HTIB 25K Budget

I have not seen a blu ray player, will not the blu ray player able to decode TrueHD and output through its 7.1 RCA output,

Then why do they have 7.1 output, while in the AV receivers specifications they say 7.1 input to connect Bluray players

Kindly clear my doubh as I'm interested in buying sr506

Hi gap g j,

The below mentioned models have 7.1 analogue outputs to decode dts-hd master audio internally.

Sony BDP-S550

An attractive deck with a tempting price tag this is another Sony stunner

As youd expect from the pioneers of Blu-ray, Sony has a formidable array of sources at its disposal. These include the omnipotent PlayStation3, the entry-level BDP-S350, the BDP-S5000ES and this, the BDP-S550.

Its a chunky, sturdy player blessed with an attractive glossy blue/black fascia and top panel. Unlike the BDP-S350, this model is Blu-ray Profile 2.0 enabled straight out of the box, so you can go online and get stuck into all that interactive content stored on compatible Blu-ray titles.

Other features that distinguish it from the cheaper player are the inclusion of a dedicated set of eight-channel analogue outputs and onboard DTS-HD Master Audio decoding.

This versatility is great for owners of older AV receivers that dont have any HDMI inputs or that cant decode high-definition audio codecs internally. The BDP-S550 also uses a remote control that sports a useful blue backlight.

Using the player couldnt be simpler. It boasts Sonys now customary XMB (Xross Media Bar) menu system that not only looks slick and polished, but is intuitive and easy to navigate.

If you do choose to use the players onboard decoding, the attractive graphic menus give you the option of altering settings like speaker size, distance and level. It will even emit a test-tone to help you.

When it comes to upscaling DVDs, the Sony does a great job. 1080p images are punchy, displaying good levels of detail and stability.

Move up a level to the delights of Blu-ray and 1080p/24fps and the Sony shifts up a gear, producing rich pictures full of vitality.

Horton Hears A Who! looks glorious with all manner or colourful hues on show. The fast panning moments dotted throughout the movie are handled with relative ease and theres great depth to the picture.

Dynamic movie soundtracks
Whether youre bitstreaming HD audio in its native form or decoding onboard into LPCM, the Sony still serves up a dynamic, detailed sound.

Dialogue is easy to follow and although the Sony isnt quite as hefty as some of its competitors when it comes to the explosive moments of Transformers, the BDP-S550 still does enough to create a sizeable stir.

As is the case with the cheaper S350, shop around online and youll come across some unbelievably low prices. At this kind of money, it would be rude to say no.

Tech Specs

HD DVD No
Blu-ray Yes
DVD-Video Yes
DVD-A No
SACD No
CD Yes
MP3 Yes
DivX No
DVD-R/-RW Yes
DVD+R/+RW Yes
DVD-RAM No
HDMI out 1
HDMI 1.3a Yes
DVI out 0
Component out 1
RGB Scart out 0
S-Video out 1
Composite out 1
Optical digital out 1
Coaxial digital out 1
Phono audio out 1
FireWire out 0
Multichannel analogue out 8ch
Video scaling 1080p
24fps Yes
Dolby Digital Plus decoding Yes
DTS HD decoding Yes
Dolby TrueHD decoding Yes
DTS HD Master Audio decoding Yes
Dolby decoding Yes
DTS Decoding Yes
PCM decoding Yes
Dolby Digital Plus HDMI output Yes
DTS HD HDMI output Yes
Dolby TrueHD HDMI output Yes
DTS HD Master Audio HDMI output Yes
PCM HDMI output Yes
Dimensions (hwd, cm) 7x43x22

Last edited:
I have not seen a blu ray player, will not the blu ray player able to decode TrueHD and output through its 7.1 RCA output,

Then why do they have 7.1 output, while in the AV receivers specifications they say 7.1 input to connect Bluray players

Kindly clear my doubh as I'm interested in buying sr506

hi gap g j,

The below mentioned model has 7.1 analogue outputs to decode dts-hd master audio internally.

Panasonic DMP-BD55

This player has all-round ability to die for and a comprehensive, not to mention useful, set of features

Review

The Panasonic DMP-BD55s specs are almost identical to its cheaper cousin the DMP-BD35. It uses the same, high-quality picture processor, Panasonics PHL Reference Chrome Processor Plus; it can also bitstream and decode all high-definition audio formats, including DTS-HD Master Audio.

Like the entry-level BD35, this player is also Blu-ray Profile 2.0, DivX and x.v.Colour compatible.So why does it cost more? The extra outlay gets you upgraded audio parts, including new capacitors, a new 192kHz/24bit DAC and a couple of tweaks to the HDMI output to help reduce jitter.

The player is also insulated to help keep vibrations to a minimum. Unlike the cheaper model, the BD55 also has a set of seven-channel analogue outputs. Should you use them, the players uncomplicated onscreen menus allow you to alter all the relevant setting such as speaker size, levels and distances.

And, the players audio changes reap instant rewards. Theres a noticeable increase in low-frequency heft and weight. The BD55 has great depth, and action scenes from Street Kings DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack are delivered with a sense of scale and authority.

Audio packs a powerful punch
During Keanu Reeves dust-up in the opening scene, each punch sounds bruising and painful. Switch to Transformers Dolby TrueHD offering and the same sonic character applies. The epic battle between Megatron and Optimus Prime is a powerful and explosive climax to the film.

Picture quality is top-notch too. Blu-ray images look clean and unblemished. The robots in Transformers boast superb detail and solid edge definition: this player more than delivers when it comes to breathtaking CGI.

The BD55 is also an excellent DVD-player. It does a great job extracting fine detail from the transfer of Iron Man. The desert landscapes that serve as a backdrop for Tony Starks capture show excellent clarity and definition, especially where the rocky outcrops are concerned.

Its not difficult to see and hear why the BD55 was crowned Product of the Year in the Blu-ray and DVD players category in our 2008 Awards issue. With Panasonic releasing replacement models this year the BD55 wont be available for much longer, but if you can get hold of one you wont be disappointed.

Tech Specs

HD DVD No
Blu-ray Yes
DVD-Video Yes
DVD-A No
SACD No
CD Yes
MP3 Yes
DivX Yes
DVD-R/-RW Yes
DVD+R/+RW Yes
DVD-RAM Yes
HDMI out 1
HDMI 1.3a Yes
DVI out 0
Component out 1
RGB Scart out 0
S-Video out 0
Composite out 1
Optical digital out 1
Coaxial digital out 1
Phono audio out 1
FireWire out 0
Multichannel analogue out 8ch
Video scaling 1080p
24fps Yes
Dolby Digital Plus decoding Yes
DTS HD decoding Yes
Dolby TrueHD decoding Yes
DTS HD Master Audio decoding Yes
Dolby decoding Yes
DTS Decoding Yes
PCM decoding Yes
Dolby Digital Plus HDMI output Yes
DTS HD HDMI output Yes
Dolby TrueHD HDMI output Yes
DTS HD Master Audio HDMI output Yes
PCM HDMI output Yes
Dimensions (hwd, cm) 43x25x55

Last edited:
The best music system? I used to use a high-end CDP that broke down. More than that I had a problem with CDs getting scratched and not playing and this pinched me more than anything else. My solution - Move the entire music collection to the PC. At under 30K you can assemble a very good PC that will handle all media formats, have practically unlimited storage and even more so keep all CDs safe since they are ripped into FLAC on the PC.

From here you can move to high end with audiophile soundcards, good speakers, etc.

At under 25K unfortunately you cannot assemble even an entry level music unit. Even a decent unit will cost 80K to upwards of 1 lac factoring in the speakers, CDP, Stereo amp, cables, etc. Local Indian brands exist which will be cheaper, but I guess we Indians have a mental block or something and look down on our own brands. Not me personally, but I've been doing the rounds with a friend who does not like the sound from any Indian brand like Sonodyne, Norge, etc. He in fact prefers Bose even though they are terribly overpriced and for the given budget a much higher end unit can be assembled. If you can go with local Indian brands then you can get much better VFM and bang for buck.

The best solutions for you are if you have a PC then start thinking of moving the music playing to the PC. The other option is to get an entry level HTIB that will have upgrading options like adding different speakers later on. Music on the entry level HTIBs is very lacking because of the satellite speakers they come with. Getting a good pair of FS does improve SQ.

Explore your options and then decide. If budget is a constraint then start with an entry level HTIB from Onkyo, Yamaha, Philips, etc. but do audition all of them yourself and carry your own music with you. What works for one need not necessarily work for another. I personally found Philips 3569 to be very flat and with lots of distortion at high volume. In fact music was much better on the Onkyo and Yamaha and for movies they practically killed the Philips. MBR will have the opposite view I am sure. Its possible you will have an entirely different view yourself. So audition yourself and decide for yourself. In terms of connectivity and for future upgrades i.e. adding other speakers later on the Onkyo and Yamaha give a lot of options with their AVR. Not sure this is possible with the Philips. Check all such options before going ahead and spending any money...

Got to agree here. Many people ridiculed me as to how I preferred the Sony AVR over the Onkyo and the Yamaha AVR's . The only regret in my decision is that the Yamaha avr had a display to die for. As far as the sound is concerned I am satisfied, atleast for the next 3 years I think :).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back