How to play .FLAC files

ash147

Hi!

I would like you guys to comment on how to play .FLAC music files on a DVD player.I can play these files on my laptop using VLC media player.

Can I burn .FLAC files directly onto a blank CD/DVD using nero burn CD software? if I insert that CD/DVD into my samsung DVD player will it play like a normal CD/DVD having .wav,.mp3 music files ?

Thanks in advance

You cannot play a FLAC file on a DVD Player.

As far as I know there are no CD or DVD players that can play a FLAC file. The format has not become popular enough like the MP3, so the player manufacturers have not included the CODEC in their players. You must use a computer or a NMT that can understand and play FLAC files.

Cheers

Hi!

I would like you guys to comment on how to play .FLAC music files on a DVD player.I can play these files on my laptop using VLC media player.

Can I burn .FLAC files directly onto a blank CD/DVD using nero burn CD software? if I insert that CD/DVD into my samsung DVD player will it play like a normal CD/DVD having .wav,.mp3 music files ?

Thanks in advance

use nero to burn the flac files as a audio cd - I assume your DVD player plays audio cds. Just check if you have the flac plugin in nero - just drag and drop the flac files and nero will do the conversion and write a audio cd for you.

Alternately you can try some other free SW easily available on the internet.

use nero to burn the flac files as a audio cd - I assume your DVD player plays audio cds. Just check if you have the flac plugin in nero - just drag and drop the flac files and nero will do the conversion and write a audio cd for you.

Alternately you can try some other free SW easily available on the internet.

Thanks supra.Yeah my DVD player can play audio CDs.It can play formats as .wav & .mp3.
I downloaded and installed the .flac plugin in the nero CD buring software installed on my laptop.
Will try to burn a CD as per ur guidelines tonite when I go back home.

You cannot play a FLAC file on a DVD Player.

As far as I know there are no CD or DVD players that can play a FLAC file. The format has not become popular enough like the MP3, so the player manufacturers have not included the CODEC in their players. You must use a computer or a NMT that can understand and play FLAC files.

Cheers

Thanks venkat.I think u r abs correct in saying that no CD/DVD player can play .flac files directly.They have to converted to a proper format like .mp3 or .wav to be played on the CD/DVD player.I'll follow steps mentioned in supra's reply and check.

Hi,

You can burn the flac file as an audio cd directly, using a software called media monkey. In this way it remains lossless audio. Dont convert it into mp3.

cheers,
sri

Hi!

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately there is no indication of any manufacturer supporting flac nor or in the near future. Media monkey is a good music management system that can burn it onto audio disks or convert to mp3 and those sorts of things. Foobar 2000 is also able to do but I have not tried it personally.

Thanks venkat.I think u r abs correct in saying that no CD/DVD player can play .flac files directly.They have to converted to a proper format like .mp3 or .wav to be played on the CD/DVD player.I'll follow steps mentioned in supra's reply and check.

Ash, Srikarkav, and Supra. I must be missing something here. I am assuming Ash is converting his Audio CDs into FLAC for backup and playing from a PC. Why convert that back to an Audio CD? Unless he has got the FLAC files form a friend or from the Net.

Cheers

Hi!

Thanks in advance

I use Ashampoo Burning Studio for this, to convert from FLAC/OGG/MP3/WAV/WMA to normal Audio CD.

Ash, Srikarkav, and Supra. I must be missing something here. I am assuming Ash is converting his Audio CDs into FLAC for backup and playing from a PC. Why convert that back to an Audio CD? Unless he has got the FLAC files form a friend or from the Net.

Cheers

He doesn't indicate as such in his original post. I have a feelign he wants to play downloaded ones via his DVDP probably with better speakers.

He doesn't indicate as such in his original post. I have a feelign he wants to play downloaded ones via his DVDP probably with better speakers.

Yeah you are absolutly correct marsilians.I downloaded the files from the internet and wanna play thru my dvdp using my new mission speakers.People are saying it is possible to burn directly to a CD using softwares like ashampoo,media monkey etc.But my point here is after burning onto a CD using the anyone of the above mentioned softwares will my samsung DVD player be able to play them !!!

Yeah you are absolutly correct marsilians.I downloaded the files from the internet and wanna play thru my dvdp using my new mission speakers.People are saying it is possible to burn directly to a CD using softwares like ashampoo,media monkey etc.But my point here is after burning onto a CD using the anyone of the above mentioned softwares will my samsung DVD player be able to play them !!!

Yes use nero (version 8 - 9 is bloated) with FLAC plugin - you would not notice much of a difference in the budget systems.

Yes course it will play in your DVD player, as you will be burning out normal audio CDs. Just ensure that you choose this option correctly as shown below:

23svscl.jpg

When you select "Burn or Rip Music" you need to click on the 1st option "Create an Audio CD".
As mentioned therein, it can be played on normal CD Players. In your case the DVD Player.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks in advance

Hi venkat,

He wants to play his downloaded flac files on his DVD player.Since his DVDP can play audio cds,the only way to play flac is to convert the flac into audio cd format which will remain lossless too.

Hi ash,

I have done it. Using media monkey i have converted Ddownloaded flac files into audio cd's .And they play fine on my Philips DVDP.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:

You have 3 yes's and that means you are good to go!

I downloaded FLAC files from the websites in search of better music for my Sony 5.1 home theatre system. I burned it into a DVD as Data DVD, but the error message in my DVD player was " UNKNOWN FILE FORMAT ", then I burnt is as a jukebox disk still got the same error message. I converted the FLAC files to .M4V format using the AVS audio converter, with 5.1 conversion settings, that played in my DVD player but then the details said it was only a 2 channel stereo and the 5.1 channel effect was still missing. Now I am upto trying the Foobar 2000, lets see what the results are.

If the DVD player has an ethernet/wireless connection and supports DLNA, you can directly stream the flac files to it using a free DLNA media server. No need to burn any CDs. Actually if any of your TV (with ARC), Amp/AVR or DVD player supports DLNA, you can stream the flac files and avoid writing CDs.

Conversion = Quality loss. High time to move on from mechanical disc players to these and play content from USB Hard drives and pen drives. Cheapest way to do that is by investing in this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ASUS-O-Play-...2?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2314419e9a

Supports almost everything:

Video : MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, RM, RMVB, VC-1, H.264
Video File Extension : TRP, MP4, MOV, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, FLV, TS, MTS, M2TS, DAT, MPG, VOB, ISO
Audio : MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS 2.0 +Digital out, Dolby True HD (Passthrough), Dolby True HD (Decoding), Tag ID3
Image : JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF
Subtitle : SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA, TXT.

Or higher end models as per need and fancy ;)

Last edited:
Conversion = Quality loss.

Absolutely incorrect, not always!

FLAC is lossless format. If FLAC is converted into any other lossless format like audio CD format, wave or monkeys audio etc. There would not be any loss(assuming using correct software)

However, if FLAC is converted into some lossy compressed format like MP3 and such MP3 is again back converted to FLAC then there there would be quality loss.

Last edited:
Back