HTiaF (HT in a flat) ;)

arungj

While considering various HTs, one thought that came up was this....can one use an HT in a flat?
With flats sharing a wall or more, I guess noone can afford to run an HT on good volumes. Moreoever, the sub would be sending its vibrations along ;)
I havent tried it out....am just assuming it would be so.

Appreciate your inputs regarding how you get along with this issue? Do you really get to use your HT well when staying in a flat?

Also, I've been hearing power ratings like 600w, 1000w, etc (total HT output)...and I wonder...do I need all this power? Can I use it while in a flat?
Considering that I'd be staying in flats alteast for the next 10-15 years, I wonder ;)

Yes, indeed, the low-frequencies from the sub will travel through the walls and hit your neigbour's chest as well. But, all is well, if you call your neighbour's for a Saturday or Sunday evening movie at your home with a complete workout of your HT. May be your neighbours will go out like this :yahoo:.

Right now my listening room is pretty isolated from neighbors. But I think I will move to a flat soon, and then probably need to junk HT setup :-(

If you are ready to spend the money, you can sound proof the walls of your flat, and your neighbours would not even know anything.

Cheers

While considering various HTs, one thought that came up was this....can one use an HT in a flat?
With flats sharing a wall or more, I guess noone can afford to run an HT on good volumes. Moreoever, the sub would be sending its vibrations along ;)

Appreciate your inputs regarding how you get along with this issue? Do you really get to use your HT well when staying in a flat?

Also, I've been hearing power ratings like 600w, 1000w, etc (total HT output)...and I wonder...do I need all this power? Can I use it while in a flat?
Considering that I'd be staying in flats alteast for the next 10-15 years, I wonder ;)

hey arun

Nice to read your post...

Actually all this depends on the following :
1). Setup..
2). Listening Preference
3). Hours of Use
4). And most important -NEIGHBOURS :p

So if you have a setup where Balcony is next to it, and the neighbour walls are adjacent to other rooms walls, and if your listening preference is not too boomy, and if you are using it for some particular moments, say a movie, or some light music, and if your neighbours are not too RIGID, then there is no problem at all, but yes, its very true that everthing together is a Heaven, and is not a common seen, but even if you have most of it then you can easily work out things...
Even one of my setup is in Living Room on 2nd Floor, a complete 5.1 setup..
our neighbours are Sardars, and till now they have not complained...
and neither they seemed to be effected by same, as they are too good to talk...
So my experience is good, hope the same for you...

Now it all depends on your setup choice...

hi arun!

as venkat pointed out, it is the best solution to have your room acoustically treated to prevent disturbing your neighbours. otherwise as regards your subwoofer, you can use it in night mode (provided it has the feature), this will do a bit of the job.

regards,
abhishek.

Thanks for all your replies...

I currently have a set of 2.0 spkrs....think its rating is just 20 or 30w max....
Even this, when cranked up 60-75% volume sounds like it will wake up the neighbours (esp at night)....

I am seriously thinking of dumping the idea of getting a nice hT....and instead opt for a decent 5.1 comp spkrs or something like that....something that will give me decent 5.1, but not leave me wondering 'i cant use this out here!' ;)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back