HTIB or Separates??

j147

Hi All

I am new to this forum and planning to buy my first home theater (entry level). I am not a hard-core music buff and will mostly use HT for watching HD movies (90% Movies + 10% Music). The basic expectation will be to create a surround sound effect, the o/p neednt be v.high but the sound should be rich (@ a justified price point)!!

I would need some sound advice from all the hi-fi gurus around.....whether I should go with HTIBs (which wud fit my shoe-string budget) and save the ordeal of handling multiple remotes (TV, Tata Sky, DVD, AVR, etc). Or, to go with separates (better sound....but with budget trending north :sad:).

Also, is it justified to pay that xtra buck for a USB port while differentiating btwn 2 successive models of an AVR....considering the fact that I wud any which ways hv to go in for a DVD and these days most of the blurays are already coming with a usb on them.

Hv done a bit of research, though some of the quotes might not be updated. Would request folks to suggest a good combination or add any other options available that I may hv missed out.

HTIBs.....
Onkyo 3400/3500 - 25K/28K
Denon DHT 1312 XP - 32K
Sony BDV-E290 - 19K
Yamaha YHT-298 - 36.5K
Pioneer HTP-522 - 40K

AVRs....
Marantz SR3053 - 18.9K
Marantz NR1501 - 22.5K
Marantz NR1402 - 26.5K
Denon 1513 - 27K
Pioneer VSX-522-K - 25K
Yamaha RX V371/V471/v571 - 18K/25K/30K
Harmon Kardon AVR134 - 15K

5.1 Speakers Package...
JBl SCS 140BK 5.1 - 15K
Yamaha - 17.5K

An HTiB often compromises on speaker quality. The speakers are often enclosed in plastic or semi-wood like enclosures. Hence the sound is that great. But these are adequate for movies in small rooms. They are not OK for music.

Separates will be better but at least twice as costly. Separates also let you mix and match the best quality items. There is also a scope for gradual expansion if budget is a constraint.

As stated above, budget is the key, followed by room size. If the room size is 10'x12' or less, there is no strong justification for a separates system.

All depends on budget. Its simple :

Low budget : HTIB
Good Budget : Seperates

I would eliminate Sony BDV-E290 - 19K and Harmon Kardon AVR134 - 15K. For AVR my pick would be Marantz/Denon. Always hear the system and then decide. If going the separates route different AVRs sound different with different speakers. So, demo various combos and then decide.

I'm asking just out of curiosity, will HTiB's from Sony etc. support ARC? It'll be a most useful feature since even without a BD player you can experience the 5.1 audio out from HD channels

SONY's next model E490 has an optical audio in port(as per spec in website).
If your HD STB has an optical out you can enjoy 5.1 audio by plugging to optical-in of Sony.

Thnx for the responses frnds....the room size is not more than 10x12....and I am looking at a budget less than 35k. Plz suggest best options available (WFM)!

Separates are better for music however for HT especially in a small room a HTIB works quiet well. check the onkyos.

you can do one thing....as the members informed the speakers come with htib package are not that good.and its very true
start with a 30k avr denon and 10k pair of bookshelves.....sonodyne/wharfedale/polk
buy centre,sub,rear later when high on budget.....

here also for 10*12 room not very much powerfull avr pr speakers is needed.and demo is very very imp for liking the sound style/signature...

otherwise for a 12*10 room a htib is enough say denon 1312xp or onkyo 3400...

and yes dony buy sony/lg stuff

Last edited:
hey try to audition pioneer RS32, comes fr 36k.
i recently bought. fantastic experience. two floor standers with 3 way bass reflex, huge 12 inch powered SW, 1 centre and 2 surrounds......enough to blow ur neighbours away...
bought it fr mainly 80% listening music. playing downloaded 128kbps songs on it..still can hear each and every component of music very clearly....

Hi, I happened to visit Cinebels at Phoenix mall Bangalore yesterday and saw a good deal. They are offering the Jamo 5.1 speakers model E310 PDD @ 50% discount which comes to Rs. 16480. Also there is a combined offer of Sherwood avr RD5405 with the mentioned speakers for just Rs.25366. This is certainly quality stuff being offered at a great price I think.

@sachmm
both the reciever and speakers got very low sound output...60w per ch and woofer 100w.
total will be arnd 400w....is too low thats wht i think...100w woofer wont give any powerfull punch......think again. and both the gadgets u mentioned r ages old...

Hi friends.....thnx for all the valuable inputs. After considering all the parameters (i.e. budget, room-size, etc) and going through the blogs here....I am actually confused now or rather in a dilemma (....too much of info is also harmful at times) :-(

Though, hv managed to short-list the top 2 recommendations -> (1) Onkyo 3500 & (2) Pioneer HTP-522

I will audition both...however are there any inputs or expert advice that anyone would want to share on these two ones?

@tigerwag - Thnx for sharing inputs on your brand new pioneer RS32. Due to space constraint, I would prefer wall mounts over floor standers. Whats your take on the next 2 models - HTP-522 & 071.....though there is almost 10k price difference as per Pioneer India website and guess the later one doesnt hv a front usb as well :-(

Folks....plz chip in and help me come out of this paralysis of decision making :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back