HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Audiolab 6000CDT Dedicated CD Transport

Nitin K

Tried looking up Mr. Kadam of Alliance 4 Audio and Avenue Sound after coming across them here.
But Google says Alliance 4 Audio is 'Permanently Closed' and the Avenue Sound website, which was operational as of July end is now showing a server error.
Hope they are both okay. Feeling terrible to call on Mr. Kadam's number also.
If anyone From Mumbai spoke to either of these establishments recently, could you please share an update?
Hi,
I was in touch with Mr. Kadam recently. His outfit is now called Audiotec. His no. is +91 99 30 813708.
Infact had purchased a subwoofer from him in April. He is a gentleman to the core and always had a good buying experience from him..

k-pad

Hi,
I was in touch with Mr. Kadam recently. His outfit is now called Audiotec. His no. is +91 99 30 813708.
Infact had purchased a subwoofer from him in April. He is a gentleman to the core and always had a good buying experience from him..
Super, bro. Thanks
Will surely get in touch with him.
Another FM, too, recently pinged to say they spoke to him.

So, glad to hear. I got scared cos when i searched with the old company name, Google showed it as permanently shut.

Nitin K

Super, bro. Thanks
Will surely get in touch with him.
Another FM, too, recently pinged to say they spoke to him.

So, glad to hear. I got scared cos when i searched with the old company name, Google showed it as permanently shut.
Most welcome K-pad. All the best and hope you get what you want.

k-pad

An unrelated update:
After all the reading done in this quest, I played around with the current tiny sub I now have with my desktop setup. Moved it from under my solid wood work desk (kept there when the speakers arrived to save space in the first place), and placed it in a few places to see how the LFs play.
0. Earlier (under desk) the bass was kinda big, yes, but when it went very low with some hip-hop tracks, it did agitate my desk a bit, resulting in a bit of desk-floor rattle.
1. Got much better response when I moved it out from under the desk today. The first position I tried also happened to be closer to the room's window. Now, while the bass was tighter, the real lows (as much as this fellow could play) continued to rattle the windows (and the desk less than before).
2. Finally managed to find a place more to the middle of the room away from the windows, from the desk (thank god for the decent cable length) and boy, it has made a world of difference!
After several movie clips, I feel the LF now tighter, and for some reason I have even been able to turn down the volume a bit! Most of all, am able to set a volume level so not to be too loud, and the dialogues are much, much clearer, while providing an encompassing ambience when the bass kicks in! It all feels one of a piece and so immersive!

I dunno if there are broader lessons here besides 1. play around with your set-up, 2. play around with your set-up, and 3. play around with your set-up. :D
And if I have to venture, maybe I will add this: if you have a sub in a small room, find some breathing room for both the port and the driver.

PS: Am a proper noob and by penning this, i really do not mean to come across like am preaching to the high priests. Just wanted to leave a personal experience here, maybe for fellow newbies with a small room, who i have seen are the most worried lot in this forum. :D
Cheers!

k-pad

Had a listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and Paradigm SE 6000. Both powered by a Marantz 5015. Listen to them by themselves once, paired with an SVS SB 1000 first and the PB 2000. It was an open room.

Was able to listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and the Paradigm SE 6000Fs.
Both were in a room open wide on one side, powered by the base model Marantz.
Played movie clips and a few hip-hop songs that I frequently listen to with just the L-Rs once, then paired with the PB-2000 (which really filled their room) and finally, with the SB-1000 (which would be ideal for my room, but just didn't have any oomph in that room)
I might catch a lot of flak for this, but the Dalis sounded really flat on their own. They really required a sub for both the movie clips and music. It really is just me and my taste, but felt really terrible after getting my hopes high.

The Paradigms were quite the surprise, sounding pretty dynamic for the movie clips, and held their own with the songs without the subs. The SVS really added to them on second listening. They were like that student in class who could effortlessly score 70-75 in all subjects but never went beyond.

Will try out a few other brands in similar budget range next week before wrapping up the search.
Listened to the Dali Oberon 5s, and was really blown away.
The seller had his set-up in a residential place, with a treated room.
It was paired with the Denon 3600 and everything from the sound-stage to the bass was way better than the Oberon 7 I had heard earlier! Dunno why that happened - only reason I can think of is the Marantz 5015 they were mated with. I think it is the receiver because I even had a second listen to the 7s in a closed treated room and there was not much of a difference from the first poor impression.

The 5s, though, were superb. :)

argho

Listened to the Dali Oberon 5s, and was really blown away.
The seller had his set-up in a residential place, with a treated room.
It was paired with the Denon 3600 and everything from the sound-stage to the bass was way better than the Oberon 7 I had heard earlier! Dunno why that happened - only reason I can think of is the Marantz 5015 they were mated with. I think it is the receiver because I even had a second listen to the 7s in a closed treated room and there was not much of a difference from the first poor impression.

The 5s, though, were superb. :)

I have the Dali Oberon 5s. I think they are superb.
I think Dali got it just right with this model.

I have seen this before with speakers - that the next more expensive in the lineup , may not be neccessarily better.

k-pad

I have the Dali Oberon 5s. I think they are superb.
I think Dali got it just right with this model.
How so true!
It was a bit of a bummer when i experienced it first hand - not that i was looking at the 7s as an active purchase option, but since i happened to listen to them first, i was left cold. Was not even going to listen to the 5s after that experience. But then, again just happened to listen to them within a few days.
The 5s just blew my mind away! The difference was night and day...

I have seen this before with speakers - that the next more expensive in the lineup , may not be neccessarily better.
Wonder why that is, though...