Importing makes sense?

ebirbal

Optoma and Vivitek have launched Full HD projectors selling for USD 999 on many online stores. I checked the price for Optoma HD20 in India and was quoted 1.3 lacs (includes free lamp)

So I was thinking why not import the same from US? This is how the math works out as per my calculations:

Cost: Rs 49000
Import duty: 12086 (Based on import duty data on infodriveindia updated July 7 July 2009)
Shipping: 4000 (estimated)

Total: Rs 65000

Compared to the loot being asked for in India, my personal opinion is its very well worth the risk to import it. Worst case case scenario, if something were to happen to it and I cannot get it repaired in India, I can order another one from US and its still works out the same as India.

Whats the opinion of the forum members?

Last edited:
Even I would buy the Projectors in Grey market , due to the high price difference , but the risk in transport and the customs are another issues i will consider before ordering on line. Check the pricing in the grey market before taking the Plunge.

The links in my original thread already point to a reputed site selling these. I believe projectorpeople.com is also selling the same and at same rates. These are brand new pieces just launched last week.

How about taking a look here? Even if you don't find the exact model you're looking for, you could send them the products link and they would add it to their inventory. This would save you the hassles of shipping and customs handling...

Re: Importing makes sense?http://www.hifivision.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=

Hi,
I just inquired today. The HD20 is being quoted for 1.04L after VAT. But still that is way over the 65k, if imported.

I have some queries too-
1) Does this projector scale to 1080p, if it does I would rather save 10k and opt for Denon 1710/Yam 465 instead of Denon 1910

2) What does ANSI contrast of 500:1 mean. I know that HD65 has a contrast of 4000. Are these different.

3) Also is it worth spending the extra 40k over HD65?

4) What is best bet if one wants to get it imported, or rather look in the grey market..

Thanks..

Last edited:
jayado8, let me try to answer your questions

1. Its indeed a Full HD projector - true 1080p native resolution
2. ANSI Contrast - let me google that for you - sorry cound'nt resist
3. This model might be replacing the HD65 - not very sure of this though so don't quote me on that
4. Gery market = evasion of taxes = bad
Legal Import + Pay taxes = cutting out the middle men who usually don't add much value for the price difference = no harm

HTH, sorry again for the lmgtfy link

eBirbal,
Thanks for the updates..
Regarding (1), I am aware of the native resolution of this model.What my actual query was, whether this model upscales 480p content to 1080p, but I found out the specs at projectorcentral and this model accepts a minimum of 720p, so would need a upscaling AVR.

Regarding (4), let me know what would be the import options? I had a look at Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands. Can you suggest any other options

PS: Thanks for lmgtfy link, you taught me a new trick

jayad08,

Apart from 20North.com or asking a friend/relative who might be coming form the US, you can also try a freight forwarding company.

These companies, basically recieve a package on your belalf in the US and forward it to most locations around the world.

The way it works is, once you register with them, they give you a unique shipping address, which looks like a genuine US street address. When you buy a product, you simply have your goods shipped to that address, and they in turn will ship it to your actual address. They can even consolidate multiple items and save some shipping costs.

Some of them even do personal shopping for you - you see, some online stores do not accept credit cards issued outside of the US, so what these companies do, is buy the product on their US issued credit card, on your behalf, have it shipped to their warehouse and then ship it to your actual address. Of course they charge a premium for such a service - usually 5%-10% of the purchased item. However, most online stores do accept Paypal or wire transfer, which is preferable as it is cheaper than the personal shopping charges.

MyUS.com, Bongous, neighborhoodparcel.com, MyUSPostOffice, International Parcel Services and UBox Worldwide are few such companies. You might also want to try Shine Cargo which is an Indian company.

Note that I haven't actually done any transactions with any of these companies yet.

HTH

Last edited:
Yes, importing definitely makes sense.

Well, I have just placed an order from Amazon and planning to get it through BorderLinx. I had a very good deal from Amazon - bought the HD65 for 645 USD and it came with a free Optoma GrayWolf II 106" screen.

According to BorderLinx cost calculator, it should cost me just over 41K INR. Sounds good? I had earlier contacted couple of Optoma dealers, one in Chennai and one in Bangalore and both quoted about 70K for HD65 (with free spare lamp) and some reasonable warranty terms. Before coming across this offer from Amazon and BorderLinx, I had planned to buy it directly from Amazon or 20North, which would have cost me around 46K for the projector alone. In that case, the offers from Indian dealers made sense because the spare lamp would cost me anywhere from 10-15K.

Anyhow, now my projector + screen is on their way :yahoo:

Oh, by the way, I have purchased items (though of smaller value) from 20north.com and am pleased with their service.

Yes, importing definitely makes sense.

Well, I have just placed an order from Amazon and planning to get it through BorderLinx. I had a very good deal from Amazon - bought the HD65 for 645 USD and it came with a free Optoma GrayWolf II 106" screen.

According to BorderLinx cost calculator, it should cost me just over 41K INR. Sounds good? I had earlier contacted couple of Optoma dealers, one in Chennai and one in Bangalore and both quoted about 70K for HD65 (with free spare lamp) and some reasonable warranty terms. Before coming across this offer from Amazon and BorderLinx, I had planned to buy it directly from Amazon or 20North, which would have cost me around 46K for the projector alone. In that case, the offers from Indian dealers made sense because the spare lamp would cost me anywhere from 10-15K.

Anyhow, now my projector + screen is on their way :yahoo:

Oh, by the way, I have purchased items (though of smaller value) from 20north.com and am pleased with their service.

that is great..u got a really good deal..
i have a doubt.. how do these companies take care of the customs part?
do they include it in the charges.. or is there a forwarding agent in india, who deals with customs and then sends you the stuff..
also did you talk to the customer support for any such clarification?

So, finally I got the stuff. After some hiccups with DHL, I finally received the screen, almost a week after the projector though both were shipped together. The delays were mainly on the shipment agency's side and the reason they gave me was the heavy flow of shipments during the festival season. Anyhow, I received the goods in good shape and note that I didn't have to pay any extra charges because I had already paid the customs + VAT through BorderLinx.

The calculator they have on their site is pretty close to the final charges. Only that you have to make sure you enter the right product category and weight/dimensions.

So, finally I got the stuff. After some hiccups with DHL, I finally received the screen, almost a week after the projector though both were shipped together. The delays were mainly on the shipment agency's side and the reason they gave me was the heavy flow of shipments during the festival season. Anyhow, I received the goods in good shape and note that I didn't have to pay any extra charges because I had already paid the customs + VAT through BorderLinx.

The calculator they have on their site is pretty close to the final charges. Only that you have to make sure you enter the right product category and weight/dimensions.

great prakash..
congrats on this purchase.. so the doubts on the customs part is really quite clear now..
i think this is the one of the best ways of getting something from the US then..
just taking an example for the folks who visit this thread
The Mits 3800 projector that I am interested in:
quote from 20North = 102000
quote from BorderLinx = 74000

only glitch that borderlinx requires a Citibank Credit/Debit card for you to make the purchase on their site..

great prakash..
congrats on this purchase.. so the doubts on the customs part is really quite clear now..
i think this is the one of the best ways of getting something from the US then..
just taking an example for the folks who visit this thread
The Mits 3800 projector that I am interested in:
quote from 20North = 102000
quote from BorderLinx = 74000

only glitch that borderlinx requires a Citibank Credit/Debit card for you to make the purchase on their site..

Thanks. I just checked their calculator for HC3800 and assuming you are buying from Amazon for 1306 USD, the final amount will be approximately 78K INR. You have to use the category 'Electronics, Video Cameras, TV' to get the correct estimate. One of the problems with 20north is, their listed price includes a percentage of their profit, on which they apply the customs.

Thanks. I just checked their calculator for HC3800 and assuming you are buying from Amazon for 1306 USD, the final amount will be approximately 78K INR. You have to use the category 'Electronics, Video Cameras, TV' to get the correct estimate. One of the problems with 20north is, their listed price includes a percentage of their profit, on which they apply the customs.

well right now newegg/provantage has the best price of the lot..around $1230
but now i cant look that way, i m already in the process of procuring it from singapore..
but from now i would be looking to 20north only when i cannot find any other options..
also i think it is time to get a citibank credit card..:eek:hyeah:

Are projectors prices in Singapore comparable to those in the US? I initially thought of Singapore since a friend of mine is on coming back from SG. I thought I could save on shipping and bit of the customs duty. But then I looked at the prices in the Singapore market (esp. for optoma, panosonic and Mits) and they seemed to be more expensive.

I think 20north makes sense for one-off (esp. smaller) purchases because BorderLinx apply a minimum shipping of 25$ regardless of the package size, I guess.

Are projectors prices in Singapore comparable to those in the US? I initially thought of Singapore since a friend of mine is on coming back from SG. I thought I could save on shipping and bit of the customs duty. But then I looked at the prices in the Singapore market (esp. for optoma, panosonic and Mits) and they seemed to be more expensive.

I think 20north makes sense for one-off (esp. smaller) purchases because BorderLinx apply a minimum shipping of 25$ regardless of the package size, I guess.

the prices in singapore can be steep, but it is like any other indian AV market, if you negotiate well you can get 10-15% off easily.. although that wont match the US market..
In my case for this prj, I had to get the unit verified from the company, as there are some problem that are reported for this.. so i opted for singapore..

Who takes care of the customs???

thats the same question that i asked prakash a while back.. and now he has confirmed that the cost calculator on the borderlinx site includes it all..you have to select the correct category..
it is all clubbed into one category called import tax which varies from 5-13%
so the total that you get is quite close to what you end paying up..

I am myself planning to buy a PJ, my parents are visiting singapore at the end of the month, at the moment i am trying to find couple of shops from where i can get the best pricing and discount on Opotma HD 65 PJ,

I will check out borderline too and do some reading on the same.

If anyone knows any good shops in singapore for pricing of optoma do pass the details along.

Thanks

Back