Howz Tannoy HTS 101 + Denon 1713 Combo?

Phanir

Hi Experts,

I've been using this forum from a while in deciding a new HT for my home. I just love this forum which provides so much insight into buying HT.

I've done few auditions and tilting towards buying Tannoy HTS 101 + Denon 1713 + pioneer blue-ray. I'm getting this deal for 85K.

I'm not an experts in looking into nitty-gritty of the specs of these devices, I'm purely going by how it sounded to my ear during the demo and some cross-check of peoples opinions and experts comments on this forum and elsewhere.

Just before I actually go and buy this product, I'd like to hear from the experts here and see if they bless my choice here. If there is anything obvious that I'm missing, I want to correct it now.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Some more information about my requirements:
Living room size : 19 X 14 (in apartment, on 19th floor)
Usage: 60:40 (Movie:Music)

-Phani.

You are in right direction, go for Tannoy HTS 101 but use only warm recievers with it and your Denon 1713 will be perfect for it. The latest '73 Yamaha series is also compatible coz this time it is on more smooth side, so you can check 473 featuring same functions of 1713 at same price. HTS 101 is good for music too. In short, compact cabinets but double size power as these are made of real wood not plastic, available in black colour only.

Thanks Gill, Kittu and pishly!

Appreciate your responses.

I haven't auditioned Deftec as it wasn't available in the places (Pro Fx, Htstore, Vector, Audio dynamics) where I auditioned. Is the price bracket of deftec is similar to Tannoy? I also didn't get to audition wharfedele + Denon combo, heard that is awesome as well.

Gill,
Thanks for blessing. The wood and the black color of Tanoy speakers kind of gels well with my interior and I really loved the Movie as well as music with Tannoy. Are you talking about v4673 of Yamaha? guess only that is in similar price range. Do you know any obvious advantage with Yamaha when compared to Denon 1713?

And I also need some blessing on price for the combo. Listed price for Tannoy HTS 101 is 44K and Denon 1713 is 36K and Pioneer BR is around 20K, if you add up it comes to 1L and I'm getting 15% discount on that. DO you think that is a good deal or I should check elsewhere or bargain lil more?

BTW, I'm based out of Bangalore.

Thanks!

Hi Kittu,

Thanks. I'll do that.

BTW, would like to know from you if the difference in experience between Tannoy and Deftec is significant? and also what about the price is deftec is in similar range as Tannoy?

It will be of great help if you can elaborate little more or point to link/article with the deftec advantages over Tannoy.

Thanks!

As you are on the edge of getting your HT, I will go in detail now :

1st option
As it is you CHOSE, why??
Tannoy HTS 101 - Great 5.1 system from the legendary brand.
Denon 1713 - I think Denon AVR's are on pause mode post their superhit 1912 model, so may be other AVRs have improved a lot in this time period.
Pioneer BDP - powerfull & good, it has the tendency to push back the limitations of Denon 1713, if any.
That's why I gave you the green signal.

2nd Option
Same Tannoy HTS 101
AVR - Yamaha 373/473 as '73 series is getting rave reviews from Dec 2012. Sound is in more control now, on smoother side this time and great surround effects. If you can sacrifice functions like Airplay then 373 is enough for your room.
BDP - Sony S490 here, it is having same functions that of Pioneer at 6,7k less price and may be more detailed picture quality.

Major REASON for these two options - HTS 101 can sound just a littlebit harsh so Denon in your case and Sony BDP S490 in 2nd option will nullify this problem. If Tannoy dealer is having Yamaha then do check with both Denon n Yamaha on same scene of Blu ray disc. I know Tannoy & KEF dealers prefer Denon, but every model & brand acts differently so our job is to match them perfectly for our ears. Do get the decent cables like Chord Leyline etc., Rule of thumb is to spend 10-15% of your total budget on cables. Thanks.

Thanks Gil for the detailed response. That really helps.

The dealer that I'm dealing with has both Denon and Yamaha, I'll demo the same setup with Yamaha today and see how I like that combo.

Since my negotiation was based on combo deal of Pioneer BDP, I don't think I'll be able to cancel that. Nevertheless Pioneer also seems like a good option.

And thanks about the cables, I'll make sure they use the top notch quality one though it might cost little more.

Thanks again for your advice!

If you can sacrifice functions like Airplay then 373 is enough for your room.

Can you please opine on Denon 2113 v/s a Yamaha V473?
So what would be better with Tannoy HTS 101?

Do get the decent cables like Chord Leyline etc., Rule of thumb is to spend 10-15% of your total budget on cables. Thanks.

I plan to buy cables from HiFi Mart? should that be alright or getting Chord Leyline will significantly improve the performance and have longer cable life?

Ash

Hello AshD,

473 is 5.1 AVR having latest functions and 2113 is 7.1 having same functions, so if you are having moderate-large size room like between 260-350 sq.ft. then you can afford the 2 extra satellite speakers(HTS-101 only) for 7.1 setup in future, otherwise go for 473 or 1713 as per your choice & demo there. 1913 if available in India is sufficient for your 7.1 need.

HI-FI Mart usually selling DAC cables, these are fine cables as I own DAC ARX101 interconnect but I also own Chord Carn. Silver screen cable for my stereo 2.0 setup and I like it. I think Chord leyline will make 10% of the difference, it is 16 gauge, Chord's most affordable cable, perfect for HTS 101, Rs.150/m appx., So if you can perceive this 10% difference get Chord.

Best of luck, do tell me your experience?? with both AVRs. Yes, Pioneer BDP is a great buy, go for it. I think Denon will work here perfectly.

I talked to Lokesh @ Htstore who deals with both Yamaha and Denon and he advised me to go with Denon for Tannoy HTS. I respected his expert advise and kind of finalized on that have ordered Tannoy HTHS 101 + Denon 1713 + Pioneer BDP 450. It will take few days to get the whole thing setup and hopefully by next week, I'll have all these setup and will write back on the experience. I'm anxious and excited to have this experience @ my home, keeping finger crossed!

Thanks again Gill!

Congratulations Phanir..

Even I am waiting for your 1st day experience with your new buy. I am sure you will get the perfect result. Give the authority of installation to well qualified technician only as every inch in speaker placement MATTERS. Good Luck.

I respected his expert advise and kind of finalized on that have ordered Tannoy HTHS 101 + Denon 1713 + Pioneer BDP 450.

Congratulations Phanir....
Can you specify the breakup of cost you got in the deal?
Did you check with them for a 1913 or a 2113, if yes please do share that price as well.

Ash

How was the sound phanir

I'm yet to receive the speakers. I'm expecting it by early next week and get the setup done asap. I'll write back on my experience.

The sound @ the showroom was awesome. I was impressed by the subwoofer affect and the over all sound (warm) for both music and video.

Congratulations Phanir....
Can you specify the breakup of cost you got in the deal?
Did you check with them for a 1913 or a 2113, if yes please do share that price as well.

Ash

I didn't check for 1913/2113 as for my requirement 1713 was more than enough.

I kind of got ~16% discount as complete deal.
Here is the breakup:
Tannoy HTS 101 : Actual 44000
Denon 1713 : Actual 36,900
Pioneer BDP : Actual 19,900

Total actual comes to ~ 10100 and I got it for 85K.

-Phani.

Great deal Phanir...

Now I know the benchmark for my negotiations...

Btw any specific reason to go for the Pioneer BDP? Everyone seems to be raving about the Panasonic 200

Ash

I didn't check for 1913/2113 as for my requirement 1713 was more than enough.

I kind of got ~16% discount as complete deal.
Here is the breakup:

Denon 1713 : Actual 36,900

HiFimart is quoting 29k for the 1713..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back