HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Tried looking up Mr. Kadam of Alliance 4 Audio and Avenue Sound after coming across them here.
But Google says Alliance 4 Audio is 'Permanently Closed' and the Avenue Sound website, which was operational as of July end is now showing a server error.
Hope they are both okay. Feeling terrible to call on Mr. Kadam's number also.
If anyone From Mumbai spoke to either of these establishments recently, could you please share an update?
Hi,
I was in touch with Mr. Kadam recently. His outfit is now called Audiotec. His no. is +91 99 30 813708.
Infact had purchased a subwoofer from him in April. He is a gentleman to the core and always had a good buying experience from him..

Hi,
I was in touch with Mr. Kadam recently. His outfit is now called Audiotec. His no. is +91 99 30 813708.
Infact had purchased a subwoofer from him in April. He is a gentleman to the core and always had a good buying experience from him..
Super, bro. Thanks
Will surely get in touch with him.
Another FM, too, recently pinged to say they spoke to him.

So, glad to hear. I got scared cos when i searched with the old company name, Google showed it as permanently shut.

Super, bro. Thanks
Will surely get in touch with him.
Another FM, too, recently pinged to say they spoke to him.

So, glad to hear. I got scared cos when i searched with the old company name, Google showed it as permanently shut.
Most welcome K-pad. All the best and hope you get what you want.

An unrelated update:
After all the reading done in this quest, I played around with the current tiny sub I now have with my desktop setup. Moved it from under my solid wood work desk (kept there when the speakers arrived to save space in the first place), and placed it in a few places to see how the LFs play.
0. Earlier (under desk) the bass was kinda big, yes, but when it went very low with some hip-hop tracks, it did agitate my desk a bit, resulting in a bit of desk-floor rattle.
1. Got much better response when I moved it out from under the desk today. The first position I tried also happened to be closer to the room's window. Now, while the bass was tighter, the real lows (as much as this fellow could play) continued to rattle the windows (and the desk less than before).
2. Finally managed to find a place more to the middle of the room away from the windows, from the desk (thank god for the decent cable length) and boy, it has made a world of difference!
After several movie clips, I feel the LF now tighter, and for some reason I have even been able to turn down the volume a bit! Most of all, am able to set a volume level so not to be too loud, and the dialogues are much, much clearer, while providing an encompassing ambience when the bass kicks in! It all feels one of a piece and so immersive!

I dunno if there are broader lessons here besides 1. play around with your set-up, 2. play around with your set-up, and 3. play around with your set-up. :D
And if I have to venture, maybe I will add this: if you have a sub in a small room, find some breathing room for both the port and the driver.

PS: Am a proper noob and by penning this, i really do not mean to come across like am preaching to the high priests. Just wanted to leave a personal experience here, maybe for fellow newbies with a small room, who i have seen are the most worried lot in this forum. :D
Cheers!

Had a listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and Paradigm SE 6000. Both powered by a Marantz 5015. Listen to them by themselves once, paired with an SVS SB 1000 first and the PB 2000. It was an open room.

Was able to listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and the Paradigm SE 6000Fs.
Both were in a room open wide on one side, powered by the base model Marantz.
Played movie clips and a few hip-hop songs that I frequently listen to with just the L-Rs once, then paired with the PB-2000 (which really filled their room) and finally, with the SB-1000 (which would be ideal for my room, but just didn't have any oomph in that room)
I might catch a lot of flak for this, but the Dalis sounded really flat on their own. They really required a sub for both the movie clips and music. It really is just me and my taste, but felt really terrible after getting my hopes high.

The Paradigms were quite the surprise, sounding pretty dynamic for the movie clips, and held their own with the songs without the subs. The SVS really added to them on second listening. They were like that student in class who could effortlessly score 70-75 in all subjects but never went beyond.

Will try out a few other brands in similar budget range next week before wrapping up the search.
Listened to the Dali Oberon 5s, and was really blown away.
The seller had his set-up in a residential place, with a treated room.
It was paired with the Denon 3600 and everything from the sound-stage to the bass was way better than the Oberon 7 I had heard earlier! Dunno why that happened - only reason I can think of is the Marantz 5015 they were mated with. I think it is the receiver because I even had a second listen to the 7s in a closed treated room and there was not much of a difference from the first poor impression.

The 5s, though, were superb. :)

It was paired with the Denon 3600 and everything from the sound-stage to the bass was way better than the Oberon 7 I had heard earlier! Dunno why that happened - only reason I can think of is the Marantz 5015 they were mated with. I think it is the receiver because I even had a second listen to the 7s in a closed treated room and there was not much of a difference from the first poor impression.

I have the Dali Oberon 5s. I think they are superb.
I think Dali got it just right with this model.

I have seen this before with speakers - that the next more expensive in the lineup , may not be neccessarily better.

I have the Dali Oberon 5s. I think they are superb.
I think Dali got it just right with this model.
How so true!
It was a bit of a bummer when i experienced it first hand - not that i was looking at the 7s as an active purchase option, but since i happened to listen to them first, i was left cold. Was not even going to listen to the 5s after that experience. But then, again just happened to listen to them within a few days.
The 5s just blew my mind away! The difference was night and day...

I have seen this before with speakers - that the next more expensive in the lineup , may not be neccessarily better.
Wonder why that is, though...

Listened to the PSB Alpha T20s, and the Martin Logan Motion 40i.
Again, the set up may have had all to do with it, but the Rs 2 lakh retail price 40is had nothing on the Rs 3 lakh retail price 60XTis... Left me feeling pretty cold.

The PSBs, on the other hand, mother of god, blew it out of the waters.
Their Canadian cousins Paradigms are extremely well rated in forums, but these PSBs (MRP 60K INR) just destroy the Paradigm 6000SEs (MRP 90-odd K)

Anyone looking for a budget option should look at them definitely. Seriously can't understand why they don't get more love over here in India! Especially in the VFM market - What the Klipshes and the Dalis do at their price points, the PSBs do better and how! And at what a cut in the budget.

Now, onwards I go to the KEF, QA and the last couple of towers in my budget.

Anyone who has had experience with the Definitive Technology base model towers in Mumbai, kindly lemme know where I can listen to them...

Thanks and regards

Anyone who has had experience with the Definitive Technology base model towers in Mumbai, kindly lemme know where I can listen to them...
You can listen to Definitive Technology at Audio Check, contact person Mohsin, inside Laxmi Industrial Estate , Andheri West.
I found the Definitives to be overpriced although I didn't demo the Towers.

You can listen to Definitive Technology at Audio Check, contact person Mohsin, inside Laxmi Industrial Estate , Andheri West.
I found the Definitives to be overpriced although I didn't demo the Towers.
Thanks a ton, Nitin!
Will check.
Regards

Listened to the PSB Alpha T20s, and the Martin Logan Motion 40i.
Again, the set up may have had all to do with it, but the Rs 2 lakh retail price 40is had nothing on the Rs 3 lakh retail price 60XTis... Left me feeling pretty cold.

The PSBs, on the other hand, mother of god, blew it out of the waters.
Their Canadian cousins Paradigms are extremely well rated in forums, but these PSBs (MRP 60K INR) just destroy the Paradigm 6000SEs (MRP 90-odd K)

Anyone looking for a budget option should look at them definitely. Seriously can't understand why they don't get more love over here in India! Especially in the VFM market - What the Klipshes and the Dalis do at their price points, the PSBs do better and how! And at what a cut in the budget.

Now, onwards I go to the KEF, QA and the last couple of towers in my budget.

Thanks and regards
Listened to the older Dali Opticon 6. Paired with a NAD putting out 70W to each channel. Sounded way better than the Oberons or any other pair of speakers I had heard but one --> the Martin Logan 60XTi, which is quickly becoming the reference to my ears. The Opticon was missing the separation that the bigger MLs had.

The high-frequencies were really there in the Opticon, and the soundstage was damn good, but that -- i don't know how to put it, so kindly put up with my unscientific phrase - "vacuum-like" separation that I heard in the bigger ML 60XTis wasn't there.

The separation of the high-mid-low was so distinct in the MLs - everything was exactly where it should be. It was missing in the Opticons, where the feeling I got was that everything was a little bit overlapping...
I really don't know if I have explained it well, so kindly excuse if it doesn't make sense.

I was kinda hoping my search might come to an end here, but sadly looks like not to be...

On another note, the auditioning is maddening - Every listen leads to a new point, I envy FMs who have mentioned here earlier that they have done almost a year, year+ of auditions... Hope I meet the sound of my soul soon enough. :)

Your posts in this thread stand in stark contrast to our conversation in the other thread.

+100 points for the drawings

-100 points for hip-hop

;)

Random advice, you need DSP. If you can spare 30k odd (last I checked) Behringer DCX2496. Some people prefer miniDSP (much cheaper, more consumer oriented), I do not.

Have Fun!

Your posts in this thread stand in stark contrast to our conversation in the other thread.
How so? Like, which aspect?
If i have to take a guess, I think the experiences laid out in this thread led me to asking that question I think...

+100 points for the drawings

-100 points for hip-hop
Haha! The house spread ranges from hip-hop and jazz on one side to pop, country and classical on the other.

;)

Random advice, you need DSP. If you can spare 30k odd (last I checked) Behringer DCX2496. Some people prefer miniDSP (much cheaper, more consumer oriented), I do not.

Have Fun!

In what manner will it specifically help? Will read up, too. Tks

How so? Like, which aspect?
If i have to take a guess, I think the experiences laid out in this thread led me to asking that question I think...

Haha! The house spread ranges from hip-hop and jazz on one side to pop, country and classical on the other.

In what manner will it specifically help? Will read up, too. Tks

A lot more subjective here.

I'm a Metal,Rock,EBM,Synth Pop,Trance,House and Pop guy. I'm okay with Country,Classical. I wouldn't touch Jazz,Rap,Hip Hop/R&B. It's amazing the genres and fusions available today.

Are you not familiar with DSPs? They offer various processing depending upon the company/model. They offer input to output routing ,LPF/HPF of various types, PEQ, Delay (ms/feet), Phase, Shelf filters, Gain,Limiting and more. They are not however intended to decode Dolby/DTS etc, you need a pre/AVR for that. In simple terms they offer great many ways to alter the signal, digitally. IMO it's a must for any serious music lover.

A lot more subjective here.
Ya, guess it comes with more listening and reading. It's been a maddening learning curve so far, and I will not even be surprised if I am still confused when the time comes to plough the money. :D
Are you not familiar with DSPs? They offer various processing depending upon the company/model. They offer input to output routing ,LPF/HPF of various types, PEQ, Delay (ms/feet), Phase, Shelf filters, Gain,Limiting and more. They are not however intended to decode Dolby/DTS etc, you need a pre/AVR for that. In simple terms they offer great many ways to alter the signal, digitally. IMO it's a must for any serious music lover.
Nope, will have to read up. Thought I could set up with an AVR, add an amp later for the front stage and be done. :)
Will check them out.

In a small room (10x12 in this case), aren't towers going to be a challenge bass wise (based on your drawing)?
2 towers and a sub can potentially overwhelm the room.

Cheers,
Raghu

In a small room (10x12 in this case), aren't towers going to be a challenge bass wise (based on your drawing)?
2 towers and a sub can potentially overwhelm the room.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes, it will be an issue. But will have to manage if I want to keep listening and HT in the same space. Fingers crossed and hoping EQ helps

Listened to the older Dali Opticon 6. Paired with a NAD putting out 70W to each channel. Sounded way better than the Oberons or any other pair of speakers I had heard but one --> the Martin Logan 60XTi, which is quickly becoming the reference to my ears. The Opticon was missing the separation that the bigger MLs had.

The high-frequencies were really there in the Opticon, and the soundstage was damn good, but that -- i don't know how to put it, so kindly put up with my unscientific phrase - "vacuum-like" separation that I heard in the bigger ML 60XTis wasn't there.

The separation of the high-mid-low was so distinct in the MLs - everything was exactly where it should be. It was missing in the Opticons, where the feeling I got was that everything was a little bit overlapping...
I really don't know if I have explained it well, so kindly excuse if it doesn't make sense.

I was kinda hoping my search might come to an end here, but sadly looks like not to be...

On another note, the auditioning is maddening - Every listen leads to a new point, I envy FMs who have mentioned here earlier that they have done almost a year, year+ of auditions... Hope I meet the sound of my soul soon enough. :)
Listened to the Q Acoustics 3050i and Concept 40.
The imaging and soundstage were beautiful in both.
Funnily, the lower model (but bigger cabinet) 3050i had a bit more grunt in the lower frequencies than the Concept 40, without ever going boomy. (I guess this must be down to the bigger woofers than the 40s...

The Concept 40 had a stunning warmth to it. The only word I could think of for some guitar notes were 'Smooth'
But as the listening progressed, they sounded soo smooth to the level of being a little too laidback.

While auditioning for speakers are you set on towers or are you also hearing out the stand mounts in the same family?
Keep an open mind, while you are at a dealer hear out the little ones too.
For your room, with a sub in the mix, bookshelf or stand mount speakers may just click.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back