I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to buy

Babu G

Hi forum,
I am new to this forum............
I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to buy........... with in the range of 40k~45k.........

Re: I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to

Hi,

I don't think you'll get a 42" LCD in your budget of 40 to 45k. The cheapest 42" LCD I found was a Philips which I was getting for 55k. You will get a plasma however. I recently bought a 42" LG plasma (42PQ60)for 39k, and am happy with my purchase - so far!! Read my review

Other options within the same price bracket were the Panasonic pv8/pv80 (which is quite a favorite here, so you can't go wrong with it!) which i was getting for under 42K and the Samsung A450.

However, only the LG is this year's model. The panasonic and samsung are last year's models so if you want to go for either of these brands wait for a couple or months or so.

Hope this has helped.

Re: I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to

Hi:

Please don't think otherwise, I'm quite straightforward - Panasonic PV8.:eek:hyeah:

Totally agree here. Anything else will be a compromise of sorts anyway you look at it.

Hi:

Please don't think otherwise, I'm quite straightforward - Panasonic PV8.:eek:hyeah:

I feel the biggest drawback in a Plasma TV is the light refection from it's glass panel. So you need darkened room conditions for proper viewing. And if the placement happens to opposite a window then you will have to always draw the curtain in day time while watching TV.

This problem is almost non-existent in LCDs.

I feel the biggest drawback in a Plasma TV is the light refection from it's glass panel. So you need darkened room conditions for proper viewing. And if the placement happens to opposite a window then you will have to always draw the curtain in day time while watching TV.

This problem is almost non-existent in LCDs.

What do PV8/PV80D viewers think of the reflection/glare? I have all but made up my mind because of the glare since my 40" TV will be opposite the living room window.

It's a universally known truth that glare is present with all plasma screens - with a window opposite, for that matter, no one can enjoy pictures with even a CRT. Having said that, the pros outweigh the cons with a TV like PV8/80.

I do have a french door, opening to a balcony to the left side of my PV8, and with the curtains on, my PV8 is enjoyable to watch.

Hi forum,
I wanted to buy a lcd/plasma tv (42") please guide me where to buy & which one to buy........... with in the range of 40k~45k.........

at 45k budget its hard to find a good 40/42inch lcd tv,u can probably get from third tier manufactures,but the quality won't be good.so i think the panasonic plasma will fit the bill.

Hi forum,

For this budget Panasonic PV8 is the choice of majority on this forum. You can have a look at LG 42PQ60R (2009 model) as well. There is a separate thread in this forum where someone liked it better. So, audition for yourself and pick what you would like to watch. All the best!!

Last edited:

What do PV8/PV80D viewers think of the reflection/glare? I have all but made up my mind because of the glare since my 40" TV will be opposite the living room window.

Huh, am I reading correct here? I am flabbergasted to say the least. You would rather choose to make a wrong choice with the TV itself (not to mention thousands of rupees) rather than choose the right TV and go with a curtain? Wow sounds very much like the dude who bought an LCD TV because of the 50 free DVDs given with it. Please don't make that mistake my friend. I mean no offense here and I do call you my friend and what I am sharing is for your own good. The PV8 is the best as of now. Tomorrow no one can say, but at the present for its cost and for mainly the SD content we have the PV8 is the best.

Huh, am I reading correct here? I am flabbergasted to say the least. You would rather choose to make a wrong choice with the TV itself (not to mention thousands of rupees) rather than choose the right TV and go with a curtain? Wow sounds very much like the dude who bought an LCD TV because of the 50 free DVDs given with it. Please don't make that mistake my friend. I mean no offense here and I do call you my friend and what I am sharing is for your own good. The PV8 is the best as of now. Tomorrow no one can say, but at the present for its cost and for mainly the SD content we have the PV8 is the best.

Don't get emotional dear moser:) And you cannot label LCD as a wrong choice. The debate on LCD vs Plasma is a long drawn battle. Some reviews will make plasma the winner and the other reviews will make LCD the winner. Some maybe neutral. There maybe no real winners as such. It should be an individual choice, as both have their share of pros & cons.

In India we buy TVs to last at least 5-10 years. SD content could be history much before that.

What we need to do is keep buyers aware of all the pros & cons and let them take the decision. I would have been very disappointed if I could hardly see the TV picture without drawing the curtains and making a night out of the day. (Some will have NO problem about this.) And if I had long viewing hours, everyone else at home would against me. No problem if I had a separate HT room. Yes, CRTs have same issue, but they are almost extinct as well. Moreover we buy big screens now, so more area for reflection. Why should I deprive myself of alternate technology available due to lack of knowledge? So keep them informed and let them decide without any pressure.

Don't get emotional dear moser:) And you cannot label LCD as a wrong choice. The debate on LCD vs Plasma is a long drawn battle. Some reviews will make plasma the winner and the other reviews will make LCD the winner. Some maybe neutral. There maybe no real winners as such. It should be an individual choice, as both have their share of pros & cons.

In India we buy TVs to last at least 5-10 years. SD content could be history much before that.

What we need to do is keep buyers aware of all the pros & cons and let them take the decision. I would have been very disappointed if I could hardly see the TV picture without drawing the curtains and making a night out of the day. (Some will have NO problem about this.) And if I had long viewing hours, everyone else at home would against me. No problem if I had a separate HT room. Yes, CRTs have same issue, but they are almost extinct as well. Moreover we buy big screens now, so more area for reflection. Why should I deprive myself of alternate technology available due to lack of knowledge? So keep them informed and let them decide without any pressure.

Nothing emotional about it and I did not even talk about LCD vs. Plasma here.

Just do not agree with deciding against something because of glare? Does that mean we did not watch CRT TVs all these days because glare was an issue with them too. Of course we watched them and used a curtain right? Similarly get a great TV and use a curtain now too. Why decide against it?

BTW I am not against LCD. In fact I am very much a supporter of the excellent Sony X series in LCDs. Just that other LCDs don't hold a candle to the mighty Sony but unfortunately the Sony is way too expensive. However, compared to lesser LCDs the PV8 is a better deal and more VFM hence my recommendation for it.

OK good. I am not in for LCD Vs Plasma anyway. :)

But decisions can be changed just because of the glare also. You almost cannot see anything if it's opposite the window. It could be an irritant for rest of your life, drawing full curtains. It is very individualistic choice you know.

42" screen means a very much wider area under reflection. CRTs where mostly 21", so a partly drawn curtain may have worked then. It's only when you get the big plasma screen into your living room that you realise that you are in for some big trouble..

For me it has worked out very well. Now all curtains are drawn all the time and so no more opening windows too meaning less dust, houseflies, etc. Instead the A/C is on most of the time and that too is good considering the heat outside.

OK good. I am not in for LCD Vs Plasma anyway. :)

But decisions can be changed just because of the glare also. You almost cannot see anything if it's opposite the window. It could be an irritant for rest of your life, drawing full curtains. It is very individualistic choice you know.

42" screen means a very much wider area under reflection. CRTs where mostly 21", so a partly drawn curtain may have worked then. It's only when you get the big plasma screen into your living room that you realise that you are in for some big trouble..

For me it has worked out very well. Now all curtains are drawn all the time and so no more opening windows too meaning less dust, houseflies, etc. Instead the A/C is on most of the time and that too is good considering the heat outside.

Lol :eek:hyeah: Your post clearly explains the environment where the plasmas shine the best.

But unfortunately in india, lots of living rooms are still not with doors/windows always closed + with curtains + with A/C :cool:

If you have a door ooposite to your TV, then plasmas are almost not for you.. Irrespective of you closing it, people tend to move around and leave the door open (or half closed).

It all depends on where you have placed your CRT now. Add to the fact that the plasmas produce twice as much glare.. If you are lucky you can see your face in the TV :D

any anti glare coat available ? :lol:

Hi Forum,

Thanks for your sincere reply.

Regards,

Babu G
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Plasma are very similar to CRT TVs with respect to reflection. But then Plasma offer almost same color saturation and handling of motion like old CRT TVs. The reflection is not an issue big enough to opt them out. I prefer plasma for their color and contrast, which even the good LCD fail to deliver. And finally a small note on power consumption. Plasmas consume more power but their power consumption is variable. More the brightness more the consumption. You can bring down power consumption close to LCC by reducing brightness, of course at the cost of picture quality. Some new LCDs offer localized LED switching for switching off or on the LED as per need. By and large you can not reduce power consumption in LCDs by adjusting settings. So if you are making your mind for plasma, go ahead.

PV8 /PV80 for Sd viewing as they are HD ready and C10 for FUll HD if viewing is primarily HD material, both from Panny

Is'nt C10 is also HD tv?only G10 is full HD in 42" size from Panny.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back