HTiB or Piece-together HT?

RaahulT

Dear FMs & Respected Experts,
Hello & Good Morning.
I have been reading through forum posts and gaining basic information for setting up a HT for my room. I have shortlisted two options, one each as per subject line. 1. HTiB :Onkyo HT-S9800 available for 100k 2. Denon X1500H available for 47k + suitable 5.1 speakers (as your suggestions)+ home projector (only if budget permits)
Kindly advice which way I should head.
My Limits:
1. Budget around 90k-100k, Atmos capability reqd
2. Room size 14x10
3. Usage Music 50% Movies 50%
4. Timeline of purchase 01 Month
5. Purchase mode preferably Online
6. Not an audiophile but a music enthusiast

Onkyo is costing 100k while With denon I can explore to add a decent projector. Please advice.

For 100K, you can do better than HTIB systems..

Getting an AVR + speakers + projectors within 100K is tough.. However Atmos AVR and set-up is very much possible in 100K..

2. Room size 14x10

For AVR, Pioneer LX 303 for 60K, and remaining money for 2 x 5.0 speaker package to complete 5.0.4 set-up.. You can add subwoofer later.. Once you complete the set-up, you can then consider adding a projector..

For AVR, Pioneer LX 303 for 60K, and remaining money for 2 x 5.0 speaker package to complete 5.0.4 set-up.. You can add subwoofer later.. Once you complete the set-up, you can then consider adding a projector..
Thanks Elangoas.
What attracted me to Onkyo 9800 HTiB is its feature rich AVR and Subwoofer with specs
"SKW-938 Acoustic-Suspension Powered Subwoofer
  • 30 cm Cone, Weight 15.5 kg
  • Rated Output Power: 125 W (Minimum Continuous Power, 6 Ohms, 100 Hz, 1%)".
However
1. Why in IYO Pioneer LX303 is better choice than Denon 1500H? And
2. Which speaker package should I consider as of now?

Thanks Elangoas.
What attracted me to Onkyo 9800 HTiB is its feature rich AVR and Subwoofer with specs
"SKW-938 Acoustic-Suspension Powered Subwoofer
  • 30 cm Cone, Weight 15.5 kg
  • Rated Output Power: 125 W (Minimum Continuous Power, 6 Ohms, 100 Hz, 1%)".
Sure, some of the HTIB specs are attractive.. But you can build/add more powerful one slowly..

However
1. Why in IYO Pioneer LX303 is better choice than Denon 1500H? And

Pioneer LX 303 is a 9.2 capable AVR out of the box, while Denon x 1500 is only 7.2 capable.. With 9.2 AVR, it gives you the flexibility of either a 7.2.2 set-up (or) 5.2.4 set-up.. 4 overhead speakers will offer more immersive experience..

2. Which speaker package should I consider as of now?

I was referring to buy 2 x Taga Harmony TAV series 506 v.2 5.0 speaker package as an example.. So you would have 10 speakers..

2 Floor standers as fronts, 2 flootstanders for surrounds and the remaning speakers as center & 4 height speaker (front & rear), with which you can complete 5.0.4 set-up (without sub-woofer)..

Could not latch onto pioneer LX303 when it was selling at Rs. 60k. Now it is relisted at 77k on hifimart and it doesn't seem going to be discounted any further. Is it ok to settle for Denon X1500h?

Could not latch onto pioneer LX303 when it was selling at Rs. 60k. Now it is relisted at 77k on hifimart and it doesn't seem going to be discounted any further. Is it ok to settle for Denon X1500h?

Hi

Check the rates on other sites......speak to Mr Anil (HiFiMart) he will definitely work something in your favor.....

Put most of your money into speakers, they stay with you the longest.
AVR can be used; formats keep changing. What is "wow" today is common tomorrow.

Decide on how many speakers and work backwards on budget.
Ideal low budget solution would be:
BS + Sub for mains
Sats for surrounds (can come later in a staged manner)
This will eat up 50-60% of budget; the rest for AVR + media player

14x11 is a decent space for HT if it is a dedicated space.
If it is shared living space, please take the opinion of other family members.
Speakers don't get well with existing furniture + curtains :)

"WAF" is very important. Even experts on HFV will attest to this.

Cheers,
Raghu

BS + Sub for mains

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes. Through forum messages, I have come to realise the importance of choosing most suitable speakers and that speakers are the most important component of a HT. I would try to get auditions whenever possible.

Dear FMs & Respected Experts,
Hello & Good Morning.
I have been reading through forum posts and gaining basic information for setting up a HT for my room. I have shortlisted two options, one each as per subject line. 1. HTiB :Onkyo HT-S9800 available for 100k 2. Denon X1500H available for 47k + suitable 5.1 speakers (as your suggestions)+ home projector (only if budget permits)
Kindly advice which way I should head.
My Limits:
2. Room size 14x10
3. Usage Music 50% Movies 50%
4. Timeline of purchase 01 Month
5. Purchase mode preferably Online
6. Not an audiophile but a music enthusiast

Onkyo is costing 100k while With denon I can explore to add a decent projector. Please advice.
The issue with HTIB systems are they usually come with low end speaker systems & come with basic model AVRS. Going with dedicated AVR and dedicated speaker setup should be better choice. You need to select the speakers carefully matching the AVR power ratings ,where as HTIB systems are coming with matching speakers with its bundle.

Going with dedicated setup -will have more freedom to choose different brand of speaker of your choice and later you can upgrade AVR /speaker package when you get bored of it.

BS + Sub for mains

Cheers,
Raghu
I have different perspective here...
AVR is crucial to drive the speakers. Even expensive speakers will not sound good if AVR is not capable of powering them.

I would recommend getting good AVR is the first priority.

Then you may look for speakers .
I would suggest to get Bookshelves speakers. You may get fronts + center + SUB first.
Later you can get Surround speakers.

You may check : Sonodyne bookshelve speakers (around 12 k) , look for speakers in HT mart /amazon. you may get better deal.
Before that you do audition of speakers to choose as per your taste.

Sad that the Pioneer AVR LX 303 has gone up by 17K.. Try to scout around the town looking for this AVR, cheaper prices.. If no luck, then settle for Denon x 1500..

I have different perspective here...
AVR is crucial to drive the speakers. Even expensive speakers will not sound good if AVR is not capable of powering them.

I would recommend getting good AVR is the first priority.

Then you may look for speakers .
I would suggest to get Bookshelves speakers. You may get fronts + center + SUB first.
Later you can get Surround speakers.

You may check : Sonodyne bookshelve speakers (around 12 k) , look for speakers in HT mart /amazon. you may get better deal.
Before that you do audition of speakers to choose as per your taste.

If not too hung up about latest and greatest video decoding, it does make sense to buy used AVR.
A flagship/midrange model released 2-3 years ago will do Atmos and may have enough juice to drive a wider variety of speakers.

AVR specs these days are completely useless for real world.
They list at best what is 8 ohm 20-20Khz 2Ch drive capability. All the other power specs are meaningless.
When you have more channels to drive, the processor inside does its power distribution magic.

The essential subset for the speaker system are high sensitivity LCR and a sub.
Most sat speakers are low sensitivity, barring a few brands like klipsch, etc.
So with lower power numbers, high sensitivity speakers make sense to get that required SPL for home cinema.

With OP's budget of 1L, it sure does make sense to pick up AVR used (may be speakers too).
HTIB or base model AVRs + hisens speakers are good for movies, but will be found wanting in stereo mode for music.
Lots of people on the forum have the upgrade bug and will be parting with decent setups.
Keep an eye out for good combos in the for sale section.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back