Import of AV equipment

saikat

Hello,
Was doing some reading up on import of AV equipment. Just wanted to share/get some info.

For TV:
---------
Net = Cost - Free Allowance(25,000) if using baggage

Duty = A + B + C + D

A = Customs = 12.5% of Net
B = Surcharge = 10% of A
C = Excise () ; the site shows the same document as the customs!
D = Cess =3% of (A+B+C)

Customs Duty: http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0708/chap-85.pdf
Tariff Item = 8528 72 16

Free Allowance Baggage Rules:
column (2) of Appendix A- Baggage Rules: -25,000 for a single person (cannot be clubbed with another person)

BAGGAGE RULES

Regards,
Saikat

PS:
1) This is not complete. Some help would be appreciated.
2) Im sure I read a thread some time back on this. Just couldnt find it again.

hi

Good info.
Can we take a live example :
Suppose i order (not bring) a AMP for say 1000 US $.
How much net it wil cost me .. shipping is say 300 US$.

regards

The problem is that there is so much conflicting info on the Internet. But as far as I understand that the rules are separate if you are importing them as against bringing it back with you (from a trip).

There are some people saying that the cost of shipping is also included, whereas some say its just the cost of the equipment...:confused:

Ballpark seems around 40%. Could anyone shed more light please?

Ok, hope this helps

When carrying by hand (accompanied baggage) and having stayed abroad for more than 3 days, there is a Rs 25K limit after which the duty comes to roughly 42%. The duty is on the price that the customs office evalutes the product to be and they are not obligated to take your bill. Most of the time, they will but they can look up the price in their own catalog and take that price. Typically their prices will be retail, period.

When importing through courier/post, the duty remains the same but the duty is on the landed cost. Landed cost is Shipping cost + item price, so shipping is included. This again depends on the customs official, I have had cases where they have slapped 20% of the item cost as shipping cost, some cases no shipping has been considered and in some cases exact shipping price has been considered
:D hope the helps. In short, unpredictable

Many people try under-invoicing, it works if the dealer is wiling to do it, however if there is damage, you are on your own

cheers

Just to add some confusion, 1) what if the product is not available in India or 2) the exact model is not available.. :D

The price I mentioned in my first post has nothing to do with whether the product is available here or not. In fact, I assume its not available (but it does not matter). They have catalogs for everything, in fact they are linked to a world wide data base believe it or not. They may not have obscure products in there, but they do have a lot of the big names in there. They are also known to do internet searches. If they believe the product is an exotic one, they can even ask you to come to cargo division to clear it. If this happens, its a bloody pain in the rear

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back