I.S.C.T. 1st Images of new dual 8 - 12 PR Enclosure Template Build Up .

UpperCut

In all my research over time I have mostly been looking for Driver chassis which are distinctively different and suited in correspondence to some of my own enclosure ideas.
The two driver chassis I became extremely interested in, and these I found only a few weeks ago were the Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer or the Tang Band W8-1363SBF 8" Paper Cone Subwoofer which I have read now a few big rave reviews about from Europe are also available on PE, and some people which had bough and used these already had something good to say about these!

So all in all the idea of this project was to developed around the Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer & the PRV Audio 8MR500-PhP-4 8" Mid-bass Midrange Woofer as main items to be used, and as this project is for multiple use and build in a 5 pack type configuration these packs can be exchanged in full or simple just slices of any of these packs. In any case the main baffle including face plates & decoupling rings can be at any time remodeled to suit different ideas as well.

I was also thinking about using a Tweeter or maybe not time will tell and with that as said before baffle plate adjustments can be made or even replaced for the full version or just for testing purposes Etc. All this is of course possible and in general the beauty of using the I.S.C.T. building method.

Tang Band:
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-740p-8-subwoofer--264-854

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1363sbf-8-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-920

PRV:
https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-8mr500-php-4-8-midbass-midrange-woofer-4-ohm--294-2709

Multiple use of project enclosure:
A) An enclosure which I could use as in this development with two 8 driver chassis & with or without a Tweeter Etc.
B) The use of a Passive Radiator of a size up to15.
C) Also instead of using a Passive Radiator a larger woofer up to a size of 15 with a view of including Amplification Etc.

I modeled this project especially in packs (5) and it is assembled as such as well (easy to see from the Images attached) but with these packs which can be easily exchanged there are also quiet a few more items included as well like exchangeable enclosure volume, different size PRs, use of woofer speaker chassis and so on .

1) A new idea in the set up of the decoupling the Cabinet footing (6 to 8 Spikes required due to the weight of the enclosure) remodeled for extreme heavy loads like 160 / 180 Kg
2) Speaker chassis and PR decoupling as well as Tweeter Faceplate decoupling (free floating) with exchangeable faceplates and different positioning (out of center) of Tweeters Etc.

3) Pro high grade compound shielded 12 gauge Seimic Audio wiring channeled within the solid cabinet body itself and secured with an elastic rubber compound.

4) Inside dampening throughout with my own (Air Cushioning - Area Trapped Air Arresting Motion Suspension) just as used before in nearly all of my other projects and which is by now well proven.

This project I find is quiet interesting as the Tang Band woofer is the only one feeding its energy out put to the PR by a Labyrinth /Balancing type of a set up within which will ensure that the PR is equally supplied with the energy wave from different areas (there is of course much more to it but this should do for the moment), and initially I will start with just below 1 cubic foot of volume for the woofer (creating a smaller or for that matter larger volume as said before is easy enough), and the PRV Mid-bass Midrange Woofer will only be used above 200 - 300 Hz to 15.000 Hz so the enclosure volume for that chassis can be smaller as mid-range would be all what is expected of this speaker chassis.

Please Note: Pack 5 is incomplete (PR section) about another 6 slices missing!

Rgs UpperCut

5 Pack Dual 8 Inch 002.jpg

5 Pack Dual 8 Inch 001.jpg

Msg.jpg

Superb design. Excellent work!

I must say this is one of the best speaker designs I've come across so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is awesome work

Superb design. Excellent work!
I must say this is one of the best speaker designs I've come across so far.

Amazing work.

I like to thank you all for your kind acknowledgement which if Im honest is quiet rare because as some people seem to think that it cant be DIY, yet it is 100% with just the same hand tools everybody in general uses.

Im also not a trades person if it comes to woodwork yet somebody which has worked in electronics, mechanical automotive & as a computer engineer.
I find it is not what or how, but if a person has some kind of vision of something not always necessarily better, but eager to persevere and to excel for the good of this brilliant hobby of ours! I like to see my own work as a small guide an encouragement to enclosure modeling and to encourage any DIY person to have set his goals high.

More Images of this development soon!

Rgs UpperCut

Dear Uppercut,

In your earlier thread you have mentioned "I.S.C.T. Speaker with dual 'Sealed & Vented' compartment enclosures" I am really unable to understand what you mean by Sealed and Vented. Then you started this thread again and uploaded your images of Built Procedure...

"WoW it looks awesome" I must say you have put too much efforts in making them. But still i am unable to figure out what do you mean by "Sealed and Vented Compartment" Can you upload a cross sectional view showing Internals of your enclosure so that i can atleast guess what is the design actually.

Like me there may be many others who might be interested in understanding this concept of your enclosure.

Sadik Bhatkar

Hi there Sadik Bhatkar,

Thanks for your reply!

First up I like to mention that the "I.S.C.T. Speaker with dual 'Sealed & Vented' compartment enclosures" and this thread are completely different! The one mentioned is one Im working on and was trying to find out more about through the community Etc. I did build a Template build up of that YES and I did send out Images as well, but the above Images of this thread are a different build up & a different project all together.

Now, the Sealed & Vented project I made a build up off and was running for a week or so was a great success but I did not liked the shape at all (rectangular) so I did this project introduced and build as in this thread above Images to experiment more and take time to get to grips with the calculations which are quiet complex.

OK, the Sealed & Vented project is momentarily on hold due to trying to find any info for that at all, and as you do not understand at the moment the workings I like to mention this about it:
The project is ONE UNIT designed & developed in a MTM configuration and build with a sealed section compartment and a vented compartment both interconnected NOT by a tube of any shape, but still working interactively together. So the normal set up of a MTM combined with a vented section which of course has to now be calculated with its outlet section (not any tube or else of any shape) but in parts of the enclosure build itself.

Now, you mention this: I must say you have put too much effort in making them. but sorry to disagree with you on that as it is in my eyes never enough effort which could be put into an enclosure development to actually archive the best because you can only created something which actually is different and so much better if you put 110% into an enclosure as electronics is easy enough and can be altered and adjusted to your liking yet an enclosure shape and build is first to be right, and if not you just get mediocrity!!! Far to long recangular were the norm and everybody knows the pitfalls with most of that inferior design.

You also mentioned that many others could be interested yet I found nothing then resentment until now online for that idea, and you are actually the only one who has said so and seem to like it! (Including the other people on this thread!) Anyway, presently I still do more research to find out if there had been such before (and over many month now I did not find anything even close), as well as calculations in getting a better picture of that design to make it work the way I have envisaged it!

So all in all once I have something concrete together (in only a few weeks), and which I can see is perfectly working as well as I think it will I do not pass on anything more then the Images I did send out already before!

Thanks again and if you are interested in participating please do not hesitate and be in contact again as I have more ideas on these lines and do not mind input as to my believe in a group things get done much better!

Regards UpperCut

Last edited:
I am a silent follower of this thread, but could not keep quiet anymore!!!

Awesome work. Unfortunately most of us cannot afford or do this kind of painstaking woodwork. Kudos to you!!! You must have the carpenter genes in you. Awaiting once the drivers are fixed and your listening experience.

In one of my previous replies I stated that the "I.S.C.T. Speaker with dual 'Sealed & Vented' compartment enclosures" and this project are completely different!
Yet I have to apologize because that is not quiet right / true as this project was only really started because of some main issues I had myself with the test build up of the Sealed & Vented project (Images etc. here on this forum in a older thread! http://www.hifivision.com/diy/62337-i-s-c-t-speaker-dual-sealed-vented-compartment-enclosures.html

OK, to explain what my issues were is easy:
First up the Sealed & Vented project was a build up of a MTM configuration using D8G Swan, Hi-Vi driver, but the heard of it all was the interactive section between the sealed compartment & the vented compartment which had to be much larger then 8 and with that the overall width of the enclosure was to my liking to wide (about 330 mm) and the side walls of that section became to thin.
Now the second item I did not liked on that enclosure was that it was rectangular in shape (building this type and routing strait sides is not my idea of fun) and in general to my personal believe - Simple life is too short to do boring!

So all in all and for many-many reasons I came up with this design, and now were it is build (yet not finished) I can see it used in so many different ways but also to be a guide to return to the Sealed & Vented project to approach a new build in more detail.

As you can see from my Images send in this thread this build is quiet deep because of the sub section which is balancing the energy wave of the single woofer, but please look at it again and visualize it much shorter and disconnected between the 8 woofer which easily could be something else and the PR section which actually could become an active woofer section well food for thought so have some ideas yourself, and if you like let me know what you think about that!

In any case I will be back with news once I have received the speaker chassis, but also with news once at hand from the new build of the Sealed & Vented project!

rgs UpperCut

And by the way the colour on this enclosure is a type Melon Yellow and the black is not really a black but a very dark Charcoal which has a blue / Green tint to it. I enclose another Image so maybe you can see the difference.

FrontBaffle.jpg

Hi there,

The last time I send an Image was mid May and then I was waiting for my mid-range speakers chassis yet I'm sorry to say that I lost an air freight order and so I used a 8" midrange chassis I had lying around to complete this project as much as possible, and to wait for the next order with the right speakers to arrive - well, hopefully!

rgs UpperCut

Picture 552a.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back