how to play .flac format files in my pioneer cd player?

pratik_gujar18

Hi everyone,
i have downloaded a Diana Krall jazz album in .flac format(24 bit/96 khz) and want to play it on my cdp without any audio quality losses...how to go abt it...should i burn it in a dvd format?..plz suggest:)

AFAIK, you cant play them on a CDP. Audio CD's are limited to 16 Bit, 44.1 kHz, whereas the FLAC files are 24/96.

You can play them directly from a PC (you'll need a 24 bit soundcard) through an external DAC. Since the files are high resolution, the D to A conversion through an outboard DAC would probably allow you to hear the difference due to those extra 8 bits !!

You can use media players which support 24/96 flac files.

Another option is to go through the DVD route -
burn them as a DVD video disc (note that the DVD video format supports sample rates of only 48 kHz or 96 kHz).
[ii] burn them as a DVD audio disc - this will allow almost any sample rate but most older / entry level DVD players will not be DVD audio compatible.

you can convert the flac files to wav format and burn the cd using nero in audio format. the bitrate remains same.

Hi pratik,

Download and install foobar2000, also install CDburning software along with it , now from foobar playlist select the songs, and rightclick your mouse, choose burn to CD option, the selected songs willl be burned to CD in CDDA format, now you can play your songs thro the DVD player.

N.Murali

FLAC conversion to WAV and then burning to CD has been discussed before in HFV. However, I think OP's query was different. He is more interested in knowing -

(a) whether, after such conversion and burning to CD, the files will retain the 24/96 quality and
(b) whether the CDP will be able to play it in 24/96 format, i.e. without downsampling

Common sense seems to indicate that while the first may be possible (I think I read somewhere that the sampling rate of a WAV file can vary from 1 Hz to 4 odd GHz), the second may not be because that would pre-suppose that the DAC in the CDp is capable of processing sampling rates which are not part of the Redbook standard.

Of course, the above is purely my logic and I may be totally off the mark. Request someone to please enlighten us re: (a) & (b) above.

Best of luck if you think they are lossless. In most cases they will be 320kpbs mp3s converted to flac.

Nice timely thread. Thanks to OP. You download flac files...how do you know they are flac indeed apart from their extension? how to check if they are lossless or not?

Best of luck if you think they are lossless. In most cases they will be 320kpbs mp3s converted to flac.

??????????/

On what basis this claim is made?
I have seen manytimes the "converters" put EAC report with downloads ,so you say they fudge the report too??

Hearing some flacs i downloaded (using torrent) i could easily make out they were not converted from original cds.
- Alanis Morissette - The collection
- Whitney Houston - I look to you
- Paul Oakenfold - The greatest hits and remixes
- Vivaldi - Four Seasons

I can say of 10 downloads, 4 are not at the quality i would expect from a original cd.

How can something which is not backed by any corporation, not supported by an institution, not backed by any government, not involving any monetory benefit to the uploader...be expected to be 100% in quality. Social Service ??

Last edited:
Hearing some flacs i downloaded (using torrent) i could easily make out they were not converted from original cds.
- Alanis Morissette - The collection
- Whitney Houston - I look to you
- Paul Oakenfold - The greatest hits and remixes
- Vivaldi - Four Seasons

I can say of 10 downloads, 4 are not at the quality i would expect from a original cd.

How can something which is not backed by any corporation, not supported by an institution, not backed by any government, not involving any monetory benefit to the uploader...be expected to be 100% in quality. Social Service ??

forget flac then why people load 50 Gb of BD ISO? That to seprated in 100's of files?

OR THEY UPCONVERT 650 MB VCD INTO 50 GB BD -SO??

iS THERE A LOGICAL ANSWER?

There are instances where people uploaded Flac ripped from Vinyl,with all covers scanned ,sometimes even mentioning the equipments which used in the process.....

Can you explain that?

Also taking a cd - ripping into flac and uploading is logically easier than first converting into / sourcing MP3 , then reconverting into FLAC and then uploading right???

?

This cld be if ripped with lower bitrate(EAC has option)OR as Hemant said,if derived from Vinyl,there will be convertion from analog to Digital.

And then there are some smart guys who convert mp3 to flac with the hope of improvement in quality. If you listen to such FLAC it is definitely not going to be better than mp3, if not worse.

This cld be if ripped with lower bitrate(EAC has option)OR as Hemant said,if derived from Vinyl,there will be convertion from analog to Digital.

have you tested yourself?
whoever rip vinyl has good gear and manytimes it may sound better

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back