HT Room - Advise

raj691

Dear HT Enthusiasts,

I am new to this forum and amazed at the wisdom some of the members posses in the field of AV. I am a keen enthusiaist and plan to convert a room 14 x 11 into a home theater room. the height of the room is over 11 feet.
The room has one window

The equipment I plan to use in this room are

AV Reciever - Yamaha RXV 2700
Speakers Polk Audio RTi 10for Left and right
Polk csi 13 for centre and
Bose for rear surround.

for Display I plan to use a HD projector and acoustic enahncement. Will the 14 x 11 size be worht investing in for a HT room

I need the advise on the projector , room size and

The size of the wall at the end of the length and the room's length may not be enough after acoustics panelling to justify a projector.

If you install a 100 inch screen, for example, the viewing distance varies between 10 to 16 feet depending upon whether you follow THX or SMPTE standards. This will push you to the end of the hall.

A better option would be look for a 42 inch or a 50 inch TV.

Cheers

Welcome to the world of private entertainment room.

Your room length is not suitable for a projector viewing and this 14 feet length, will actually be only 12 feet once you have the seating in place, one of the possibilities is if you can break the room wall to get a excellent room length. I think to have a window in dedicated entertainment room is like having a speed breaker so it has to be avoided.

There are many other factors which you have to consider which you will realize once you open up your thoughts.

V.

Thanks Vinay and venkat for your inputs.

I have plans to cover the window. I have always wanted to have a dedicated AV room so when i bought this new house , I decided to use the room with 14 x 11 size for this purpose.

Are you experts saying that projector is absolutely ruled out then what is the recommended size for panel LCD/Plasma.

Will the room size acoustic support it to be used for music listening purpose as well. It is a symetrical rectangular room with just a door. (I will close the window )

Thanks for the advise

The length of a room depends upon the size of the screen you are looking at. If you are looking at anything less than a 100 inch screen, the efforts and costs are not worth it. In addition, the larger the screen, the more the height needed, particularly if you are looking at 16:9 ratio. You can, of course use a 2.35:1 ratio to beat these requirements, but you would need an anamorphic lens for that. That would shoot your projector costs by some 2.50 lakhs.

As I said before look for a large screen - maybe 50 inches. For this sized screen you can seat yourself some 8 feet from the screen giving you ample space in the room.

An acoustically treated room will also sound good for music as long as you do not make it completely dead.

Cheers

Even with your room size, I would suggest a PJ. I have a roughly 11X12 feet room. And I still use a PJ. Just try going for a smaller screen size. I use a 78 inches (diagonal) screen. I go by the thumb rule that viewing distance should be minimum 1 and half times the screen width. So do your maths and figure out what size works best. You could DIY the screen, my total screen cost was around 6K.

50 inch tele can never give you the front projection expereince.

my 2 cents...

Thanks for your advice. I will look at the costing to decide between a smaller screen projector or a 60 inch plasma/LCD.

Regarding acosutic treatment of the room. What is the advise how do i go forward with it. Are there any sites etc which will give me a idea about how to go about it.

I do listen to a lot of music. My requirement is 40% music, 40% music and 20% music.
The equipment that I have are
RXV 2700 yamaha
Polk Audio L&R RTi 10
Polk Centre Csi 3
Bose surround
PS3
Wii
Logitech Harmony one remote
Sony Bravia 40"

Raj, 14x11 is "not bad" for a HT room. Obviously, bigger is better. If you have an option to increase the dimensions or choose a different room, that would be great. If not, you should still go ahead with what you have unless you see a possiblitly of getting a larger room in next 1 to 2 years. One life, enjoy it mate:).

What kind of room treatment are you looking at? What do you plan to address through Room treatment? Room treatment will make the room size approximately 13.5x10.5 ft.

About screen, sizes between 80" and 100" should still give you the "feel" you are looking for.

Thanks Santhol
This is a new flat i have bought and i would rather have a dedicated room than putting it in living room. the other option would be 14 * 13.

I am not clear about what treatment i want to do for my room, but i read a lot of stuff regarding acoustic treatment for the AV room. I am not planning to spend a fortune in doing these things just want a advise on what is important

As I am still in planning stages I can indulge myself in reading and research and even visitng some of the HT enthusiasts for the advise.

Thanks Santhol
This is a new flat i have bought and i would rather have a dedicated room than putting it in living room. the other option would be 14 * 13.
Hi Raj, 14 x 13 is larger than your previously mentioned room. However, it is tending more to the squarish side. I have read that a perfectly square room would be a problem for room modes. Try and reduce the width just a little.

I am not clear about what treatment i want to do for my room, but i read a lot of stuff regarding acoustic treatment for the AV room. I am not planning to spend a fortune in doing these things just want a advise on what is important

As I am still in planning stages I can indulge myself in reading and research and even visitng some of the HT enthusiasts for the advise.
Ask yourself what are the problems you want to address through Room Treatment?
  • Treating reflection points for music/movies to be more enjoyable
  • Sound Proofing
  • Good Looking Interiors
  • All of the above
  • Others etc

If you are unsure, I would suggest you don't do anything right now. Start using the room for your entertainment needs. Observe and note down the points you want to address through room treatment and then start off. If the apartment is construction stage, finalise on the room quickly and run concealed conduits for electrical and audio wiring now itself. This will be useful irrespective of whether you do room treatment or not. More detailed information on conduits, wiring etc can be found in other threads.

Back