how to interface with TV & BD/DVD ONKYO 3400 audio & video for best setting

ashish7811

i have purchased recently onkyo 3400 ,samusung LED 40 inch TV & LG BLUE RAY player.

right now i have connect all the device with 2 HDMI cable (BDP-->ONKYO(IN)--->onkyo(out)---->LED TV)

and my TV setup box(cable) is connected to TV and ONKYO for analog signal.

and i have also optical audio cable.

should i use it..or not for 5.1 channle..or HDMI is enough ..??

please tell me best connection for these devices....??

Hdmi is enough and you have connected your setup in best possible way,enjoy your av:)

but i want to knnow also about what is PCM multichannel audio ?
is it supports true 5.1 surround effects ot it convert only 2.1 to 5.1 channel ?
and what is direct mode in my receiver ??

Hi Ashish,

Read the sticky thread in this section on AVR connectivity, so you understand what each cable does what is better and how it works.

Post that people can help you with their suggestions.

The setup box, if its a non-HD version, then connect it directly to the TV using composite (red,white and yellow). If you connect the audio through the Onkyo it will be artificially boosting up the sound which may not be good for long listening.

A slightly better option maybe to use the component cable(Green, blue, red) for video from the setup box (if it supports it) to the TV. The audio may not change much from composite to coax to optical considering the source cable quality.

The blu ray player should be connected to the onkyo via hdmi and there should be a hdmi connection from the onkyo to the TV.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back