Indian build audiophile speakers

No that's not a dual cone. It's to remove the shout. Technically a dual cone is what Tannoy makes

What you see is a dual cone. A second cone attached at the voice coil to improve HF. A VERY old method to make a speaker full range. The metal plug you see is to control the response at HF.

Tannoys are Dual concentric drivers. TWO independent drivers on the same axis. It uses a crossover too. The tweeter is a compression driver mounted behind the speaker and exiting through the front center of the bass driver through a small horn. In some speakers the horn continues outward and you see a large horn. In the Tannoy the woofer cone acts as the extension to the central small stub of a horn.

Last edited:
From my knowledge they used Lowther drivers at initial stages now they using special customized driver from peerless India only for Rythem correct me if I am wrong

You are wrong

No the Rethm drivers are completely made in India. They are made by Peerless

Am sorry to say but you too are wrong !

This is the Actual manufacturer,Straight from horses mouth (in this case Jacob George's )

And no, my supplier is neither Peerless India nor Tangband in China since my numbers for them would be far too limited. Besides, development work across international border takes forever. We had to go back and forth with prototypes far too often. I would listen to one, send it back, they would make changes, return it and so forth. Milind Patel was head of R&D at Peerless but quit about a year ago. With a financial partner he launched his own company Hermit Audio. He does the drivers for us

If one wants,he/she can read the info on 6Moons

Coming to the topic of Made In India,Although there was big hue and cry bout it in another thread where a speaker touted as "Made in India" was discussed and nothing much came out of it,So don't want this thread to go in that direction.

But will only say that what @Fantastic says is partially true and partially not,Also he has clarified properly as to what is a dual cone and what is dual concentric driver,So I won't bother to........

The partially not part is, There are some very good drivers made in India but unfortunately they(manufacturer and their products) are not recognised nor are they appreciated.

In this very forum there was a member called soundsgreat who did DIY drivers and made some phenomenal speakers with those drivers,most of the members have heard the stuff and some do own the stuff he made,Perhaps they can pitch in more about the sound and such,but suffice to say that it's 100% possible to have a True "Made in India" Speaker.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:
hi soundcraft

They used to get it done by Milind. But that company has shut down and now Peerless does it. Saadhana V1 and V2 use Lowthers. First lot of V3 uses drivers made by Milind. The second lot uses the Peerless one. Mine is the Peerless ones. I have also owned the V1 and the V2 and the Rethm Second before that which used a 8 inch Lowther.

I guess I would probably know a little more about the Rethm history since have been using their products for over 7 years:)

Last edited:
hi soundcraft

They used to get it done by Milind. But that company has shut down and now Peerless does it. Saadhana V1 and V2 use Lowthers. First lot of V3 uses drivers made by Milind. The second lot uses the Peerless one. Mine is the Peerless ones. I have also owned the V1 and the V2 and the Rethm Second before that which used a 8 inch Lowther

Hmm interesting,I was wondering as to why suddenly he's underground (not in literal sense) and the website down !

I guess I would probably know a little more about the Rethm history since have been using their products for over 7 years

But off course,you are "The Man" the Rethm man that is ;). Well I have not been in touch with the latest happenings ,hence missed this one. Otherwise even in the Dave's post in the other forum he's mentions hearing a version at your place with Milind's drivers !

Anyways I stand corrected !!

Last edited:
around 2 months back i heard a nice pair of Nibbana audio speakers ( with scanspeak drivers ) and a nice Sonus Faber like build but with desi price.

Its not on their website yet but the sound was very good.

remember to pair with a nice amplifier too .

regards

Hi Soundcraft

Technically maybe you can call them Milinds drivers since he designed them:)Peerless hasn't redesigned anything. They make the drivers as per the original design of Milind. Rumor is that Milind is back with Peerless

Have heard much about soundsgreat. Sadly he doesn't contribute any more. Wish he would and let others learn from him

In this very forum there was a member called soundsgreat who did DIY drivers and made some phenomenal speakers with those drivers,most of the members have heard the stuff and some do own the stuff he made,Perhaps they can pitch in more about the sound and such,but suffice to say that it's 100% possible to have a True "Made in India" Speaker.

Yes, SoundCraft, if you're in touch with Soundsgreat you should encourage him to re-participate here.

<End of OT>

If I can get my hands on new verson of radius 90 I will most definitely will buy it.As for Indian speakers the speakers here which are discussed probably cost lakhs.I should be more careful of using the word audiophile next time

Last edited by a moderator:
I should be more careful of using the word audiophile next time

Understand that quality comes at a price.

One option is to try to take the pre-owned route.

It is possible to get good sound if the chain is good and your speaker positioning is optimal.

Rethm - are costly but they are very high quality stuff.

The Nibbana i mentioned are under a lakh but your amp will need to be suitably good.

IMO - in a budget of 2.5 lac once can build a very good rig (part by part )
by going the pre-owned route. This will take time but can happen in the medium term if one has the inclination and the funds.

But its all about the satisfaction and not even the money spent. So you must do what satisfies you at that point in time given the resources at hand.

Auditions - make you decide what flavor of sound you like so that cannot be skimped on.

But what would make you consider a radius 90 ?

I am perplexed.

anyways.. wish you luck !

regards

There were Trishnas available on hifiads some time back and a couple of Cadence speakers both on the forum and on hifiads

Understand that quality comes at a price.

One option is to try to take the pre-owned route.

It is possible to get good sound if the chain is good and your speaker positioning is optimal.

Rethm - are costly but they are very high quality stuff.

The Nibbana i mentioned are under a lakh but your amp will need to be suitably good.

IMO - in a budget of 2.5 lac once can build a very good rig (part by part )
by going the pre-owned route. This will take time but can happen in the medium term if one has the inclination and the funds.

But its all about the satisfaction and not even the money spent. So you must do what satisfies you at that point in time given the resources at hand.

Auditions - make you decide what flavor of sound you like so that cannot be skimped on.

But what would make you consider a radius 90 ?

I am perplexed.

anyways.. wish you luck !

regards

I own the radius r90 and and really like the size to performance ratio I heard the newer version is better.I only got into HiFi audio recently and obviously still has a long way to go,will check the nibbana thanks for the info.I will only buy after a long audition so that I don't regret buying them.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back