Import of used AV equipments in 2019

frend2001

Hi FMs

Although there has been many discussion on the forum for this topic but due to everchanging regulations and scenarios I had to bring up a new thread.

I have been eyeing many equipments over foreign auction sites which are either not easily available in India or hard to come by in good condition.

I'm requesting FMs who have imported heavy and pricy equipments to share the time taken and precautions in placing such orders. Like likely customs, additional shipping charges etc.

I understand that importing something light and under 5k INR usually passes thru w/o attracting any customs but what about AVRs and amplifiers. What is the usual customs and charges lavied ? Is there any regulation regarding value of item being imported ?

I'm looking to buy from Japanese auction sites.

Such questions...

Please share your views and experiences.

Thanks n cheers

Used equipment is not allowed into the country. So getting such stuff is bit iffy. On a good day you might get away. On a bad day you’re dead.

Typically for big equipment, you will need a customs agent to clear it. Also you might be asked for a IEC code. Most shipping companies abroad will not pick up the consignment for India if they are not provided a IEC code. I have been through this.

If you are buying from Japan, usually they do not under invoice. Your duties and taxes will be approx 42%. In addition there will be the agent charges. Also if the brand you are getting doesn’t have a ISI approval, there’s a penalty. I have had to pay the penalty twice. Penalty is quite steep. Approx 20k

If it’s a small expensive piece, it’s best to fly abroad and get it. Nobody bothers at the airport customs

Hi...If you are looking at getting used equipment into india, best to lug it back. Never courier them. Customs duty of 42% is applicable on mrp. So it offsets the gain you've made by purchasing second hand abroad. If you can go abroad and carry it back, then it's okay . Otherwise it is a pain. Used equipment is prohibited, so you won't get it in that way. So you have to declare as new. And then pay 42% of the mrp.

I think used equipment are allowed for personal use. The duty I confirmed with a relative who's in central excise, yes its 42%.

Since I have already pulled the trigger let's see where things go.

Fingers crossed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back