Htib purchase

crackers

I want to purchase new Htib of Philips. My room size 12 x 10 feet. How much watt output should I buy. 300,500,1000 W.

1. I am cofused. How much wattage is sufficient to get crystal clear music and home theatre experience?

2. Is it necessary to buy higher wattage for better quality at lower volume level ?

3. If there are two models of same features and different wattages i.e 300 ,600 and 1000 W which one should I buy. (Philips HTS3152 - 300 W and HTS 3371 - 1000 W or HTS3265 - 600W )

Last edited:
I want to purchase new Htib of Philips. My room size 12 x 10 feet. How much watt output should I buy. 300,500,1000 W.

1. I am cofused. How much wattage is sufficient to get crystal clear music and home theatre experience?

2. Is it necessary to buy higher wattage for better quality at lower volume level ?

3. If there are two models of same features and different wattages i.e 300 ,600 and 1000 W which one should I buy. (Philips HTS3152 - 300 W and HTS 3371 - 1000 W or HTS3265 - 600W )

Hi and welcome to the forum. For the questions that you put:
1. For crystal clear music wattage does not matter.
2. For greater resolution of music at lower volumes, the amps for greater power will be better. But when we say better powered amps, we are not referring to anything in the category of Philips or Samsung etc.

Now to your actual requirements:
1. What is your budget?
2. Is music your first preference or movies?

1. My first query remains unanswered about how much watt output for room size

2. I am sorry but I don't want a costly system since my budget is 20 K max. I want a descent and best available system with good music within my budget. As I see only Philips and sony fits in my budget.

I have already visited seveeral shops. But fail to understand as different salesman give different theories for wattage outpts. Some say higher output means good music at lowe volume. Some say more wattage means good output and quality music.

3. I have not understood point 2 about amps.

4. My main use 70 % music 30 % movies

Kindly clarify

Last edited:
1. My first query remains unanswered about how much watt output for room size
Your room size is ok for a 300W, 600 or even 1000W. going for more wattage does not mean that you will overwhelm the room. In fact it is more to do with the loudness at which you are driving the speaker. More the power, the better. The movie surround effect, to be more clear require greater power (Consider sudden gunshots etc...known as Transients) which must be delivered when needed. Better amps have better capacitors (bigger in size) and transformers which can deliver power required to "immediately" produce these transients with power and thump required.
2. I am sorry but I don't want a costly system since my budget is 20 K max. I want a descent and best available system with good music within my budget. As I see only Philips and sony fits in my budget.
If you can push slightly to 25K, you can get an entry level Onkyo and Denon HTiB which are much better than the one from Philips.
3. I have not understood point 2 about amps.
That will only mean you need to have more output power to be able to hear all details clearly at lower volumes
4. My main use 70 % music 30 % movies
Since you are leaning more towards music, stay away from the Philips HTiB. You definitely need to consider offerings from Onkyo if you are looking for a serious entry level home theater.
Edit: Even an Onkyo would not give you great music...but movies it is a master at the price.

My friend bought a Phillips 3366 system last week, it comes with 2 rear floor standing speakers,it costed 15k , u can look at auditioning the same as it is lower than your budget, ideally if you can stretch i would personally recommend for the onkyo htib 3200, or the Yamaha ones, they would cost between 21 to 25 k.

Audition them and then take a call as to what you want to buy. for just a difference of 3 to 4k you can get a good deal.

Also consider the entry level Onkyos, Yamaha at this budget,this will give u decent exp for that price.Nothing big can expected at the music front,but they do the job at delivering the exp for movies,especially Hollywood movies. I have a Onkyo HTIB as a bedroom setup at my home and its still for me and my roomies to enjoy great week end movies!

The Onkyo HTS 3100 is going for Rs 21790/- at present.
It is a good entry level HTIB system.
However, if there is no way you will go above 20K then you are stuck with Philips, Sony, LG, Samsung. I heard several of those this last weekend. Of those, I would say Philips is the best for all round performance. Sony if you want a little extra bass punch. All of them have some amount of distortion but it wasn't the best listening environment to make a good judgement.
Take a look at the Philips HT3265. Croma has it for Rs 11990/-. Go to Croma and listen to a wide variety of this level of HTIBs they have on display.
The 3371 is priced higher but still within your budget and is aesthetically more appealing because it has smaller sats than the 3265. But those smaller sats seem heavier than the larger ones in the 3265.

For this budget Samsung HT-TZ315 is pretty good system. I got it from CROMA for 16,500. Good for Movies from DVD or USB. Upscaling is nice. For listening the music it performs so so..

Crackers,
If you're 70% into music and you have a tight budget (20K), going the HTiB route is asking for trouble. At this price, every HTiB will sound bad musically. What is the reason you want a home theatre, if your predominant taste is in music, if you don't mind me asking?

A better option may be to go for a good stereo setup (which you can get in 20K) and then upgrade slowly as finances permit, to a full 5.1. You may find that you're happy with a stereo sound, even for movies.

For budget stereo at 20K, Norge amps and speakers are good to look at. Other speakers are the Wharfedale 9.1 or Cambridge Audio s30/sl30. There is also a Chennai based company called Audiocraft/Craftel which makes good budget amps and speakers. Search for their contact and info on the forum threads.
Another option that might just stretch your budget is the CA 340A with s30 or 9.1 speakers or Morduant Short ms91x speakers. There are plenty of budget combinations for stereo if you search the forums. If your need is still home-theatre, I suggest you wait a while or increase your budget if you wnt sound that you will be happy with for a while.

hi,

my room is 11x14. i use only 2 fronts of my yamaha, . so probably i never need more than 50W/channel or total 100W. so even 300W should be more than enough .even if i use 5.1, i would not need more than 100W total as each speaker will probably play at around 20W or so. so depends on how loud you are going to keep your volume level. again if you are going to connect portable media player to your amp through aux, you need more power.

listening distance from my speakers is around 8 feet.

so that should solve wattage problem. but beware. very few companies give actual wattage and i don't know about philips. HK 50W is louder than yamaha 100W

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back