How to play mp3 and FLAC files on my Arcam stereo setup

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi,
I have an Arcam CD73 player and Arcam A70/P80 amplification driving Energy Veritas 2.2i bookshelves. The CDP can play only standard CDs though it does have digital outs.
On the same AV rack I have a Pioneer BDP-450 blu ray player and a Pioneer LX57 AVR. The HT speakers are satellites all round. The 450 has only HDMI & coaxial outs.

I have been wondering if there is some way I could conveniently play mp3 (192 to 320 kbps) and stereo FLAC files on the stereo setup from pen drive/laptop/HDD.
Was thinking of using the DAC of the AVR by connecting a line out (there is a DVR out) to a line in on the Arcam A70? Is this safe?
Would it give me reasonably similar SQ as a dedicated DAC? The AVR has ESS Sabre 32 Ultra Audio DAC.

I have given illustrations of the connectivity options of the CD73, A70 & LX57 in the attachment.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9o6vycyurywdd9/JGKSYtg31z

Was thinking of using the DAC of the AVR by connecting a line out (there is a DVR out) to a line in on the Arcam A70? Is this safe?
They are not line out- most likely pre-outs. You can connect directly to your stereo amp. Perfectly safe.
Would it give me reasonably similar SQ as a dedicated DAC? The AVR has ESS Sabre 32 Ultra Audio DAC.

It depends on which DAC you are comparing to. It will not be better than your CD player for sure. Moreover you are using two pre-s in such a setup. One in AVR and one more in Amp. There will be a slight degradation in SQ.

Now question is whether your AVR plays flac on USB? The specs say it can play DSD so most certainly it should be able to play flac.

Remember one thing that an Av reciever will never give analog out for a digital input.

Huh?

Theoretically, after looking at a pic of the back of your AVR, your plan to connect the DVR audio out to your amp should work. The manual for the AVR states that it can play MP3 and FLAC files via USB.
Please check pages 45 & 46 of the manual, you may have to make changes to ensure DVR audio out is sending out the signals from your MP3 and FLAC files.
Another option could be to use the front left and right pre-out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the quick replies:clapping:

They are not line out- most likely pre-outs. You can connect directly to your stereo amp. Perfectly safe.

It depends on which DAC you are comparing to. It will not be better than your CD player for sure. Moreover you are using two pre-s in such a setup. One in AVR and one more in Amp. There will be a slight degradation in SQ.

Now question is whether your AVR plays flac on USB? The specs say it can play DSD so most certainly it should be able to play flac.

Theoretically, after looking at a pic of the back of your AVR, your plan to connect the DVR audio out to your amp should work. The manual for the AVR states that it can play MP3 and FLAC files via USB.

Yeah, I could never get my terminology right:D
Seems there is no harm in trying it out:). If it is not good, I will consider a DAC. This, I suppose could be between the BDP and the stereo amp? The BDP has a coax out.
I will use the BDPs USB jack. This is more flexible in the files that can be played and is also faster for scrolling and selection than the AVR.

+100 to Santy's Huh?
Even if the AVR route works, I would switch to using the BDP for playing back audio files and hooking it up to the amp. At some stage, I would add a DAC.

Even if the AVR route works, I would switch to using the BDP for playing back audio files and hooking it up to the amp. At some stage, I would add a DAC.

The BDP does not have analog output. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
To give an update, the DVR route did not work. Suspect the AVR may need an input connection from the same source:confused:.
Have gone the Zone 2 route. Playing FLAC etc from USB. Working beautifully. SQ better than what I had expected:).
The caveat is that HDMI sources cannot be fed to Zone 2. Thus the BDP could not be used for USB playback.

If possible get Arcam rLink ( Arcam - rLink - SPDIF DAC (Coax / Optical) ) I have the rPac and it sounds really good (but has only USB input). I assume rLink should also sound nice.

Well, I have been looking at the DAC solutions on the forum and on the net. Here, for now at least, I have boiled it down to Arcam rPAC, MF VDAC II & V90, Peachtree DAC-iT, Schiit Bifrost, Audio GD NFB 3.33 (on sale by a FM). I fear this not the end, the way things are going with DACs!
The rLink is out since I do need a USB input.
Applications will be primarily USB to stereo and, as a bonus, CD player to amplification. In this, my contention is that, if I do invest I may as well look into an improvement of SQ for CD playback.
Will a DAC in the above range give me appreciable improvement in SQ for CD playback? Will it be worth the investment of 15-30K? Or will a little more bring me much more?

rPAC has only USB input and rLink has no USB input (One digital coax and one Optical). If you want to use USB input from PC and digital input from CD player then both rPAC and rLink won't be useful. In that case you need rDAC (discontinued) or irDAC.

You're right. My bad.
But the question still remains whether I should invest in a DAC and which one.

If you plan on going for a Arcam Dac I have a mint condition Arcam rDAC-kw ( rdac with wireless functionality using KLEER technology ) along with both the Rwave dongle ( wireless dongle for laptop and PC ) and the Rwand dongle ( dongle for select apple products )

With the Arcam rDAC-kw you will get Coaxial, Optical, USB & Wireless connectivity options and the most important thing is that it sounds great.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back