiving, and Analytical are not a good fit for my purposes. I'm okay with falsely warm as long as there is still detail and resolution in the midrange.

So what do you recommend? Bookshelf's that have detail and resolution for beautiful volcals/piano but not bright or fatiguing!

Please keep in mind I don't have a budget to upgrade everything. Just looking to drop $800 or so and switch out the speakers.

THANKS for your advice! - Robert Jason

Used Harbeths and Spendors as you said are right up your alley.... You should start with a model which fits your room size.....ATCs are the clinical, analytical and non-forgiving speakers which you don't like...

Try the Harbeth P3ESR and if you want just a little more warmth, then the Spendor S3/5R2 would be the exact speaker you are looking for.... Both are delightful speakers..

Phase coherent speakers - the one that have near to perfect square wave response are likely to have the lowest fatigue imo and can be played for hours together.

Used Harbeths and Spendors as you said are right up your alley.... You should start with a model which fits your room size.....ATCs are the clinical, analytical and non-forgiving speakers which you don't like...

Panditji,
I would disagree with ATC's being clinical. Yes they are accurate and super revealing and if you have decent recordings they will offer you hours of fatigue free music without the masking effect that overtly warm speakers like some Harbeth's produce. Coming back to the OP's query, I did not hear the Dynaudio Audience 50, but owned the Focus 110. It was a great speaker but my current ATC SCM 11v1 is much superior especially in treble which is one area that leads to listening fatigue. You should be able to get the SCM 11 in your budget, I think it retailed for $1800 when new.
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, the OP has said that he listens to a lot of compressed music and I doubt if the ATCs will make them sound nice.. The Harbeths and SPendors make all recordings nice...

The OP is looking for speakers which can make compressed music (I am assuming MP3s) sound nice and fatigue free...He is ok with a warmer sound and also does not want to change other components in his chain...The ATCs would then need better amplification whereas the current Parasound is good enough to drive the Harbeths and Spendors nicely...

Panditji,
I would disagree with ATC's being clinical. Yes they are accurate and super revealing and if you have decent recordings they will offer you hours of fatigue free music without the masking effect that overtly warm speakers like some Harbeth's produce. Coming back to the OP's query, I did not hear the Dynaudio Audience 50, but owned the Focus 110. It was a great speaker but my current ATC SCM 11v1 is much superior especially in treble which is one area that leads to listening fatigue. You should be able to get the SCM 11 in your budget, I think it retailed for $1800 when new.
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, the OP has said that he listens to a lot of compressed music and I doubt if the ATCs will make them sound nice.. The Harbeths and SPendors make all recordings nice...

The OP is looking for speakers which can make compressed music (I am assuming MP3s) sound nice and fatigue free...He is ok with a warmer sound and also does not want to change other components in his chain...The ATCs would then need better amplification whereas the current Parasound is good enough to drive the Harbeths and Spendors nicely...

Well I am not sure if they will make them sound nice or not but they will be 100% fatigue free, much more than his current Dynaudio's when listening to said compressed files, and they will definitely shine when used with FLAC's or WAV's. Also 100 watts is adequate to drive the 11's.
But anyways it is just a suggestion, and also to state that the ATC's are definitely not clinical sounding. Some excellent speaker suggestions regardless on the post. OP you may ignore my suggestion, I am somewhat of an ATC fanboy so am quite biased.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Thank You. As panditji mentioned I'm okay these days if it's not 100% accurate and is slightly warm. My main worry is that warm speakers will lose the 'resolution' I'm used to hearing.

Thanks for the suggestions. So, ProAc and Usher are known for warmth too? I don't know that I need warmth, just something to take the edge off compressed recordings. It's so tricky these days. I remember 15 years ago I could put a CD in and listen to Cerwin Vega 12" 3-ways without listening fatigue, lol.

I've been searching, literally, for years to find speakers I love as much as the Dynaudio's. The thing I love is vocals, resolution, piano, realistic tones. I can hear the piano pedals being pressed, hear a zylophone in the background, things I never knew existed in a track until I played them on my Dynaudio's.

The delimna is that I'm getting older and listening fatigue kicks in VERY soon now (within 30 minutes). I, unfortunately, listed to a lot of compressed music and I don't know if the Dyn's are bright or if it's the compression but I can no longer listen to my 10+ year favorite speakers.

I'm hoping you can recommend a speaker that still has resolution (ie, hearing piano pedals being pressed) but without being bright.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Keeping in mind your description the only name that spring to my mind at realistic prices is DALI. I feel you must audition DALI Opticon/Rubicon. Also keep checking the 'Gon. There are good deals on Helicons every once in a while. Awesome speakers when paired right that will tick all your boxes.

My budget is about $800 new or used. I've heard everyone loves Dali, but I'm worried they might be bright. I'm VERY sensitive to siblance these days.

After much research I'm starting to highly consider (1) Wharfedale Denton (2) Wharfedale 10.2 (3) ELAC UniFi UB-5

My budget is about $800 new or used. I've heard everyone loves Dali, but I'm worried they might be bright. I'm VERY sensitive to siblance these days.

After much research I'm starting to highly consider (1) Wharfedale Denton (2) Wharfedale 10.2 (3) ELAC UniFi UB-5

Do add the PSBs to the lineup, and also the Dyns

If you are a diy guy like me,you can get one mademade as per your exact requirements. Do consider that option too as imo best speakers are always made and not bought.

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to give the Denton's a shot! I'll let you know how it goes. At some point I'll probably upgrade to Harbeth or Spendor when I save enough.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back