I m planning 2 buy a mini hifi component music system.which one is better sony or phi

joemathew85

im considering 3 models
1)sony MHC-GZR 77D
2)philips FWD397,
3)Philips MCD 355.
which one is better system in terms of sound quality
pls reply

Re: I m planning 2 buy a mini hifi component music system.which one is better sony or

Better save more money , increase your budget and get a mini system from onkyo,denon or yamaha.

Re: I m planning 2 buy a mini hifi component music system.which one is better sony or

Check out the LG FB164. Sounds quite decent.

When it comes to mini hifi sony is best bet ,if u dont have budget constrains u can go for denon's and yamahas...

Ofcourse its Sony.. Please go with Sony at u will get punchy Bass and clear treble when compare to Philips Boomy bass effect.. Sony is more reliable than Philips..

i came across a sony model called MHC-GZR5D

which seems much more cheaper. my primary aim is to listen to music.how is this set

Avoid SONY. They are just money pullers by hiking cost. I'd suggest you better go for a PHILIPS system with subwoofer (for the deeper sub 50 Hz bass).

Last edited:

Joe, please let us know the budget you have in mind for your setup. You would be far better served by separates rather than a mini-comp system.

choose sony

sony as what happens if thereare problems with philips? also do you want the system only for 1 year? ( until warentee ends?)

Yesterday i watched a DivX movie on a SONY Home Theater. The sound output was okay and not too good. The bass was good but its voice and treble levels were quite lesser. Also, it played only 3/4th of of the entire DivX .AVI file which i enjoyed on my Philips DVD player. It even failed to detect the MP3 files on the same DVD that had the AVI file. Not so impressive.

We guys were disappointed and regretted for unable to watch one full movie. Should have bought a Philips rather than SONY. Philips plays almost everything. So, visit outlets and play some files and check carefully ALL the features before you buy a HT as it may lack some of the essential features you're looking for !

Sony has very poor separation of channel in case of Dolby etc. Philips is very good at it. If you want to experience 5.1 sound effects across the speakers, Philips only.

Sony has very poor separation of channel in case of Dolby etc.

Maybe you're right. I could not feel the surround effect at all on SONY HT. Only Dolby Pro Logic mode gave some spaciality but with considerable reduction in BASS. How are Philips Home Theaters? I heard their Class D Amplifiers are damn good.

SONY is good at DVD player / LCD Tvs ..etc. Not at AUDIO market. I am using the DVD player of SONY and there's no problem at all. I hooked up to my ONKYO amp.

But As per speakers, SONY is inferior to PHILIPS speakers. PHILIPS has better clarity as per my hearing experience at showroom. Choose PHILIPS.

SONY is good at DVD player / LCD Tvs ..etc. Not at AUDIO market.

Not really, friend. SONY's music systems have been superior to Philips as far as I've observed. Philips music systems somehow lack that tight bass of SONY. It was Philips and SONY that invented the DVD together. So both DVD players have to be good(I own Philips).

But As per speakers, SONY is inferior to PHILIPS speakers.

100% true ! I purchased a Philips headphone (model # SHP-2700) .... trust me, it's the ultimate headphone and produces dynamic bass that is SO deep and crisp. My trust in Philips has increased exponentially. Despite this inferiority, why is the expensive SONY pampered to be the most 'standard' brand?

Last edited:

Not really, friend. SONY's music systems have been superior to Philips as far as I've observed. Philips music systems somehow lack that tight bass of SONY.
I meant SONY is not more successful on audio market as they are on TVs and DVD players. Still people buys it for "brand".
SONY TVs are good because of thier bravia Engine which does good job of improving the quality of picture and it's superior to other brands , they have the similar engine in th DVD player as well.

But for sound i dont find any improvisation is done. Their audio systems lacks the brighter side of music and the type of BASS it produces is not enjoyable ..little bit boomy BASS.

SONY TVs are good because of thier bravia Engine which does good job of improving the quality of picture and it's superior to other brands

I don't know about their 'DVD players' but yesterday i watched movie on SONY DVD-HT DAV-DZ777. The navigation menu was superior (as usual SONY hypes it's look and feel), but playability was pathetic.

BRAVIA is an award winning TV with its much acclaimed (and hyped !) DRC Engine, again introduced by the envious SONY after Philips launched Pixel Plus.

the type of BASS it produces is not enjoyable ..little bit boomy BASS.

I've heard a lot about the MAXX and wOOx sound systems from Philips. Gone is the era of music systems due to HTiBs. Last week I came across a Philips music system model # FWD397 @ Croma. Although it had the much acclaimed MAXX sound system, the funny part was that its 3-way speakers (with 5 inch woofers) were not as deep as the main unit ! So the bass was blunt. Can you suggest any Philips music system(s) model that is really good with good bass?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back