How to handle female voice resonance?

nmurthyk

Hi All,

I am facing a problem with female voice resonance/distortion. This happens when the female voice goes high pitch. The songs I have played is Thaye Yasoda from Ragam movie (Telugu) & some other songs.

My setup is Squeezebox Touch + Caiman (Gator board) + Marantz PM7001 + Quad 11L2.

My listening room is an L shape hall. I have placed the speakers in one part of the hall which makes it effectively a rectangular room. The speakers are positioned 4' from rare wall & 1' from side walls.

It was not this bad initially but I am hearing this resonance recently when I have moved the speakers. Now I forgot the original position:sad:.

Can anybody please suggest what can be the reason for this and how to rectify it.
I mean how the placement affects this in terms of positioning from rare wall or side wall or angle?

Thanks in advance.

You are most likely suffering from the effects of early reflections. Try placing mats (or rugs/carpets) in front of the speakers to begin with, you might also need some carpeting on the floor between the speakers and your listening position. Move the speakers a bit more into the room and away from the side walls (4 ft from the rear wall is good distance). If you have glass on the side walls (cupboards with glass doors, windows) try moving or covering them and see if that helps.

Quads are generally not bright so play around a bit with the speaker placement and diffusing reflection spots and see if you get the sound you like.

It could be present in the recording itself. Did you get the album new?
My opinion on Indian material goes down by each passing day. (except ARR stuff)

sibilance is a major problem in most indian recordings (including ARR stuff). I have observed some improvement by not having any toe-in (speakers looking straight) or a slight toe-in.

The other thing is distance between you and the speakers. As you go farther, the treble energy reduces. Although I am a big fan of open placed speakers as far away from rear and side as possible, but you don't need 4' gap behind your Quad 11Ls. Push them back and see. If you can pull your seat away further, even that should be fine.

IMO, this this distortion does not have anything to do with your room placement or bad recording. It could be your tweeter or a faulty capacitor in your crossover. Sometimes, it could be because of defective cables as well. You can isolate the issue by doing a few tests.

Many years ago, I have had this issue in my car's Pioneer tweeter. On opening it, I noticed that the glue had come loose in a few areas causing it to resonate. So I fixed it again carefully with glue. The problem was solved and it is running fine even today.

Thanks All for valuable suggestions.

I will try your tips tomorrow (weekend).

@Blasto:
The record is a original one (bought the cd and converted to flac and playing the flac). And I remember listening the same songs sometime back with out that much resonance.

@Santhos:
Can you please suggest me how to check if this is a tweeter issue (Hope it should not be - I bought them just 6 months back)

Every married audiophile may look into this thread expecting a solution for female voice resonance when you plan to buy a new gear. :)

Every married audiophile may look into this thread expecting a solution for female voice resonance when you plan to buy a new gear. :)

Seems that you are not married (or you have an audiophile wife). Otherwise you would have understood that it is not female voice resonance, it is female voice distortion with muted male frequencies. :D

Seems that you are not married (or you have an audiophile wife). Otherwise you would have understood that it is not female voice resonance, it is female voice distortion with muted male frequencies. :D

The female voice goes into the third octave when new gear is purchased. It just happened to me.:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Flutter echoes - you've to learn how to deal with these in the room using appropriate treatment at particular places.

Fighting sibilance can be a nightmare - as there're multiple places in a system that can give rise to this.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back