Ideal Hindi Testing Materials for Stereo

You should look for songs you are familiar with. Most of the modern recordings are of good quality. Always carry CDs.

Jagjit Singh's Journey is a good 2 CD album with most of his famous songs. Most of the Safar albums (Kishore Kumar, Rajesh Khanna, Mukesh) are all good. Look for songs by Shankar Ehsann Loy as they use a lot of instruments and usually push the amp/speaker combination quite hard.

In non-filmi, I consider 'Breathless' by Shankar Mahadevan to be one of the best albums for testing.

Cheers

Folks,

Do try Lucky Ali's albums, Sifar, Sunoh. They contain rare instruments and sound very different to regular Hindi movies. I take them for auditions.

Cheers

My choices for audition in hindi:

1)Boondein by Mohit Chauhan, Dil chahta hai, Dil se:good in general

2)Jal :atif aslam: for soft rock
O meri Jaan: Metro:for soft rock

3)songs by kailash Kher & Suresh Wadkar(e.g. Lagi aaj savan ki fir woh jhadi from Chaandni) for male vocals and shreya goshal(includes jism) & old songs by Asha bhosale for female vocals. Roj roj aankhon taley from film Jeeva is my favourite.

4)Hum dil de chuke sanam for instrument handling. Ismail Darbar is known for heavy orchestra.

5)unplugged versions of various songs for acoustic guitar which is my favorite instrument.

ROCKON is also a good collection. Has some god testing stuff. I especially like the song Sindbad the sailor. It has a classic rock combo of lead guitars, base and drums. The timber in Farhan Akhtars voice also fits the bill to test the vocals.

Some original recordings (on ACD) I found best:

Indian Ocean - Kandisa
A R Rahman - Vande Mataram
A R Rahman - Roja (hard to find the original CD now, have been looking up on the net, some one knows where to source please let me know)

Another super recording (not hindi though) is Michael Jackson: Dangerous- awesome sound quality.

Pick anything from AR Rehman man .... Rehman studio recording quality is on a different level all together .......... Most of the people that have suggest have 80% rehman songs recommended, so you can see. Do a test pick any of the non rehman tracks, of any quality (Except Jagjit Singh) and pick any of Rehman's track and compare side by side, Rehman music recording quality would surpass every thing else easily, ofcourse you have to have a quality hardware to accompany it as well. Infact better the hardware greater the difference between his recording and any other......

@nindo
I have flacs for ROJA, interested ..??????

Last edited:
I know, I'm a decade late. But, here are a few songs.
Pyar Mein Dil pe Maar de goli (Mahaan) has nice stereo ricochet of bullet.
Mamaya Kairo from Arjun (I don't like the lyrics, but yes. Effects are there)
"Yeh Bambai shahar hadaso ka " from Haadsa
Someone mentioned Ramta Jogi from Taal, which is great, but "Beats of passion" has better effects.
Laila O laila from Qurbani has a nice pogo mix which travels left to right and back.

I hope, others start chiming in, too.

Many of my favorite covered... But, consider following as well...

1. Radha Kaise Na Jale - Lagaan
2. Bhim - Joel Veena - Instrumental Song
3. More Pichhwarva - Pt Chhannulal Mishra - Male Vocals
4. Moh Moh Ke Dhaage - Dum Laga Ke Haisha - Female Vocals

Hoshwalo ko khabar kya - entire song is excellent for testing all the parameters.
Radha kaise na jale - instruments in the initial 40 seconds
Bandeh by Indian Ocean - vocals
Pyar ke geet - for vocals and instruments
Koi kahe from Dil chahta hai - Bass
Sayonee by Junoon - the instruments in beginning and ending
Do naina aur ek kahani - mid and top range
Entire Saher

Don't worry mp3 will do fine. A correctly encoded mp3 is same as the original cd track. I bet no body can identify if it's a mp3 or not. just take the better recordings with you. It will do the job.
Hehe, that was a decade old question...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back