"SOLSTICE" MLTL Designed by Late Mr. Jeff Bagby (RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
which cable will you use to connect the crossover to the speaker drivers and speaker terminal/s ?

Hope its a good one - this is the time to do good things for inside the cabinet, even if it takes effort... as the inside may not be opened again for a long time and hopefully forever.

As they say - the God lies in the details !

which cable will you use to connect the crossover to the speaker drivers and speaker terminal/s ?

Hope its a good one - this is the time to do good things for inside the cabinet, even if it takes effort... as the inside may not be opened again for a long time and hopefully forever.

As they say - the God lies in the details !

All Internal Cables used are Belden 8477 except for tweeter.

Now Further updates

Crossover (It came pre assembled)
IMG_20201205_121620.jpg

IMG_20201205_231307.jpg

Stuffing Requires about 1lb (450 gms approx) for each enclosure. In my scale i have to measure it part wise like below photos
IMG_20201205_120044.jpg
IMG_20201205_120331.jpg

Enclosure stuffing
IMG_20201206_115335.jpg

Driver Assembly
IMG_20201205_233531.jpg
IMG_20201206_133558.jpg
IMG_20201206_133633.jpg

One will not believe the performance of such compact speakers, One needs to hear it personally to believe it. These are one of the best sounding speakers. The Bass is very powerful (unbelievable for such a small size of drivers), the highs are crystal clear & mids are sweet. In short everything is well balanced. The DIY community has faced a great loss due to sudden death of the Legend. Mr. Jeff Bagby (RIP) We miss you.

Now countdown for the final color starts.

amazing !!

will be nice to link a video of these playing for the members benifit...

I want to hear as well

:))

Thank you sir.

From the video it appears that the mobile is the Analog source. Can you provide details about the preamp and the power amp.
You got very good results with the kit. Even with your mobile video the sound quality comes through.
I believe you have now top shelf DIY components. I am not sure about the preamp but from I remember you have constructed the F5 turbo and J Hiraga and few other class AB amps. Congratulations.

From the video it appears that the mobile is the Analog source. Can you provide details about the preamp and the power amp.
You got very good results with the kit. Even with your mobile video the sound quality comes through.
I believe you have now top shelf DIY components. I am not sure about the preamp but from I remember you have constructed the F5 turbo and J Hiraga and few other class AB amps. Congratulations.

The Preamp is from our FM @shaan 'PEECEEBEE Preamp"
Power Amp is by APEX "STUDIO REFERENCE SR - 200" - One of the best sounding class AB power amp.
Its sounds amazing, what it would sound once its moved to a living room/?
Just one word "MAGIC"
I hope the buyer has a good amplifier capable of extracting the best out of these speakers
I hope he already has one, if not he can arrange.

If the owner believes in burn in I can give these beautiful speakers proper burn in. Couple of months would be good. and 2 months additional will make things 100% sure. Rock, Pop, classical and Bollywood music would be tested (No MP3 will be used). Speaker will be well taken care of like motherly kindergarten teacher takes care of children. Kindly tell.
Regards

In the uploaded picture of the crossover, isn't it missing a 25R shunt resistor [one part of the L-pad]?
Also, isn't the iron core inductor supposed to be an air core per design?
Crossover modified per taste?

In the uploaded picture of the crossover, isn't it missing a 25R shunt resistor [one part of the L-pad]?
Also, isn't the iron core inductor supposed to be an air core per design?
Crossover modified per taste?
nice spotting on the shunt. :)

there are arguments for using an iron core instead of an aircore. lower DCR for one. and less saturation at higher power. but yes clearly modified as per taste

there are arguments for using an iron core instead of an aircore. lower DCR for one. and less saturation at higher power. but yes clearly modified as per taste
On the woofer circuit, yes. Oh, and you missed another important argument - cost! :)

Last edited:
The Solstice is a Parts Express kit with a fixed price

Why would someone modify the standard crossover with lower cost in mind ?

OTOH..the modifications if any should increase cost.

I see some nice components there.

Are these modifications or simply component changes to a higher grade ?

Just asking for knowledge. Am no technical expert.

The Solstice is a Parts Express kit with a fixed price

Why would someone modify the standard crossover with lower cost in mind ?

OTOH..the modifications if any should increase cost.

I see some nice components there.

Are these modifications or simply component changes to a higher grade ?

Just asking for knowledge. Am no technical expert.
The caps in this kit are far superior and are much much higher priced than the pe kit oem caps.. Similarly the resistor. The fe core inductor is also a very high quality one

The Mundorf cap on the tweeter circuit should be a step up in quality from the Dayton that ships with the kit. It's also ~15x expensive than the one that comes with the kit.
The Solen cap on the woofer circuit should be around the same quality as the Dayton shipped with the kit but it's rated for 400V so it costs a little more than the one with the kit that is rated at 250V.
The resistor is a touted "non inductive" type but tests have debunked the "non inductive" part of this marketing talk so probably same as the Dayton with the kit.

Last edited:
The caps in this kit are far superior and are much much higher priced than the pe kit oem caps.. Similarly the resistor. The fe core inductor is also a very high quality one
Imo, the Mundorf M-cap is an entry level capacitor from them. In tweeter ckt I would prefer atleast an Aluminium Oil type capacitor. Still better will be copper, silver or gold if affordable.

There is nothing that stops an entry level from sounding good enough.
It's all about preference and affordability. Even a bipolar electrolytic will do if on a budget I have used Epcos motor and pump capacitors with good success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back