Improving AM/FM Reception at Home and Introduction

Hi...
I am having T505 sansui tuner.it's having a problem with drifting radio tuning... Means where U have 101 Mhz now it won't be there after a while it comes down to some where to 98....and keep coming down as time passes..
Any suggestions on how to get rid of this problem...

Hi...
I am having T505 sansui tuner.it's having a problem with drifting radio tuning... Means where U have 101 Mhz now it won't be there after a while it comes down to some where to 98....and keep coming down as time passes..
Any suggestions on how to get rid of this problem...

I think I know you :)

Guys,

I need your attention to my problem too. i have yamaha rxa-2000 avr and it only played 'odd numbered' FM channels. No matter how hard i tune it, only odd channels play....

Is there a way out?

Thanks in advance.

Guys,

I need your attention to my problem too. i have yamaha rxa-2000 avr and it only played 'odd numbered' FM channels. No matter how hard i tune it, only odd channels play....

Is there a way out?

Thanks in advance.

Was that bought from America?

Many many thanks to Dragonxwas for starting the thread and theironhorse for his detailed reply. I was able to figure out the fm antenna and installed a T diapole on our roof today. Had to refer to few videos and google a bit. The result is a big smile from Dad. Vividbharati is crystal clear now thru FM 103.25 Mhz in Bapatla, AP. Earlier it was so muddled and noisy. Now planning to do a AM outdoor also. Gave me some confidence now, thanks once again to all. Btw I have two tuners and an old Marantz AV Pre processor cum tuner. Surprisingly the Marantz is much better in the SQ as the sound signature is typical Marantz. However the dedicated tuners Onkyo T401 and Denon TU 260 are better in reception. Between the two while the Denon sounds better the Onkyo's reception is better. Will keep posted, see you.

Last edited:
Car radios sound pretty neat and clean because they are placed in open air, far away from any local interference like TV, Digital set top box, phone chargers, laptop chargers, electrical tube lights, CFLs etc.
Secondly, car radios receive power supply from car battery which is "pure DC".

Let me give you an example. In Central India in Nasik District my mother uses a small Philips RL118N radio. The radio works on "internal DC charged battery" or AA cell or AC electric supply. When we tune that small radio on internal DC battery and place it near a window that is open, I can clearly receive Akashvani Najibabad from North India on the MW band, extreme clear sound. Distance may be some 1400 km?
This indicates that power source matters a lot in radio reception, then placement of radio far away from interference sources and having a good aerial.
For FM you can try folded diapole antenna outside. For AM you can have a loop aerial or a very long wire attached that goes up above the building or house terrace.

well said!!

Car radios sound pretty neat and clean because they are placed in open air, far away from any local interference like TV, Digital set top box, phone chargers, laptop chargers, electrical tube lights, CFLs etc.
Secondly, car radios receive power supply from car battery which is "pure DC".

Let me give you an example. In Central India in Nasik District my mother uses a small Philips RL118N radio. The radio works on "internal DC charged battery" or AA cell or AC electric supply. When we tune that small radio on internal DC battery and place it near a window that is open, I can clearly receive Akashvani Najibabad from North India on the MW band, extreme clear sound. Distance may be some 1400 km?
This indicates that power source matters a lot in radio reception, then placement of radio far away from interference sources and having a good aerial.
For FM you can try folded diapole antenna outside. For AM you can have a loop aerial or a very long wire attached that goes up above the building or house terrace.

Are there any Indian Radio Channels are still broadcated on Short Wave Bands? We miss so many classic programmes like Jai Mala, Aap ke farmayish, Bhule Bisre Geet and other few in Vividh Bharti - Tamilnadu Region. Why they cancelled these much liked and the most favourite programmes? Instead, AIR broadcasting mostly awkward telephonic talk programmes all the times every day. We can not hear even a single programme with Hindi classical film songs. Any SW channel is available for Hindi old film songs? If so, on which frequency? Please let us know.
Thank you,
Regards,
Sundar.

Are there any Indian Radio Channels are still broadcated on Short Wave Bands? We miss so many classic programmes like Jai Mala, Aap ke farmayish, Bhule Bisre Geet and other few in Vividh Bharti - Tamilnadu Region. Why they cancelled these much liked and the most favourite programmes? Instead, AIR broadcasting mostly awkward telephonic talk programmes all the times every day. We can not hear even a single programme with Hindi classical film songs. Any SW channel is available for Hindi old film songs? If so, on which frequency? Please let us know.
Thank you,
Regards,
Sundar.

Not sure if this was posted before, but you can get DD settop box
and dish (no monthly charges) and it comes with some very good
AIR channels from multiple regions.

I have made an observation,
Its that every car radio I hear, It recieves AM radio signals very cleanly, whereas most of the home audio radios have hum/rf noise,

Hi Dragonxwas,

What I understand from your post that home radio picks up RF noise when listening to MW band. Well I too faced the difficulty while tuning to MW stations. The RF interference was intermediate the receiver /table top radio would produce a motor boat sound while listening or tuning to MW station. I tried moving the loop antenna to improve the reception signal but in vain...

But I had no issues with FM reception. To assess the problem I switched off all the electrical and electronic devices in the house and the culprit was the ceiling fan in the adjoining bed room. After I switched off the ceiling fan the MW reception was clear. I called in the electrician to check the fan and got it fixed by replacing the defective motor capacitor (that was causing the RF interference) and my problem solved.

I hope this helps! :)

Not only antenna, the car radio runs on pure DC supply, while other radios inside the home may work on AC power supply with a rectifier inside.

I have a Philips RL118 radio in Nasik Maharashtra. It has a rechargeable battery inside the radio. If we charge it full, and the radio is placed in a highrise apartment window, then I can receive MW AIR Najibabad in Nasik Maharashtra. That talks how a great pure DC supply can aid MW reception.

Philips India made great radio sets and still makes some great radios. Just that they have stopped making good tabletops and stopped giving Bandspreaded SW bands. I hope the Prime Minister's 'Mann ki Baat' gives a boost to the radio industry. Some retailers have started telling that their radio sales have increased in last 1 year due to 'Mann ki Baat' and lot of FM radio stations coming up.

These days the inside of the home is the root cause of RF interference.

The culprit is the antenna and not the receiver.

An antenna in the house is obstructed by the walls and a host of other items within the house. On the contrary, a car's antenna is usually free and has no obstructions. As you are travelling, you will notice that the signal in the car also waxes and wanes. Whenever the car's antenna comes across any obstruction between itself and the radio signal, it will not be able to provide a clean signal to the receiver.

The only way to resolve the issue is to mount an antenna on your roof with clear unobstructed view, and carry the cable all the way to your receiver.

Cheers

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back