Importing Turntable

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Guys,

I don't know anything about tt, but I am very keen in getting into it.

Could you please advise how I can import tt ? I see lots of people saying they have imported tt from germany, but how to go about it ? where to start.

My budget is around 80 K. Is it possible to get a good quality tt for that price ?

I also don't know what are all the other things I should buy along with tt.

I currently have Harman Kardon AVR460 and polk tsi 400 speakers. Would this amp and speakers suit tt ? or do I need to change them ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunder.

Hi Sunder,

Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl.

Fellow member Asit had bought a turntable from Germany and could be a very good guide for you. He is a very friendly and approachable person. If you can enlist his help nothing could better. He had started a thread on his new Scheu Cello turntable in the Phono/Turntables section. Going through it and other threads in that forum as well will initiate you into the intricacies of record playing. There are also threads by entsurgeon and others on how to buy records,, new as well as used ones.

You will need a phono stage or a pre amplifier with inputs to boost the low voltage from moving magnet or moving coil magnetic cartriges installed in your turntable sufficiently to be able to enable your amplifier (AVR) to amplify the signals from your record and cartridge.

Happy hunting and happy listening.

Last edited:
I have imported NOS Micro Seiki TT from US.It took 15 days to reach here.I had paid Rs 1500 Custom duty.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sunderpalanivel,

I can say that the Scheu Cello is a real value for money. Member miroflex just PM'ed me about your need. I am really tied up the whole day today, but please go through my thread on that TT, and whatever questions or help you need, I can try to come with some answers as best as I know. There are many TT-lovers in this forum, and they know much more than me. They will help you too. There are other TTs in the Scheu lineup. We can discuss about your amp and speakers later.

Regards.

Thanks so much all for taking time to reply me.

Dr.Bass, if I want to import Scheu, approximately how much would it cost ? is there any duty / import tax ?.

Yeah I need more of plug and play but high performance !

Wow!! Just the thread I am looking for, have some plans of my own to get down to importing an EMT 938 or Garrard 301 or Garrard 401 or Technics SP25. May end up going for the Technics SP25 after all as I know I can't go wrong with a Technics Direct Drive. Know nothing about importing as most of my stuff bought abroad was hand-carried down to India. Do we have a thread on the import procedures from USA, UK, Germany, etc? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sunderpalanivel,

I can say that the Scheu Cello is a real value for money. Member miroflex just PM'ed me about your need. I am really tied up the whole day today, but please go through my thread on that TT, and whatever questions or help you need, I can try to come with some answers as best as I know. There are many TT-lovers in this forum, and they know much more than me. They will help you too. There are other TTs in the Scheu lineup. We can discuss about your amp and speakers later.

Regards.

Guten morgen Herr Professor,

Danke schon for responding so promptly to my plea for guidance, help and advice on Sunderpalanivel's behalf despite your very busy schedule. Muchas gracias.

I felt that your thread on the Scheu Cello as well as your personal experience reflected in your posts would immensely benefit many of us. My own budget as well as the quality of my vinyl collection does not stretch so far at present but who knows what the future will bring. Hope springs eternal in the breast of man. I might have sprung for the Michell Gyro if I had not been anticipated.

Warmest regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back