How to stream apple music from Android phone to Marantz 7000N amp?

Why is that? I already feel it is better than Spotify.
apple servers transmit the AAC version and not the ALAC version when the end device is not an apple device. ALAC is a proprietary protocol understood only by apple devices

Read these two mamoth posts on what is wrong with apple music and how you can get lossless (which at the moment is consistent only by using iphone or ipad with a usb cable connected to a dac). For cd quality source, you can get lossless with a very old apple device Airport Express 1st generation connected to your avr/amp. See this post https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...to-cd-quality-am-streaming.92927/post-1034732

To summarize
Wrap Up

As it stands now, Apple Music's lossless and Hi-Res offerings are a bit of a soup sandwich. You can't really stream the audio without some type of DSP going on that makes the music different from the lossless version on CD and on other lossless services. My guess is digital watermarking. In addition, it's not possible to get a consistent lossless or Hi-Res stream for other music that I tested, such as that from Reference Recordings. When I ran into similar issues with Amazon Music HD, using its apps just like I used the Apple Music apps, I was happy to find the Amazon Music HD streams lossless and Hi-Res through third party devices from Bluesound. Given that Apple doesn't integrate with Bluesound, I can't test this. Apple does integrate with Sonos, but as I found previously (link), the new Sonos Port can't stream bit perfect either, so a test on that platform would be useless.

I personally use apple music and this is what I have done

1) I use airplay1 using my old airport express connected using an optical toslink cable to my dac. I use this combination most of the time

2) When having drinks I use a different setup. With drinks I really love to enjoy my music. So I have repurposed my mac mini to run apple music app. Since macmini and macbooks cannot play bit perfect easily. They run at fixed sample rate like Apple TV. So I have installed an app which runs in the background and automatically changes the sample rate to match with the song. This mac mini is connnected to my dac using a usb cable and the dac output goes to the amplifer. This is the app that I use https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher. This auto sample rate switching is done only by the apple music app on the IOS devices. The apple music app on the macbooks and the macmini are actually brain dead and hence you require that above open source LosslessSwitcher (link given above).

Read these article too to get an understanding of the lossless mess that apple is currently into.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back