Letz check -DIY pair of speakers in 6K

kaushik

I have seen many people here in HFV trying to go DIY route , finally ending up issues of unavailability of drivers .
Here are the main problems they face
-No quality driver available in INDIA
-Try dainty/written philips/boltons with possibly
ok kind of sound
-checks importing of drivers ,direct orders from speaker sites go 100$+ only on shipping, decides impossible to IMPORT finally goes for 2nds sale or new pairs

As a solution i want to point a way to get drivers imported
through shipping cos like aramex /borderlinx these are the reasons :
-Many drivers are on sale and freeshipping in US
much better drivers than local indian drivers start prices like 5$/8$(220/350Rs)
- shipping cos charge very low shipping upto 19Kg we paid 5-6k , for 1 set of 4 drivers it will be just 3K
-as cost is less customs will diminish to nil like 100Rs for 4 drivers
-No roaming in the market saving petrol and time, if you choose drivers carefully you will get satisfactory sound
saves trial -error expenditure
-shipping is 5days flat

I invite newbies to come forward and evaluate this route ..

FOR DIY begineers:
Goldwood GT-510 1" Soft Dome Tweeter
Goldwood GW-6028 6-1/2" Butyl Surround Woofer 8 Ohm
Rs1024x2 for Pair from PE >Parts-Express.com Goldwood Speakers, Replacement Speakers, Raw Drivers, Bass Speakers, Car Audio Parts, Car Stereo Parts, DIY Speakers, Horn Driver, Inwall Speakers, Speaker Boxes, Subwoofer Driver, Subwoofers, Woofer, Woofer Speaker, Tweeter

+ shipping and customs 2k=4K
+MDF ,XOVER =1.5K

or from ebayWOOFERS : MISSION MODEL 70 S 6 1/2" WOOFER 70 MKII - eBay (item 290493950735 end time Feb-26-11 11:14:33 PST)
AWESOME dual ring radiator TWEETERS:
Vifa 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeters 1pr NEW! L@@K!! - eBay (item 160547705341 end time Feb-24-11 10:17:45 PST)

so we can build DIY speaker 6K/ pair

Last edited:
as per as i know borderlinx login is very easy, u need to have a citibank card ..register online , immediately u will get a US address.

Do shopping in USA, u will see goods in account in borderlinx..they will be in wearhouse for 30days FREE!
any confusions ,u can chat ,they are very helpful.

the cost calculator on their site you can use to pre-calculate full cost

still scared ? God help u people

I want to make a DIY 3-way floor stander. My understanding of 3-way is, it needs to have atleast 3 drivers for low,mid and high frequency. (Correct me if I am wrong). I am going to use this floor stander with vintage sony amp which has 70w+70w RMS at 8ohms.

How should I select my woofer,mid and tweeter?

Is there any international site shipping to India without services like aramex/borderlinx? Does part-express send directly to India?

I want to make a DIY 3-way floor stander. My understanding of 3-way is, it needs to have atleast 3 drivers for low,mid and high frequency. (Correct me if I am wrong). I am going to use this floor stander with vintage sony amp which has 70w+70w RMS at 8ohms.

How should I select my woofer,mid and tweeter?

Is there any international site shipping to India without services like aramex/borderlinx? Does part-express send directly to India?
Parts express and many such sites will send to india. You just end up paying more with this route. aramex /borderlinx are cheaper. Kaushik may be able to tell you exactly how much cheap. This way you can target better quality drivers with the same total cost ;)

I dont have citibank credit card, hence wont be able to use borderlinx. aramex needs a one time setup fee of $35 for getting a shipping address at US.

However, services at i2cworld.com or vpostasia.com do not charge anything for providing an US address. Is it not beneficial than aramex/borderlinx? Do I miss something here? If I see any real benefit in choosing aramex, I dont mind paying $35.

I am really looking forward to order drivers from part-express and confused as to which service to use. (i.e., aramex/vpost)

try iccworldwide.com for purchasing on any site...the rates, i find are better and you dnt need to pay nething to register, even if you dnt have any credit card they will provide with Indian bank nos. whr you can depositcheque/cash...

hope now ur DIY project will kick off...all the best!

cheers!

Hi kaushik
glad to see you encouraging DIY speaker systems. I myself am considering making 2.5 way floorstanders. Have the Scanspeak drivers in mind.:licklips: Havent heard them but thought came up after reviews and personal experience of friends. A forum member will have his new speakers with SS drivers ready in 3 weeks time. Waiting to audition that before I take the plunge.:eek:hyeah:
Check out this kit from Madisound. https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8448
Have to do more research on it. Did you buy and make the one's you suggested on your opening post?
Regards.

SS drivers are an excellent choice and you wont regret it, though there is a hefty price tag associated with them. I built a 2 way stand mounted monitor with Scanspeak Classic drivers, and for the past ten years or so have been enjoying their sound. The 18W8545 is a super midbass, anmd so is the D2905 9300 tweeter. No doubt the Revelators will be even better, good luck with your build, and keep us posted.

woofers i gave link are example i have not bought . u need to decide based on your design. IT would be good if u can give estimates here for a set of BS designs .

Rather than what I have mentioned in my earlier posts(like building 3 way speakers), I modded one of my old philips speaker (FB 326), which was lying around.

It was originally having one mid-bass and tweeter, with no cross over. Though it was working it was sounding very weak. When I opened it, I found the cones to be weak both in mid-bass and tweeter. Though the speakers are philips, the drivers did not have any brand name imprinted or any other details for that matter. Only the speaker cabinet has Philips name in the front grill and has a sticker in the back of it, as '6 ohms' along with Philips logo and Model Number. There was no clips in the speakers, and it has just two wires to plug to the amplifier.

Objective - To convert these boxes into full-range one way speakers.

Got a pair of Peerless full range speakers from lamington road(Thanks to goldyrathore) with a frequency range of 200Hz to 20KHz, impedance of 8ohms and sensitivity of 89db. I carried the old driver to match the shape and size, so that I need not do any change in the cabinet. Also got a pair of speaker terminal cups (with clips).

Disconnected and retained the existing tweeter as dummy.
Made holes in the backside of the cabinet sufficient enough to fix terminal cups.
Soldered a pair of wire between newly bought terminal cups and full range drivers.
Fixed the new drivers and terminal cups in the cabinet.
Connected the same to my old Sony Amp and started listening favourite tracks.
Sound in these speakers are having better low frequency than before.
Right now I am loving the sound.

Thanks to all who encourage and gave tips.

About using Aramex: I did not waste the account created at Aramex. I bought a toy for my son from Amazon.com through Aramex.

About parts-express: I will keep this as an option, when I buy drivers for making the 3 way speakers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back