How to setup TV and projector on the same wall?

anm

What I am looking for? A very good looking clean aesthetic setup.

I have shifted to my faridabad house. I am now wondering how to setup a projector and TV on the same wall.

I have a manual pull down screen. All this while projector screen enjoyed its own space. Now I am thinking of putting up my 50C6500 TV on the main wall.
WAF is a BIG criteria.
TV would be about 2" from the wall. I can hang the projector screen by using an L mount that pushes the screen forward by 2". However, I am afriad that screen getting pulled over the TV may leave scratches on the TV screen.
I can consider buying a motorized screen.
The other issue that I can imagine is since the screen is far away from the wall, and we use ceiling fans, the screen would flutter a lot.

Solution I am thinking of - a good looking wooden panel that extends to the same distance as the TV so that TV and panel surface are in the same plane (I think it is called flush mounting, pls confirm).

Can someone please point me to some images of home theaters. I am assuming a fixed screen is not an option in this case?

Other issues - if I seal the panel from all sides, will it add to the bass boom? If I don't then how to take care of dust and insects (it is a ground floor) going in?

Lastly, can anyone suggest a good carpenter and a good motorized projector screen?

I thought the problem is tough, but it's so tough that there is not a single response! Does WAF makes it not worthy to look at :)

well lets try a simpel diy..

keep a buffer of 2 extra inches between the tv and the screen when is pulled down and as its a manual pull screen you cna always be cautious.

regarding the flutter with the fan. pull down the screen to the max and make accurate spots and then get two hooks fit in the wall on either side and the screen when pulled can be connected to the hooks..

just like few roller curtains.. we pull em down and let it connect to the hook and its fixed.
pull it outta the hook and roll it back again.

but i am not convinced about keeping the tv behind the screen as you will get uneven brightness if is not a 100 % opaque screen.

another weird idea is that instead of hooking the screen up.. hook it below the tv on a elevated rack just below the tv keep it ahead another 2-3 inches and ..

and instead of pulling it down. pull it up and connect to the metal hook on either sides..

they will make is invisible when not in use...

i am not sure how much sensible my thoughts are.. so please bear..

good out of the box thinking. I am also planning to get a motorized screen so manual pull down should not be an issue.

Anant since its your Drawing / Living Room then my advice to your is that Just get you TV fixed on the Wall and then install the screen on the same wall but with the help of an "L" Shaped Bracket to manage the extra distance between the PJ Screen and your TV, you should not worry about the scratches on the TV Surface as Screen is not going to be used all the time and if your do the Math right then the distance between your TV and PJ screen should have some buffer. Then with the help of a good Carpentor get a Pelmet made to Hide that screen frame.
Another option is to mount the screen through the ceiling and then get Extra Masking to it to cover the extra Height, now ask a good carpenter to make a box cover for this screen such that only the bottom part is visible through a creek in that cover and rest of it is hidden inside.
I have the carpenter who can help you out in this problem of your so just let me know and I will send him over to your place to get the job done neatly.

Hey ANM,

Here are some pics of my bedroom setup from 4 years ago with my Pioneer Plasma mounted behind a fixed projector screen with a pulley and counterweight.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/220796/2/Ronnie%20Hifi/first%20ht%20setup?h=f3e35e

After many upgrades and changes, I now have a manual pull-down screen in my bedroom and the fixed screen is in my dedicated HT room, not being used any longer.

Last edited:
sorry, what is not used right now?

Hey ANM,

Here are some pics of my bedroom setup from 4 years ago with my Pioneer Plasma mounted behind a fixed projector screen with a pulley and counterweight.

Dropbox - Photos - Simplify your life

After many upgrades and changes, I now have a manual pull-down screen in my bedroom and the fixed screen is in my dedicated HT room, not being used any longer.

Ashish - what about flutter?

Anant since its your Drawing / Living Room then my advice to your is that Just get you TV fixed on the Wall and then install the screen on the same wall but with the help of an "L" Shaped Bracket to manage the extra distance between the PJ Screen and your TV, you should not worry about the scratches on the TV Surface as Screen is not going to be used all the time and if your do the Math right then the distance between your TV and PJ screen should have some buffer. Then with the help of a good Carpentor get a Pelmet made to Hide that screen frame.
Another option is to mount the screen through the ceiling and then get Extra Masking to it to cover the extra Height, now ask a good carpenter to make a box cover for this screen such that only the bottom part is visible through a creek in that cover and rest of it is hidden inside.
I have the carpenter who can help you out in this problem of your so just let me know and I will send him over to your place to get the job done neatly.

sorry, what is not used right now?

I moved the fixed screen to my dedicated music room along with the projector a couple of years ago.

A few months ago, decided to bring the projector back to my bedroom, at which point, I left the fixed screen in the dedicated music room and got a new pull down screen for my bed room.

I bought the Pull down screen from Zoher and Company in Mumbai. It's a 120 inch diagonal screen which I am now using in my bedroom setup instead of the fixed screen.

The pull down screen has a couple of waves running down vertically across the screen which doesn't seem to go even if I put some weights at the bottom, but I think it's a manufacturing defect. It doesn't seem to bother me when I am watching movies, so haven't bothered changing the screen.

I do have a fan about 4 feet away from the screen, which I don't generally need to use, but if I do put it on, the screen sways quite a bit. However, if I hold the screen down, it doesn't sway anymore. So adding some weights at the bottom might help.

I think there is no solution to the screen flutter if someone wants a neat and classy work.

If one has a a/c in the room then flutter issue will not surface and when we use a great video source such as projector and screen, it does demand a a/c to match the grace of such dynamic viewing and the beauty is that we get a free windfall of watching the movie in great cool comfort especially in hotter climate cites and not to forget that the gadgets breath much better and they remain in better condition.

For air if fan is the only way to go forward then try moving the fan to rear by 2 feet or so, maybe the flutter level will drop.

I think whenever someone buys a projector most of them go for the screen too, i think a a/c is also a must like screen.

V.

Last edited:
thanks Vinay. I do have a 2 tonne AC in my living room. This AC is grossly insufficient since the room size is 20x30 ft and stairs go up to the second floor and therefore too open. I am thinking of investing in another 2 tonnes split AC. Also this wall faces west and hence exposed to very long duration of harsh sun.

I think tying down screens to beautiful looking nails/ hooks may address the flutter.

I am still looking for a good design for back wooden panel as my wife wants it.

Anm,

Indeed you are right that It will be a wise idea to invest in a another a/c, you will kill 3 birds with one stone.

This will solve the screen flutter issue due to fan, a good cool comfort be it watching a movie or for a casual conversation etc. About the harsh sun light, you can always go for thick curtains which will give you some relief rally.

Furthermore you were considering to spend on a motorized screen which will be expensive compared to a manual pull down, so this saving can be diverted to the new a/c.

Finally the new a/c life is expected to last much longer then you can imagine and can act as a second engine like in a aircraft. :licklips:

V.

SurrealStix - Pretty ingenious solution! Quick question - how are you locking in the sliding projector screen? Also, what material is your screen made of?

When its on the ground, any precautions to keep it from getting damaged?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back