I couldn't find what I need yet. Driver suggestion please .....

Naveenbnc

Hi all .... I have to ask this question in a separate thread once again ..... (Sorry if im irritating :oops::D)

I am looking for a cheap and best Full Range driver.
Preferably a Pro Driver with the following qualities.

1. High Sensitivity 90 to 95+
2. 8 or 6 Ohms
3. High SPL
4. Should cover highs, good vocals, and should go down to 80hz in an OB or Sealed Box or Ported
5. Should work in a smallest enclosure possible.
6. Size can be 12" or smaller
7. Should be available locally

Here is the next challenge.... :p:D
1. Should not cost more than 3 to 4k !!!
I need 5 or 7 drivers for HT.

Background
Basically I need to find a driver that can perform as good as SK12FRX Ahuja (just 1.4k), but in a smallest enclosure possible.
Drawbacks with SK12FRX is that it needs a large box to give low end. (may be EQ can solve this)
In some areas it lacks fast attack to handle FAST-ROCK kind of music.

If we could not find any driver with all those qualities.....may be we have to declare SK12FRX as a king in that budget :D:D

Hope someone can help me ....
Regards,
Naveen

Although I am a complete noob when it comes to DIY stuff, I think most people audio drivers are never meant to be full range, but always coupled with tweeter's. I don't think a pro series speaker is ever sold without a tweeter. Especially those big horn drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also guessing options are narrow to tick all my requirements. Lets see if others can suggest....

Except some of us don't like that company:D.... We have a live example in the form of Sk12Frx that a driver can fit all my requirements expect the two drawback i mentioned. 1. Large enclosure 2. Lacks fast attack in few areas.
DX12 F200 is equally good with higher wattage

I never felt it needs a tweeter ...may be a super tweeter can help.

Last edited:
Although I am a complete boob when it comes to DIY stuff, I think most people audio drivers are never meant to be full range, but always coupled with tweeter's. I don't think a pro series speaker is ever sold without a tweeter. Especially those big horn drivers.

Hmm.. Point to consider

Last edited by a moderator:
:)
I'm neither a fan nor have any special attachment with Ahuja Sk12frx. In fact... for some specific songs i didn't like the sound signature of Ahuja. It is very good in many other areas though. Sound is natural and airy. Vocals are easy and nice.

But unless I find another driver with better specs in my budget ....I can't ditch Ahuja and move ahead.

If I'm ready to spend 10-15k for each driver, may be we have more options or import them. But the total cost for 5 or 7 drivers shoots too high. We can get decent 5.0 package with that money, buy I don't want that. I already sold my branded speakers to go diy.

Now I want to explore the best 5.0 or 7.0 HT setup in a least budget. Im ok with 12" drivers. But in smaller enclosures.

Naveen Bhai it’s time you made a trip to Jaipur !!!!!

I like tuffs statement, he being a DIY b..... sorry noob !!!

Naveen, stop thinking of 12” or even 10” full range drivers for HT. Look for 6.5 or 8”.
:D:D
Actually smaller driver is far better for me !!!
I was just hopeful that bigger driver can have better chances of giving dynamic vocals as a center channel. I want to use the same driver for all the channels.

And Jaipur !!! Love to visit...but some constraints holding me back currently :D:D

@ Naveen
Consider 10gdsh-1-4. Will try and post some YouTube video if possible today from my build
Thank you Hari ....:)

Dayton RS100-4 x 6 drivers. Two for center, one each for the rest.
Use one or two active subwoofers. You will be done with. All enclosures ported

Thank you Hari .... :):)

I checked for it... But it is 4 ohms. My AVR can not drive them. Using two in Center channel in series gives 8 ohms.

But for the rest of the channels my AVR may struggle. Is there any trick to use 4ohms driver with 8ohm AVR ?? (May be add 4ohms resister in series along with speaker. I'm dumb in this area....)

Secondly, Sk12Frx is 97db sensitive. Dayton is only 87.5db, that too @2.83v. Not at 1W/1M.

If I have a power amp for all channels this Dayton is the best choice... But it may not work with my AVR :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And it's not available online. Need to hunt for supplier. But i want to use this driver atleast once for stereo BS. Please let me know if any supplier is there .... Il take 2 pieces

Dayton is only 87.5db
I drive it with a 10 watt amp and it goes very loud. You are comparing a 12 inch with a 4 inch.
For center channel, do not wire then either in series or parallel. run a Y cable and power them from two different amps.
However since you are using a AVR, guess that is ruled out. You can use just a single driver then for the center.
it is available from diyaudiocart.

he RS100 also comes in 8 ohm aswell, but needs a little bigger enclosure. The 4 ohm version has a far better on axis frequency response and one of the best midranges that i have heard.

The more I search...the more I'm getting surprised. My curiosity is increasing day by day.

There are hundreds of drivers out there.... But so far i couldn't find a single driver that has better specs as Sk12Frx @ that price point !!!!:cool::cool: (i know specs is not everything....some drivers may sound amazing irrespective of specs....)

I don't want to get stuck with this driver forever. Need to find atleast a few better alternatives without being too expensive

But as I said earlier in a different thread.... This Ahuja driver is still laughing at me :p:p:p

available from diyaudiocart
It shows sold out in diyaudiocart. Let me check again....

You are comparing a 12 inch with a 4 inch.
For me any driver size is absolutely fine... Only the overall enclosure should be as small as possible ....

RS100 also comes in 8 ohm aswell, but needs a little bigger enclosure.
That's a good news !!! Il see if I can get them....

I drive it with a 10 watt amp and it goes very loud. You are comparing a 12 inch with a 4 inch.
For center channel, do not wire then either in series or parallel. run a Y cable and power them from two different amps.
However since you are using a AVR, guess that is ruled out. You can use just a single driver then for the center.
it is available from diyaudiocart.

he RS100 also comes in 8 ohm aswell, but needs a little bigger enclosure. The 4 ohm version has a far better on axis frequency response and one of the best midranges that i have heard.

https://diyaudiocart.com/Dayton-Audio-RS100-8-4-Reference-Full-Range-Driver-8-Ohm

I think this is the one you are referring to....

yes...but it is the 8 ohm version
Thank you very much Kannan... I never knew 8 ohms version is available in this driver. But any way....4 ohms version is out of stock....

What driver specs are you looking at to determine suitability for "dynamic vocals"?
Well... obviously specs can't say this.. :D
So I'm asking suggestions from people based on their user experience.

Its very difficult to find a driver that is an allrounder. The RS100 4 ohm has just typical efficiency, its 8 ohm version is very inefficient. However, both can perform very well if crossed high. But then you have a 2 way.

I would suggest Boston acoustics 8" fullrange driver, you need to have a helper woofer or FAST design.
http://www.rajdeepelectronics.com/loudspeakers_boston.htm. Its easily available and doesn't cost much.

Speaker design is about choosing the right compromises.

Thank you Hari .... :):)

I checked for it... But it is 4 ohms. My AVR can not drive them. Using two in Center channel in series gives 8 ohms.

But for the rest of the channels my AVR may struggle. Is there any trick to use 4ohms driver with 8ohm AVR ?? (May be add 4ohms resister in series along with speaker. I'm dumb in this area....)

Secondly, Sk12Frx is 97db sensitive. Dayton is only 87.5db, that too @2.83v. Not at 1W/1M.

If I have a power amp for all channels this Dayton is the best choice... But it may not work with my AVR :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And it's not available online. Need to hunt for supplier. But i want to use this driver atleast once for stereo BS. Please let me know if any supplier is there .... Il take 2 pieces
10gdsh is very refined speaker. May not suit for HT. Moreover they are just 10 watts. Consider Dayton as per Kannan suggestions.

Its very difficult to find a driver that is an allrounder.
this is what i felt :):) and that too in a budget !!
However, both can perform very well if crossed high. But then you have a 2 way.
I wanted to try this driver sooner or later .... regarding 2way ... I want to avoid crossover as far as possible.
So I will use a single FR driver per channel. All I need is to go down to around 80hz in a suitable enclosure.
From there on wards, my external sub will take care.
Boston acoustics 8" fullrange
This is in my list as per your earlier personal advise:) .... will surely give a try !!

10gdsh is very refined speaker. May not suit for HT. Moreover they are just 10 watts. Consider Dayton as per Kannan suggestions.
I watch action movies a lot ... so need something that can go loud and can be used rough and tough (if i can use that word)
Earlier I had fostex drivers 15W i guess... and I always hesitated to pump up the volume ...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back