I want to understand, buy/build a good HT system (50K - 1L). Please help.

Thanks Sid,

One question

I understand the front speakers and center should ideally of same brand. Out of polk audio and KEF, which one do you recommend and why?
Does it hold true for subwoofer also ?

tx

kapilg - It is very hard to recommend one brand or another without actually having auditioned them - which I have not. I have had polk audio (I dont rem. the model but it was a $1000 bookshelf) and kef (reference series) in the past and preferred polk for movies and kef for music. Again this was almost 10 years ago and lot has changed so please treat my observation as a very general statement. You have to listen to both yourself and pick the one that sounds best to your ears regardless of what reviews or people on this forum say. Subwoofer does not matter - you can pick any brand. Again you need to audition it as well.
Cheers
Sid

I agree with sidvee, I just listened to both and they key point is they have a different signature in terms of sound. Some hate Polks while some just love it. I personally like the iq series in Kef to the eqvt. priced option for Polk. But I would think its better for you to try it out. In India, they are both sold by Profx so its easy to compare, not sure how is it in the US.

Thanks Sud,

Can someone help me understanding how to match
1) wattage 2) frequency 3)Sensitivity of various components

For eg, in the config that I selected
=======================
Denon 2310 - spec says All 7 channels of equal 105-watt power @ 0.08 % THD, 20 - 20kHz.

RTi A7 FS -300 W, 3-Way 4 Speaker Bass Reflex Floor Standers ,Frequency : 35Hz-26kHz
Sensitivity : 89dB

CSi A6 center -200 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Centre.Frequency : 55Hz-26kHz
Sensitivity : 90dB

FXi A4 surround -150 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bipole/Dipole Surrounds Frequency : 60Hz-26kHz.Sensitivity : 88dB

Sub PSW 125 -300 W, 12 Front Firing Downward Ported Type ,Frequency : 32Hz to 225Hz, CrossOver Frequency : 60Hz to 160Hz (now what is this !!)

Oppo BDP-83 - Frequency: 20Hz - 20kHz (0.4dB), Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >110dB (A-weighted) THD+N: < 0.002% (1kHz at 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF
=============
Now how do we match various wattages and frequencies and ...... other parameters ?? This is to see what other options can I review based on the possible compatibility.

Pls help

Almost finalized

Hey guys,

Almost finalized below set up

1) Denon AVR 2310
2) Oppo BDP-83 player

Klipsch

3) RF 62
4) RC 62 center
5) RS 52 surround

Subwoofer - Please help in deciding (50% movies / 50 % music)

1) HSU VTF-3 MK2 ($ 549) 250 watts
2) SVS PB-12 ($ 599) 325 watts
3) Velodyne DLS 4000 ($599) -200 watts
4) Klipsch RW 12-D ($ 599) 350 watts

I will not be able to audition all of these. But what do you guys recommend based on my other setup.

Will look forward to comments.

Re: Almost finalized

Hey guys,

Almost finalized below set up

1) Denon AVR 2310
2) Oppo BDP-83 player

Just mater of concern, Denon 2310 is highly rated - but don't have front HDMI input and thx certification. Available at $508 as of now which is very low price since Denon 2311 and 991 coming out by June-10. Also Opo BDP-83 will make Denon 2310's ABT up scaling chip useless for DVD. Compare Denon 2310 with Onkyo 608 as well.

Thanks bro,

Can you please elaborate on both points in detail. I am little alien to this HT world.

Hi Kapil,

What the redundancy is the following:

Assume you watch DVD -

The Oppo will be upscaling it with the same chip as the Denon 2310, so the upscaling of the 2310 is redundant. The extra power although could come handy.

Assume you watch Blu ray

Then both Oppo and Denon will be doing nothing much from a video perspective.

So the option for you would be to go for Oppo BDP 80 and save the extra 200$ or go lower in the Denon and save the money.

If you are into both movies and music, the BDP-83 has better stereo circuitry so will help.

The other point to consider is that in the US model, the Denon 2810 will be the lowest to have pre-outs for adding an amp in case you need it in the future. (In Asia and Europe models its the 2310).

From a sub perspective, I would suggest the HSU VTF MK3, although this only by specs and views across this and other forums as the best vfm in the price range. Do get the voltage changed at the factory to 240v as they do it on request.

Sud

Quote 'The other point to consider is that in the US model, the Denon 2810 will be the lowest to have pre-outs for adding an amp in case you need it in the future. (In Asia and Europe models its the 2310).'

Please through some more light on this.

Secondly on redundency - If I am watching a CD, then also I think one of the 2 will be redundent ? right ?

On sub. Thanks for the recommendation and voltage tip. Do we get it in India also (HSUs-If yes, is it at same price as in US) . I researched 2 Subs on various forums ie

HSU VTF-3 MK3 - 350 watts $699 +$100
HSU VTF-2 MK3 250 watts - $ 549 +$59

Which one do you think will complement the speakers (Klipsch RF62s) ? Will HSU VTF-3 MK3 be an overkill ?

Sud

Quote 'The other point to consider is that in the US model, the Denon 2810 will be the lowest to have pre-outs for adding an amp in case you need it in the future. (In Asia and Europe models its the 2310).'

Please through some more light on this.

Check the Denon US site for 2310 and view the back panel image and you will find there are no pre-outs.

Then check the Denon Europe or Asia site for 2310 and view the back panel image you will find there are pre-outs. At this point, it may not make a difference, but if you need to add more power later on by adding an extra amp it could come useful.

I am not sure I got your comment 'watching a CD', how do you do that?

HSU is not sold or serviced in India. I would think for most homes the VTF-2 should be sufficient, unless you have a very large room.

BTW, how do the klipsh sound? Give your feedback on the same. The specs seem very good.

Sud,

1) The room size is 15'x20'.

2) Please confirm Which HSU models will be a perfect match with Klipsch RF 62 and RC 62 combination. I am giving below detailed specs for ready reference.

HSU VTF-3 MK3 - 350 watts $699 +$100
HSU VTF-2 MK3 250 watts - $ 549 +$59

Difference is approx $200. If a higher model will overkill then why waste money? but not sure.

3) As I have been understanding, Klipsch is more bright and on movie side than music, will this sub (HSU) not be out of sync ? Just a thought !

================
RC 62 - Center
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 57Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 150W RMS / 600W Peak
SENSITIVITY 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1150Hz, 1650Hz
+====================
RF 62 Front
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 125W RMS / 500W Peak
SENSITIVITY 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1800Hz
========================
VTF-3 MK3 At a Glance
Amp Power (RMS) 350 Watts
Bass Extension (max extension mode) 18 Hz , +/- 1 dB
Bass Extension (max output mode) 25 Hz
Woofer Size 12 Inches
Crossover Bypassable 24 dB/Oct, continuously variable 30 - 90 Hz low pass
Ports Dual flared 4 Inch
Phase 0/180
Inputs speaker level (2), line level (2)
Power Outlet Requirement 430 W, 120/240V
========================================

VTF-2 MK 3 At a glance
Amp Power (RMS) 250
Frequency Response Bass extension +/- 1 dB(maxiumum extension mode) 18 Hz, +/- 1 dB
Frequency Response (maxiumum output mode) 25 Hz
Woofer Size 12 Inches
Crossover Bypassable 24 dB/Oct, continuously variable 30 - 90 Hz low pass filter
Phase 0/180
Dimensions 22"(h) X 15" (w) X 23" (d)
Ship Weight 80 Lbs
Outlet Power Requirement 300 W, 120/240V

Since, HSU recommends the vtf2mk3 for room sizes upto 4500 cubic feet, so it should be fine for you.

If your tastes in music are other than hip-hop/trance, you would possibly listening to music primarily from your front two speakers.

For movies, you need a quick(responsive) sub that can go quite low for handling the lower frequency effects. Your typical crossover to the sub will be between 50-80hz which you can set it up.

If you can audition your setup that would be the best way to find out. Specs are a poor guide to buying a speaker in general. If audition is not possible, then use the HSU's 30 day satisfaction guarantee and return if unhappy.

Ok guys. So here is what I have finalised till now...

AVR-Denon 2310
Oppo BDP-83
Panasonic PV10
Klipsch RF-62 front
Klipsch RF-62 center
Klipsch RS-52 surround
HSU VTF-2 MK3

Thanks. Will let you know the outcome soon. In the meanwhile, please keep helping me in improving the same....

Hey,

As a common understanding Klipsch do a great job for movies but little harsh on music.

Can I have surrounds not from Klipsch and from some other (musical) brand. As is also Klipsch surrounds are overpriced.

What say ?

You can buy surrounds from other companies it would not matter much. Having all from the same set has advantages but with surrounds not so necessary.

Friends, i have mordaunt short aviano 8 series spkr, am looking for cambridge audio 640A v2... am bit confused on selecting the amp. please suggest me on this or should i go for 740a as there is not much difference between 640a and 650a

Does anyone know who is the Paradigm authorised dealer in Delhi?
Is there a place where I can audition Paradigm and Klipsch side by side?

BTW, the surrounds for music would make sense if you were hearing SACD or DVD Audio, google to understand them.

Paradigm is sold in India with Kripa Electronics as the distributor. I know in Bangalore, Absolute Phase (who is present in this forum) is the sole dealer. Dont know of the Delhi dealer.

Hi,

Am confused on below mentioned three SUBs.

HSU VTF-2 MK3 ($ 549) 250 watts
SVS PB-12 ($ 599) 325 watts
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus ($549) - 350 watts

Please comment on which SBU is better considering all are in the same price range.

Thanks

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back