Ideal DVD player for LG 42lh90qr

avenger1976

All,

I am planning to buy an LG 42lh90qr (was initially planning for a Sammy 40B650, but had to change minds as Samsung seems to be bent upon driving customers away by ensuring 0 stocks of their products).

So, just wanted to know from the members as to what would be a perfect combination DVD player for this TV.

I have a Sony RV 9900 5 speaker Home Theater System. I would be pairing the DVD player with this system (for now, until I upgrade the HTC) for the audio.

I will mostly (about 70-80%) be using the DVD player to pair with my Hard Disks and watch downloaded content, and the remaining will be from discs - either DVD or Blu-Ray. My budget is about Rs. 5,000 - 8,000

Please can you suggest the ideal player for these requirements?

~ Praveen

I will mostly (about 70-80%) be using the DVD player to pair with my Hard Disks and watch downloaded content, and the remaining will be from discs - either DVD or Blu-Ray. My budget is about Rs. 5,000 - 8,000

There are a number of contradictions in your requirements.

1. A DVD Player cannot play any Blu-Ray disc.
2. A DVD Player cannot be connected to an external hard disk. If you need to play downloaded content, you have to transfer it to a DVD or to a flash drive and use that on the DVD player IF it has a USB slot. Some DVD players do read files on an external drive if the drive has it's own power.
3. Many DVD players will not play the new and popular format called 'MKV'.

If you want to keep a large number of downloaded files and use them regularly, you have to use a HTPC or a NMT such as Popcorn Hour, Xtreamer, DiVX etc. These costs around 20,000 (actually read as 10,000 after MadbullRam's posting) or so.

Pioneer makes decent DVD Players. Their 610 model is around 6K while their new model DV220 is around 4,500. Both have full upscaling to 1080P as well as USB drives for playing downloaded files.

Cheers

Last edited:
What you need is a Media Player like WD TV, Xtreamer or Pop Corn which will play any movie/audio from Hard Disk and aslo blu ray rips in 1080p. WD TV costs around 7k + hard disk Xtreamer 10k + hard disk.

read the media player sub forum.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back