Hyperia DIY TV Ambient light project

Michelangalo

Hi,

I will be working on a project for creating a DIY ambient light using LED's, Raspberry Pie 0 W, Arduino Nano, 4K @60 Hz HDMI Splitter, and HDMI capture card. These are few of the main items required for this project.

I am currently concerned about two things,
1. HDCP restriction from the HDMI splitter to capture card
2. HDMI splitter providing 2 different Output simultaneously. For 4K @60Hz input it should split into HDMI o/p 1 - 4K @60Hz and HDMI o/p 2 - 1080p for the HDMI capture card. Normally with most splitters in India the lowest resolution of the output display is defaulted. Meaning if there is 4K TV and a 1080P TV connected at the splitter output then the splitter output will be defaulted to 1080p based on the lowest resolution monitor connected (in my case its a 1080p HDMI capture card and a 4K TV)

The goal is to have the end result as shown below. The LED's should projecting the TV screen pixels to bleed behind the screen.

Has anyone worked on this or similar kind of project?
If yes then what kind of challenges or downfall you have faced?

Thanks!

There many readymade solution available in the same cost how much you intend to try out.
One example:

https://www.amazon.in/Backlights-Govee-Compatible-Lighting-Calibrate/dp/B07JKVKZX8 (current OOS in india)
I am aware of these solutions but these are freaking expensive and wont get the desired result. For ex. the product link you shared it cost ₹28,505.00 and uses a camera for screen color detection but it's dependent on how the room lighting is and wont generate accurate color.

For the DIY I am trying it will cost me anywhere between 3K to 7K depending on the hardware I buy and it will be capturing the exact color of the video signal via HDMI capture card. Plus it can also work for projector screens backlight. The above product wont be able to capture in case of a huge screen is used.

Lastly its more fun to experiment :)

I am aware of these solutions but these are freaking expensive and wont get the desired result. For ex. the product link you shared it cost ₹28,505.00 and uses a camera for screen color detection but it's dependent on how the room lighting is and wont generate accurate color.

For the DIY I am trying it will cost me anywhere between 3K to 7K depending on the hardware I buy and it will be capturing the exact color of the video signal via HDMI capture card. Plus it can also work for projector screens backlight. The above product wont be able to capture in case of a huge screen is used.

Lastly its more fun to experiment :)
Hi @Michelangalo, did you go through with the project ? I have been reading about the diy ambient lighting setup as well, and was curious if others had gone through with it

Hi @Michelangalo, did you go through with the project ? I have been reading about the diy ambient lighting setup as well, and was curious if others had gone through with it
Yes I did and it works like a charm and similar to the video shared above. Total cost was approx 9-10K (4K HDMI splitter cost almost 4K). If on tight budget then regular splitter can be used which cost around 1.5-2K (may or may not work as its a cheap Chinese product, its a hit or miss thing). The only issue with my setup is that Ps5 doesn't show HDR content using this, for PC it works perfectly.

@Michelangalo

Brilliant, congratulations to you.

Well looks like this will become one of my 'projects' in the new year.

Which led lights did you get ? I know they are probably the cheapest component but after all the effort, one would want the best color clarity and effects.

Yes I did and it works like a charm and similar to the video shared above. Total cost was approx 9-10K (4K HDMI splitter cost almost 4K). If on tight budget then regular splitter can be used which cost around 1.5-2K (may or may not work as its a cheap Chinese product, its a hit or miss thing). The only issue with my setup is that Ps5 doesn't show HDR content using this, for PC it works perfectly.
Congratulations, very happy for you.

Nice! Congrats, bud! I use a projector. Have you used this with a projector? I am somewhat intrigued by the idea, but I am also afraid that the backlight will not be good with a PJ as we need to ensure darkness for better picture quality.

On a side note, if this does not look good with a projector, I am thinking of DIYing a disco light / ceiling LEDs that sync with music. Has anyone tried that?

Nice! Congrats, bud! I use a projector. Have you used this with a projector? I am somewhat intrigued by the idea, but I am also afraid that the backlight will not be good with a PJ as we need to ensure darkness for better picture quality.

On a side note, if this does not look good with a projector, I am thinking of DIYing a disco light / ceiling LEDs that sync with music. Has anyone tried that?
It can be used with anything. It uses HDMI capture card, so any input you give, the Led wil display colors accordingly.

I have installed the led strip behind the TV and it goes across the edges of the entire screen (around 3 to 5m for 55" TV). One thing to be noted is that for a projector screens you might require 50-100m led strip and also bigger power supply. 5m led strip costs 1200-1800.

Last edited:

Search 'ambilight setup for projector' on YouTube, I had seen some results which may work for you.

Curious on how the disco light/ceiling lights will be sync'd with your music - assuming the lights are connected to a central control box and run by an app on your phone ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back