HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

k-pad

May become a long one soliciting suggestions and advice.

Dear all,
Been passively reading this forum ever since I decided to set up an HT. Trust me I have read so much in the last three months, and now I am left with more questions than when I knew nothing and started over. So, I thought I would share my thoughts here and request suggestions and opinion from the veterans.
Quick details: Room size: 10x12; Aiming to build: 5.1.2; Budget: 3.5L-4L, all incl.

The space:
Like I said, it's a 10x12 room, with concrete floor, and block concrete walls, the long (12') sides of which will be shared with the living room on the one side, and the main bedroom on the other side. Flats above and below.
Have attached drawings of a few options. (Behind the recliners is a small work area. Also, I just saw one of those drawings say Gear Cabinet. It is not to house A/V gear, but motorcycle gear. :) )

1. The first is a horizontal set up and almost everyone says it is not advisable.
2. The second is a vertical set up, and I did not like the problem the room door was posing.
3. So, got the okay from the home minister for the repositioning the door to open into the living room, so that the TV-LCR wall can be fully utilised. (I have drawn extra rear and ceiling speakers, which will be a later upgrade. So kindly ignore them)

Questions about space:
1. Can I go ahead with the speakers, set up the place and take a leap of faith that the sound will not leave the room - either to the main bedroom or to the neighbour downstairs. (Am a bit of an owl and, besides some 30 minutes of music in the afternoons, mostly play movies late in the night -- not loud, generally at 60ish dB with dynamic sounds touching around 75 dB) The sub I most likely will pick up is the SB Pro 1000.

2. Or should I just blindly spend the first money on sound-proofing the room and then start building the sound system as and when money is available. If I go down this route, could FMs suggest some good, affordable people?
I live in Mumbai, and currently have a rough verbal quote of Rs 550 per square feet including the window and door. (At 636 sq-ft of wall area, the cost comes to 3.5L)

Speakers:
So, I hope to set up a 5.1.2 within a budget of 3.5L with the following rough break-up: 1L for L-R, 30-50K for the centre channel, and 30K each for a pair of surrounds and ceilings, 75K for the sub, and hopefully 80K for the Denon X2700 if I settle on the Klipsch. If the final speaker demands it, then may have to bump up to the X3700.

I decided to go with floorstanders for their obvious advantages and also because commonly available stands bump up the price of any good bookshelf to that of an equivalent floorstander.

The rains have been bonkers in Bombay this month, and with the Covid restrictions, I have only so far listened to the Klipsch RP-4000F and 5000F so far. I quite like them. The main thing I noticed was that when I heard them I did not feel they were as bright as many say. The mid-range and bass were a world better than the RP-4000F. I really liked the RP-5000F. So, it's a definite option.

Once the rains abate and restrictions are lifted, I plan to request demos from sellers in both Bombay and Pune for the following speakers in my budget:
Dali Oberon 5, Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F, the Q Acoustics 3050i, Emotiva T1+, KEF Q550s, and the Focal Chorus 716s. And though it will shred my budget, I also hope to listen to the Martin Logan Motion 20i.

Questions about speakers:
1. Would you all suggest anything else that you personally like in this budget?

Finally, a couple of general questions:
1. Will this set up be an overkill for this room?
2. And, of course, the room sound-proofing, the cost of which will push back the project by a few months. But if it is the only way to ensure peaceful nights for the missus and no complaints from the downstairs neighbours, I will spend this first and look at the rest later.

Thanks in advance and look forward to what I know will be good advice from this forum.

Attachments

• Option 1 - horizontal.jpg
    Option 1 - horizontal.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Option 2 - horizontal.jpg
    Option 2 - horizontal.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Option 3 - vertical, with door redone.jpg
    Option 3 - vertical, with door redone.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
My room is also similar to yours in dimensions. Go through the thread and you might get some ideas. I would highly recommend you to get an AVR with pre-outs. Skip the 2700. Also check out the clearance sale by my regular dealer. You can further negotiate 10-15% discount. Xtz 95 series and Oberon series are included in that clearance sale which you can consider and save a good amount

Attachments

• F600C407-6E71-4496-97A1-624F554734B5.jpeg
    F600C407-6E71-4496-97A1-624F554734B5.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 460
My room is also similar to yours in dimensions. Go through the thread and you might get some ideas. I would highly recommend you to get an AVR with pre-outs. Skip the 2700. Also check out the clearance sale by my regular dealer. You can further negotiate 10-15% discount. Xtz 95 series and Oberon series are included in that clearance sale which you can consider and save a good amount

Thank you. That's very helpful.
May I PM you?

jokes in the previous reply apart, thank you, bro.
Since you specifically mentioned the pre-outs, i am hoping my receiver drives my speakers at least for the next 5-7 years. Cos once the speakers are locked, they probably are not going anywhere
Will a X2700 not last five years?

jokes in the previous reply apart, thank you, bro.
Since you specifically mentioned the pre-outs, i am hoping my receiver drives my speakers at least for the next 5-7 years. Cos once the speakers are locked, they probably are not going anywhere
Will a X2700 not last five years?
2700 is a good avr but since it has no pre-outs you cannot add a power amplifier. It also does not have individual bass management for dual subwoofers.
How to?! Am lost, sorry. An also laughing - entered a forum, got a response, get agreement, but can't figure out where to click.... and I aspire to bi-wire and bi-amp things! :D :D
If you are going to bi amp then the 2700 will support only a 5.1 set up. You need to click on the forum member and start a conversation

Attachments

• 34CAAAC4-1DDB-4C3B-9986-18FD7F97AE8A.jpeg
    34CAAAC4-1DDB-4C3B-9986-18FD7F97AE8A.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 260
Tried looking up Mr. Kadam of Alliance 4 Audio and Avenue Sound after coming across them here.
But Google says Alliance 4 Audio is 'Permanently Closed' and the Avenue Sound website, which was operational as of July end is now showing a server error.
Hope they are both okay. Feeling terrible to call on Mr. Kadam's number also.
If anyone From Mumbai spoke to either of these establishments recently, could you please share an update?

Alliance 4

Avenue Sound
Thank you so much, sir.

+1

Dear all,
Been passively reading this forum ever since I decided to set up an HT. Trust me I have read so much in the last three months, and now I am left with more questions than when I knew nothing and started over. So, I thought I would share my thoughts here and request suggestions and opinion from the veterans.
Quick details: Room size: 10x12; Aiming to build: 5.1.2; Budget: 3.5L-4L, all incl.

The space:
Like I said, it's a 10x12 room, with concrete floor, and block concrete walls, the long (12') sides of which will be shared with the living room on the one side, and the main bedroom on the other side. Flats above and below.
Have attached drawings of a few options. (Behind the recliners is a small work area. Also, I just saw one of those drawings say Gear Cabinet. It is not to house A/V gear, but motorcycle gear. :) )

1. The first is a horizontal set up and almost everyone says it is not advisable.
2. The second is a vertical set up, and I did not like the problem the room door was posing.
3. So, got the okay from the home minister for the repositioning the door to open into the living room, so that the TV-LCR wall can be fully utilised. (I have drawn extra rear and ceiling speakers, which will be a later upgrade. So kindly ignore them)

Questions about space:
1. Can I go ahead with the speakers, set up the place and take a leap of faith that the sound will not leave the room - either to the main bedroom or to the neighbour downstairs. (Am a bit of an owl and, besides some 30 minutes of music in the afternoons, mostly play movies late in the night -- not loud, generally at 60ish dB with dynamic sounds touching around 75 dB) The sub I most likely will pick up is the SB Pro 1000.

2. Or should I just blindly spend the first money on sound-proofing the room and then start building the sound system as and when money is available. If I go down this route, could FMs suggest some good, affordable people?
I live in Mumbai, and currently have a rough verbal quote of Rs 550 per square feet including the window and door. (At 636 sq-ft of wall area, the cost comes to 3.5L)

Speakers:
So, I hope to set up a 5.1.2 within a budget of 3.5L with the following rough break-up: 1L for L-R, 30-50K for the centre channel, and 30K each for a pair of surrounds and ceilings, 75K for the sub, and hopefully 80K for the Denon X2700 if I settle on the Klipsch. If the final speaker demands it, then may have to bump up to the X3700.

I decided to go with floorstanders for their obvious advantages and also because commonly available stands bump up the price of any good bookshelf to that of an equivalent floorstander.

The rains have been bonkers in Bombay this month, and with the Covid restrictions, I have only so far listened to the Klipsch RP-4000F and 5000F so far. I quite like them. The main thing I noticed was that when I heard them I did not feel they were as bright as many say. The mid-range and bass were a world better than the RP-4000F. I really liked the RP-5000F. So, it's a definite option.

Once the rains abate and restrictions are lifted, I plan to request demos from sellers in both Bombay and Pune for the following speakers in my budget:
Dali Oberon 5, Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F, the Q Acoustics 3050i, Emotiva T1+, KEF Q550s, and the Focal Chorus 716s. And though it will shred my budget, I also hope to listen to the Martin Logan Motion 20i.

2. And, of course, the room sound-proofing, the cost of which will push back the project by a few months. But if it is the only way to ensure peaceful nights for the missus and no complaints from the downstairs neighbours, I will spend this first and look at the rest later.

Thanks in advance and look forward to what I know will be good advice from this forum.
+100 for your 3D room drawing :)

Had a listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and Paradigm SE 6000. Both powered by a Marantz 5015. Listen to them by themselves once, paired with an SVS SB 1000 first and the PB 2000. It was an open room.

Dear all,

The space:

Questions about space:

Speakers:

Was able to listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and the Paradigm SE 6000Fs.
Both were in a room open wide on one side, powered by the base model Marantz.
Played movie clips and a few hip-hop songs that I frequently listen to with just the L-Rs once, then paired with the PB-2000 (which really filled their room) and finally, with the SB-1000 (which would be ideal for my room, but just didn't have any oomph in that room)
I might catch a lot of flak for this, but the Dalis sounded really flat on their own. They really required a sub for both the movie clips and music. It really is just me and my taste, but felt really terrible after getting my hopes high.

The Paradigms were quite the surprise, sounding pretty dynamic for the movie clips, and held their own with the songs without the subs. The SVS really added to them on second listening. They were like that student in class who could effortlessly score 70-75 in all subjects but never went beyond.

Will try out a few other brands in similar budget range next week before wrapping up the search.

Had a listen to the Dali Oberon 7, and Paradigm SE 6000. Both powered by a Marantz 5015. Listen to them by themselves once, paired with an SVS SB 1000 first and the PB 2000. It was an open room.

Played movie clips and a few hip-hop songs that I frequently listen to with just the L-Rs once, then paired with the PB-2000 (which really filled their room) and finally, with the SB-1000 (which would be ideal for my room, but just didn't have any oomph in that room)
I might catch a lot of flak for this, but the Dalis sounded really flat on their own. They really required a sub for both the movie clips and music. It really is just me and my taste, but felt really terrible after getting my hopes high.

The Paradigms were quite the surprise, sounding pretty dynamic for the movie clips, and held their own with the songs without the subs. The SVS really added to them on second listening. They were like that student in class who could effortlessly score 70-75 in all subjects but never went beyond.

Will try out a few other brands in similar budget range next week before wrapping up the search.

Dear all,

The space:

Questions about space:

Speakers:

BTW, has anyone with ceiling/in-wall speakers had any experience with sourcing/building back boxes?

Yeah saw lovef4sound who recently done box for his ceiling atoms speaker u can reach him to know better
Thanks!
Bro, you have some memory! Just found his posts from 2019. His wall was concrete and he found a better solution. I am thinking false ceiling, for which also I found some useful suggestions on his same thread. Should be able to work out a solution locally.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Adding the B&W S602 and the Martin Logan 60XTi to this list, since I listened to them while waiting in the demo room.
The B&Ws (hooked up to the basic Marantz) were too brightly unhinged to my ear - the highs were just all over the place.
If I had to say in my language Tamil -- seeing that so many out here are from down south -- Ore Eraichal (Untrammeled brightness).

The MLs, on the other hand, my god, were divine! If they did not cost so much and I did not have such a small room, I would have walked home with those bad boys.

Has to be said, they were hooked up to an Emotiva amp as opposed to the AVRs that all the others were hooked up to, but boss, I tell you, they sounded like there was a performance happening in front of me!

The two biggest things I noticed were 1. separation, and 2. the stage - the sound enveloped me like I was standing in front of the performers, and there was such great differentiation between the highs and lows... here is where I run out of words. And it was never overtly loud or troublesome to the ear.

I now really want to listen to the Motion 20is and if they even have 30% of these same characteristics, I would snag them, and then bother about making them work in my room later.

So far, the Klipsch and Paradigm seem to be the best fit, in terms of doing everything they were asked to, but I am yet to listen to some heavy hitters in my budget shortlist. Will keep this page updated.

Thanking all FMs, especially the ones who have responded here, and also the ones who may not have even come upon my posts, cos I learn so much in these pages.

PS: Am also a bit of a reader of useless information (basically everything that is printed on anything I see/buy), and I am finding it so much fascinating how much checking out your favourite speakers' specs -- and more importantly, their manuals -- answers so many of your questions than most reviews ever cover!

From my limited experience, Dali pretty much says, put them as close to the wall, but just keep them facing straight, Klipsch is very specific about minimum requirements and making an equilateral triangle at best, or something like the attached pic, but Paradigm straight up goes and says that same thing is what works best for it.

Attachments

• Paradigm.jpg
    Paradigm.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 205
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back