HTPC Config - Your suggestions / comments required

ukjeyaraj

I am planning to build a budget HTPC in few weeks time. Though started with Intel config, I found AMD config cheaper with better performance. Currently AMD config exceeds budget (Rs.25K) by 2.5K and Intel config exceeds by 4K. It is due to the Graphic Card, which was originally not in the plans.

AMD Config

Code:
AMD Phenom II X4 945---------------> 6900
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H------------> 5500
Corsair/G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz---> 2300
Sapphire HD5550 1GB DDR3-----------> 4250
WD 1.5TB Green---------------------> 4500
FSP Saga II 400W-------------------> 2000
CM Elite 360-----------------------> 2000

Total------------------------------>27450

Intel config

Code:
Intel i3-530-----------------------> 5500
Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3--------------> 8550
Corsair/G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz---> 2300
Sapphire HD5550 1GB DDR3-----------> 4250
WD 1.5TB Green---------------------> 4500
FSP Saga II 400W-------------------> 2000
CM Elite 360-----------------------> 2000

Total------------------------------>29100

Now I need further improvement and suggestion wherever possible but pliz dont increase the overall cost. In case of mobo the following are must for me

1) USB 3.0
2) eSATA
3) 7.1 analogue with Dolby Home Theatre support
4) Optical SPDIF Out
5) Provision for future add-ons (WLAN and Internal TV-Tuner)

Items not required

1) Monitor
2) Optical Drive
3) Keyboard/Mouse

Help me in choosing the right config and also improving the config.

The concept of an HTPC without an optical drive baffles me. What are your trying to achieve with this config? If it is a media player, you can always get one for 10-15K.

cheers

What would you connect your HTPC to for Video and Audio?

Why separate graphics card is required? Would you use HDMI for Audio as well?

Ensure your HTPC runs cool and quiet.

What would you connect your HTPC to for Video and Audio?

Why separate graphics card is required? Would you use HDMI for Audio as well?

Ensure your HTPC runs cool and quiet.

Currently
Connect video to projector Epson EX71 and also to CRT monitor.
Connect audio to Mitsun 5.1 speakers through analouge out of Mobo

Future
Connect video to projector Epson EX71 and to flat LCD panel 24"/32" (may be after 3 months)
Connect audio to AV receiver (not in near future)

I hope the chasis CM elite360 will help in running the PC cool and quiet. Do I have to add anything more?

I added separate graphic card later, as I found various experts in different threads mentioning separate Graphic Card is essential to play HD content. Also I found the MOBOs cannot play video through DVI and HDMI simultaneously. However Graphic Cards can handle the same(correct me if I am wrong here).

Last edited:
the above boards will not fit in cm case check it out...........go for a ocz ram instead of gs.....

asus has got much better 880 board...........if it is just htpc purpose, then athlon x2 will suffice avoid phenom, the recommended power supply from corsair 400cx is just a kickass go for it.....

do u really have usb 3.0 gadgets, its new in the market they are pretty expensive............think of usb 2 boards.........

finally if it has to be true HTPC, then get a dedicated HTPC case

nJoy

Mobo is mATX and CM360 supports both ATX/mATX. What do you really mean by board will not fit in CM case.

In my knowledge, diff between Athlon and Phenom is just L3 cache, which is missing in Athlon. Athlon consumes lesser power comparing to Phenom. I will keep Athlon II X4 open in my choice.

I could find two models of ASUS with 880G chipset, but they are above 7K. Also asus site for india in.asus.com does not have any 880 based mobo, though I could find few in indian online shopping sites.

I dont have any USB3.0 gadgets. Thought let me have one or two Port for future.

I like to go for HTPC case(something like Antec Fusion Silver with Remote). I will upgrade in future.

Thanks for a detailed suggestion

If USB3.0 is not necessary then even a 780G or 785G based mobo will suffice your needs. The Gigabyte 780G even has an onboard optical out and HD3200 on the 780G can handle Blu ray playback with ease. Also the onboard supports upto 7.1 channel and DTS HD playback.
For the remote, i would suggest that you can go for a logitech wireless combo. Or else you can also go for XBMC + Android Phone (as a remote). Its really cool. Check it out. xbmc.org

If USB3.0 is not necessary then even a 780G or 785G based mobo will suffice your needs. The Gigabyte 780G even has an onboard optical out and HD3200 on the 780G can handle Blu ray playback with ease. Also the onboard supports upto 7.1 channel and DTS HD playback.
For the remote, i would suggest that you can go for a logitech wireless combo. Or else you can also go for XBMC + Android Phone (as a remote). Its really cool. Check it out. xbmc.org

I already have logitech wireless combo. As you suggested I will use the same for time being. Android Based Mobile is a good idea. What will happen when I go out with mobile and someone at home use HTPC? I dont want to keep a spare android phone as remote at home :) Thanks once again for your valuable time

both keyboard, mouse and android phone can be used simultaneously. So even if you walk out of the house with the phone, your family members can operate using the wireless keyboard and mouse.

I am keeping android phone definitely as one of the main choice. Can you tell me how android phone connects to PC (i.e., bluettooth,ir,wifi)

Today I got my PC completed. Here is the config

Code:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
WD 1TB Green HDD
FSP Saga II 500W PSU
CM Elite 360 Cabinet
TAG Multimedia Card Reader
Samsung DVD-RW
Dlink DWA-525 Wlan Card
Logitech MK250

Planning to add/change in future

TV Tuner Card
GPU (based on need)
Nice looking AVR like PC Case

Thanks to all the friends for their valuable suggestions and inputs.

What was the cost of these:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard

I already have optical drive,monitor,keyboard&mouse. :)

For my 'video server' I use only a very powerful mouse.
The Plasma is my display & I do not need a keyboard.

My Case is always Antec [audio server & video server - I have different]
Power supply too is always Cosair [well Antec & Cosair] !

Get a good quality case - no fans - has to be aluminium. Keeps the noise level very low.

For my 'video server' I use only a very powerful mouse.
The Plasma is my display & I do not need a keyboard.

My Case is always Antec [audio server & video server - I have different]
Power supply too is always Cosair [well Antec & Cosair] !

Get a good quality case - no fans - has to be aluminium. Keeps the noise level very low.

I agree with you on quality case. I will be changing my case in couple of months.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back