HTIB 25K Budget

Re: HTIB Under 30K

Iam constructing a new Home and have asked my electrician to provide sockets for a 5.1 channel Home Theatre.
Iam an layman in this area so please forgive all ignorance.
Is there any special wires that the electrician needs to use for the speakers,he plans to use normal telephone wires.
Could you please suggest a good HTiB in the under 30 K range. Iam looking at Philips 3569 also heard good review about LG HT 902TB.Please share your thoughts.
As a last option do you think it would be wise if i could get a third party to fit up independent devices at my place within that budget(Is there somone in Bangalore who does a good job?)
Thanks
PSJ

Philips 4750 for 21K is an excellent VFM HTiB. If you can up the budget then you can look at Yamaha , Denon and Onkyo setup. But below 35K range, in my opinion nothing to beat the Philips 4750. Read the various threads of other combination as it will give you a very good overview.

Stay away from LG, very artificial. But then you should listen and take a call as each of us have different listening tastes.

Philips 4750 for 21K is an excellent VFM HTiB. If you can up the budget then you can look at Yamaha , Denon and Onkyo setup. But below 35K range, in my opinion nothing to beat the Philips 4750. Read the various threads of other combination as it will give you a very good overview.

Stay away from LG, very artificial. But then you should listen and take a call as each of us have different listening tastes.

Thanks Ram, But how would you rate 4750 against 3569. Does 4750 also play Divx movies from an USB media?

Thanks Ram, But how would you rate 4750 against 3569. Does 4750 also play Divx movies from an USB media?

Yes it does, in fact since 4750 is also sold in UK market they release firmware updates. My honest suggestion is try both and pick which one you like the best. There isn't too much a difference except 4750 comes with an active sub whereas 3569 is a passive one.

Check Vint review:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/3095-philips-hts-3569-brief-review.html

Last edited:
Hai,

I am new to this forum,

Let me ask few things, kindly advice me. Is that possible to buy Onkyo HTS9100 in india.
Kindly let me know the place and the cost of this system
Kindly suggest me whether can I assemble equivalent to this system by purchasing receiver and speakers

Thanks in advance
veera

I suggested Cambridge/CA for amplifiers. Again, I took a safe route but if budget aint a constraint you can look at NAD and so on. Just check out the forum for reviews on various combination. Also, to start you might just invest on a good amp and floor standing ones and leave the sub out of budget is tight. Never compromise on the speakers, they should have priority.
MBR, I thot you advicin me about the Speakers:confused:, anyway now I understood a bit about Hifi music elements, believe me I was ZERO before joining this forum. [Various combinations] Yaa, I am browsing through so many threads in this forum and found highly informative stuff.

If you want a VFM system, look at Craftel, I am not a great fan of Sonodyne. Philips would be great for your movie experience.

If you are in chennai you can also ping Muthuswami and meet him for a craftel home experience :)
My idea is, first to buy a HTiB like 4750 as of now (in case if 4750 pisses me off while auditioning then Onkyos 'n' Yamahas and then I will ping Muthuswami for Craftel). Then start building the system for Stereo Music in particular coz after joining this forum I got a special interest about assembling the system with NAD, Wharfedale, etc..:cool: For the last two days, I saw so many amazing reviews about NAD, seems really impressive, I need to explore more on that.

MBR, I thot you advicin me about the Speakers:confused:, anyway now I understood a bit about Hifi music elements, believe me I was ZERO before joining this forum. [Various combinations] Yaa, I am browsing through so many threads in this forum and found highly informative stuff.

My idea is, first to buy a HTiB like 4750 as of now (in case if 4750 pisses me off while auditioning then Onkyos 'n' Yamahas and then I will ping Muthuswami for Craftel). Then start building the system for Stereo Music in particular coz after joining this forum I got a special interest about assembling the system with NAD, Wharfedale, etc..:cool: For the last two days, I saw so many amazing reviews about NAD, seems really impressive, I need to explore more on that.

Agentunited,

A word of caution here. Equipment bought cannot be sold/replaced/changed that easily. You will be spending at least a couple of years with each new purchase and probably even more. Decide now/as you go along with the auditioning if you want to setup 2 units i.e. one for movies, and another for music which will involve some amount of investment or you want to go for an integrated unit for both movies and music. IMHO you are better served with one integrated unit that will do a good job (if not an excellent job) for both your movies/music needs than having two entry level units that will give mediocre performance for both movies and music. By combining the costs for both the entry/mid level HT System and entry/mid level Hi-Fi System you can instead go for a single solution that will perform better in both areas.

Just my 2 cents, but do think about it.

Agentunited,

A word of caution here. Equipment bought cannot be sold/replaced/changed that easily. You will be spending at least a couple of years with each new purchase and probably even more. Decide now/as you go along with the auditioning if you want to setup 2 units i.e. one for movies, and another for music which will involve some amount of investment or you want to go for an integrated unit for both movies and music. IMHO you are better served with one integrated unit that will do a good job (if not an excellent job) for both your movies/music needs than having two entry level units that will give mediocre performance for both movies and music. By combining the costs for both the entry/mid level HT System and entry/mid level Hi-Fi System you can instead go for a single solution that will perform better in both areas.

Moser I differ with your 2 cent for agent's requirement, but would like you to comment, based on his requirement, he wants 95% music and 5% movie as his need. For that my thought would be.

Option 1. Do you have the money for a good 2.1 system, then invest min one month and demo NAD, CA, Cambridge etc and Speakers combination and buy that first . Then buy a 20k Philips HTiB which will serve 5% movie need more than 200%.

Option 2. You dont have the money now, then buy the HTiB. Again my vote is Philips HTiB bcos you will get the netire package in 20 to 22k. So money saved and it is anyday better than Onkyo startups. Then take time, audition and buy the BEST 2.1 you like bcos that where he needs to concentrate and that will serve him for long and happy bliss of music :)

my rendu paise :)

MBR,

Don't you think 20-22K is way too much investment for 5% movies. I personally believe investing this 20-22K too in the 95% music unit will give him a much better music package where his real desire is. This 2.0/2.1 setup should also suffice for playing the very rare 5% movies. Why even spend money on a HTIB is my question? That money can be instead better spent on an even better stereo setup or a multichannel unit that will perform better for both movies and music. 22K is not a small amount and we both will agree here that any unit in that price range will not give any satisfaction for playing music, not a Philips or an Onkyo or a Yamaha. So why bother spending money and that too firstly on such a unit? Instead save/spend this money too on something that you will end up using 95%.

Sorry if I confused you with speakers and amps, but hey, with confusion dawns intelligence :D

I just checked with Philips Arena they are willing to give 4750 for 22k, which means you can haggle with Chellamani and Co or eZone for 20 to 21K. Try JD Electronics (see price thread for details), give our forum name or mine and he might arrange for some nice Onkyo demos also.

Also, visit the Yamaha zone which just opened, will give you a nice idea.

But my experience, have found NAD best for music. But thats me :)

Also, think about the CD payer that will play, thats another important link not to be forgotten.

MBR,

Don't you think 20-22K is way too much investment for 5% movies. I personally believe investing this 20-22K too in the 95% music unit will give him a much better music package where his real desire is. This 2.0/2.1 setup should also suffice for playing the very rare 5% movies. Why even spend money on a HTIB is my question? That money can be instead better spent on an even better stereo setup or a multichannel unit that will perform better for both movies and music. 22K is not a small amount and we both will agree here that any unit in that price range will not give any satisfaction for playing music, not a Philips or an Onkyo or a Yamaha. So why bother spending money and that too firstly on such a unit? Instead save/spend this money too on something that you will end up using 95%.

:) This is why i like you opinions. They are well structured.

Personally, even for 2% I dont belive 2.1 system works for movie. Even if its is 1% movie watching, I would want that 1% to be a good experience. Watching Iron Man in 2.1 will sound like Hollow Man and i would even stop the 1% movie experience. The surround experience is totally important in movies.

Agreed, 22k is a big amount. Thats why i said prioritize. It should come as the last one. Its all based on Budget. The only reason I put forward is for his 5% movie Philips is the best fit but when he wants to buy depends on his priority.

Also, Agent think about who would be using the system. If your family will also be using then HTiB might take preference (just like how it did for me). I am now slowly thinking of building my 2.1 but home loans have pushed it to 2 yrs from now :) (until and unless a client wants to waste money on me by calling me onsite :D)

Agentunited,

Absolutely second this advice. No point spreading thin on mediocre multiple systems rather than a decent single one.

:)Personally, even for 2% I dont belive 2.1 system works for movie. Even if its is 1% movie watching, I would want that 1% to be a good experience. Watching Iron Man in 2.1 will sound like Hollow Man and i would even stop the 1% movie experience. The surround experience is totally important in movies.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. You just cannot beat a 5.1 surround sound experience no matter even if its an entry level system. But I and you would be in a minority on this issue as many would say a good 2.0 system is better than a mediocre/entry level 5.1 system.

Agentunited - Don't decide based on the minority MBR and I are on this issue. Decide based on your finances and your long term usage and go with the most bang for buck factor.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. You just cannot beat a 5.1 surround sound experience no matter even if its an entry level system. But I and you would be in a minority on this issue as many would say a good 2.0 system is better than a mediocre/entry level 5.1 system.

Agentunited - Don't decide based on the minority MBR and I are on this issue. Decide based on your finances and your long term usage and go with the most bang for buck factor.

Absolutely. Prioritize and invest what would work the best for you and your family (if they are also part of the target audience).

But dont comprise and buy a mediocre system, rather wait and build slowly. And again, Speakers are the most important link, then the amp, then the CD player and cables.

Last edited:
Where is the original Poster?
I think CrazyBoy ran away seeing our craziness :D
MBR, not only you guys, am also gone Crazy:p. You know earlier I thought of buying 4750 in da next Monday, but after this discussion I am kinda backed up for the time being unless 4750 beat me to death:D, lolzzz. Oh dear, I never thought buying a Sound system is this hard.

MBR, do you have any idea abt where I can look the likes of NAD, Cambridge in our Greater Chennai:cool:.

MoserW, You guys are absolutely spoton in your posts, its impossible for someone to deny your honest views, in fact you guys only taught me something in Sound systems, so guys are Majority to me not da opp:).

MBR, do you have any idea abt where I can look the likes of NAD, Cambridge in our Greater Chennai:cool:.

Buzz/PM "venkatcr", on this forum. He is from Chennai, very knowledgeable and will guide. Above all else he is very helpful, which matters the most.

Apart from that "marsilians" will also have immensely useful suggestions.

If they are not following this thread then PM them. I am sure they will help/chip in with valuable suggestions.

The best place in Chennai for NAD is Decibel. Raghu is a fine gentleman and will patiently demonstrate to you. He has an excellent choice of music covering all genres, and is recently adding to his stock in terms of Jazz and Fusion.

He is currently doing up his demo room, so it may be worthwhile to double check with him.

Ragunath
Decibel
21, Chittaranjan Road
Teynampet

99406 72834
Home | decibel - the art of sound | Home Theatre, Hi-Fi, High End Audio Consultants Dealers Chennai

Though CA can be demoed in many places, the only place I like is Grand Cinema at Kodambakkam. Though a very commercial venture, Grand Cinema has a decent enough demo room. But one caveat - none of those guys there have any idea about music or what to demo. They will, in most cases, take a stock demo DVD or a CD containing MP3 and play it for you. Their choice is always the latest hits in Tamil Film Music.

Please take your own music, and they will respect that when you land up there. They have speakers from Wharfedale, MS, Paradigm and a few other brands.

Grand Cinema
Grand Cinema- Home Theater/hi-fi

Contact Ajmal Razak - 98844 15122

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. I was about to post asking him to PM you as I am not very familiar with shops in Chennai :)

Can we meet this weekend sir?

Hi,
I have picked up a Philips 4750,but he refuses to read from my external Hard disk drive of 500 GB. Initialy it refused to recognise even the thumb drive,but after changing the region to zero ,it recongnized that.Any help or suggestion is welcome.:sad:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back