HTPC Display Problem

tryst

Hi,

I have set up a HTPC with Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard and a AMD 5200+ processor with 2GB RAM and a LG Bluray/hddvd combo drive.I have connected it to BENQ 2200HD display.Everything works fine here but when I connect the same set-up to the 42 INCH Panasonic plasma, through HDMI the picture goes off the sceen (screen goes black) although the sound remains.In the HTPC setup i route the sound via the spdif out of the motherboard to my Denon receiver.I have tried the latest ATI display drivers but to no avail.Please advise.

Thanks

Hi,

Check out the screen resolution, LCD TVs and monitors have a different resolution. If you are using VIsta, use F8 and choose low resolution boot mode. This should help you out.

Cheers!

Hi,

The screen resolution is set at 1920 x 1080 and plasma panel is TH-P42G10D and I have the Windows XP (Service Pack 3).Since it is a full hd plasma I set the resolution at 1920 x 1080 at 32 bit and refresh rate 60 Hz.Please advise.

Thanks

Hi,

The screen resolution is set at 1920 x 1080 and plasma panel is TH-P42G10D and I have the Windows XP (Service Pack 3).Since it is a full hd plasma I set the resolution at 1920 x 1080 at 32 bit and refresh rate 60 Hz.Please advise.

Thanks

Well,even it is Full HD plasma,when you connect PC to it,it may not support 1080p in PC mode.Check the manual for PC input resolution.

Secondly ,are you connecting it directly OR as secondary display?

Best way try with lower resolution & then increase it.

Hi,

Thanks

one, check the ATI control panel, try the three modes - primary/dual view/clone
two, check your manual, check the refresh rate, with the 1920x1080 mode, configure the same rate in the custom resolutions and check..
three, change the resolution of the plasma to 720p.
four, restore the original ATI driver on board.. sometimes with the new drivers some settings do not work..
five, if previously you have had similar experiences with other electronics, like any new purchase have teething troubles..then give it time.. after 3-4 attempts using the same settings your 1080p would just pop up..

If at all possible, try connecting a laptop with your TV and see how the resolution works. Any resolution to start with. The reason I suggest a laptop is because it would be easy to switch back to the laptop display, change something and then see if something changes on the Plasma panel.

I think it might even be worth thinking of borrowing your friend's laptop if you dont have one handy.

You could also try connecting via your DVI output from the PC to your Plasma TV and see if it makes a difference as compared to the HDMI out.

Thanks a lot for the valued comments.As for the resolution support I checked that the Plasma supports 1080/60p, 1080/50p & 1080/24p via the HDMI input.I installed the latest Catalyst Driver (Version 9.11) but the BD/HD advisor (Cyberlink) does not categorise it as a compliant graphics driver but surprisingly it considers version 8.11 as compliant so I am using it but to no avail.

As for my connection, I am restarting the HTPC with the plasma powered on and no other display attached to the system and play the bluray / hd through the combo drive on Power dvd ultra 7.3.5711 and the screen goes blank erratically.Sometimes everything is fine for one hour and sometimes the screen flutters (picture goes on & off) haphazardously after the start-up.

For the MKV rips i am using MPC-HC , VLC or KM player with Core AVC (VERSIOIN 1.9.5) , they run fine on the plasma but there is lot of tearing.

Please advise

Thanks

Thanks for the advise. I am getting a slight flicker even when there is no media playing but thats very infrequent.The main problem arises when I am playing bluray or hddvd.As for mkv rips playback is fine.

As for 8.11 catalyst driver it shows to be compatible on BD/HD advisor although my onboard graphics driver HD3200 is greyed out as BD/HD advisor does not recognise it.

Will my problem be fixed by adding a graphics card?

Thanks

ATI Radeon 3200 onboard graphics.Got a Antec PSU in a Antec cabinet for the HTPC.Processor usage on HD playback is around 30%

Thanks

Onbrg graphics can be little weaker than dedicated cards occassionally.
Other reasons apart from resolution which has to be considered are-

1.if Power is enough for Bluray plaback
2.Are any other programs running in background?(even AV like Norton)
3.Total memory shared by onbrg Graphics(may memory is less)
4.CPU overheating & usage of CPU.

Driver package 8.552 (Ati Catalyst 8.11)
CPU Core Temp (While playing Bluray) 20 -24c
Processor usage: 24-35%
No other program running in the back
Same video flickers sometimes and sometimes plays well.

Thanks

Same video flickers sometimes and sometimes plays well.

Thanks

A different opinion from experience-

Sometimes using lattest driver can cause prob.
I have used ATI 9550 & currently 7300.I faced similar prob with my old & new cards.
For 7300, whwn I installed new drivers,Display on monitor was perfect,but when connected TV ,I cld get flicker OR higher resolution was not supported.
When I went back to drivers supplied with GC,every thing is perfect with my old CRT & res upto 1024.

Not to deviate from the discussion but if you could make/have a new partition, have WIN7;) installed and try to connect. it should connect smooth and has excellent detetction abitllities from my experience.
a plus is WMP 11 and the Shark007.net - Windows 7 Codecs - WMP12 Codecs codecs.

try this and u would not need another software too.

I connect my RX V663 to benq v2400 and everthing detects fine and plays fine at appropriate rsolutions. HDMi lights up and sound flows in.

There are 2 options: V2400 - 1920 x 1200 & v663 1920 x 1080.
Monitor supports 60hz & 59hz and the card gives the option to use any.

I use a Sapphire ATI HS 4550 card:)

Since 3200 is also fine problems should be in the drivers(since using XP). once installed trial WIN7, things are smooth.

Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back