Idler wheel magic

Good explanations - at least the theories put forth - to explain why different drives sound the way they do. I am amazed at the experimentation people undertake to get better sound from their turntables.

I'm a bit worried about the idea.

Even a modest turntable must rotate at correct and consistent speed. How much of this achieved by inertia of a heavyweight platter, and how much by other means of control is in the hands of the designer. If he fails, his turntable is not worth buying, let alone modifying.

I'm a bit worried about the idea.

Even a modest turntable must rotate at correct and consistent speed. How much of this achieved by inertia of a heavyweight platter, and how much by other means of control is in the hands of the designer. If he fails, his turntable is not worth buying, let alone modifying.

Correct speed ? Yes. And most do, but that is at the macro level, at the level where it is measurable through a stroboscope. But at microscopic levels there are fluctuations and these are easily caught by the cartridge.

Stereophile's Art Dudley was a big fan of linn LP12 despite having a TD124. Last year he dramatically changed over to a Garrard 301 and has since sworn by it. Though he has not made such a big deal of idler drives the torque and speed stability he has highlighted this very point of view in his review of the Radikaal power supply of Linn, which he praises for its extremely rapid speed correction (whenever there are speed variations naturally caused by the stylus groove interaction). The idlers in the classic TTs seem to have achieved it more naturally with more powerful motors though beyond a point, the power of the motor will be wasted (as the platter has a limited mass) and will only produce vibrations. Hence (I imagine) the 401 and other great idlers had correctly a less powerful motor, but the 301's heavier motor lends it the greater mystique.

Maybe not entirely wasted Gerry the merry. Quite a few people have used power supplies that drive the motor at the desired speed enabling the magnetic brake to be disengaged completely but they've found that with the motor at lower revolutions they've lost the powerful garrardy sound.

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Correct speed ? Yes. And most do, but that is at the macro level, at the level where it is measurable through a stroboscope. But at microscopic levels there are fluctuations and these are easily caught by the cartridge.

Macro, mini or micro --- I'm sure you'd agree that correct speed is so absolutely fundamental to a turntable that it should just be ...right!

But yes, nothing is perfect, there are tolerances, and I suppose tweaking is to do with reducing those tolerances.

Macro, mini or micro --- I'm sure you'd agree that correct speed is so absolutely fundamental to a turntable that it should just be ...right!

But yes, nothing is perfect, there are tolerances, and I suppose tweaking is to do with reducing those tolerances.

Yes, it is one of the most important aspects to keep the speed steady at every level but believe it or not it is not easy and even the best TT in the world has some imperfection in this category that is audible on a high quality cartridge.

Everybody used to talk about wow and flutter. Now everybody talks about jitter.

The difference is that I never doubted that wow and flutter were real audio problems! :)

analogadikt, i think Vinyl Engine will confirm that the 301 has a 16 watt motor whereas the 401 was a 12 watt motor. TD-124/II I think has a 10 watter. You should find the L75 also there or JLS001 has one, and will surely know. I wonder if a company like Garrard would have downsized their motor instead of increasing it if more power would have meant better speed stability. Beyond a certain point, the law of diminishing returns would have taken over and 401's 12W would have been a better shot at finding the sweet spot between taming vibration and supplying adequate power.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back