Indian Movies on Blu-ray

Language is a lost art... Not just limited to English. Most young people don't know their mother tongue i.e. to read and write, even though they can speak it.

The main culprit I see is in the decline of the wonderful habit of reading books. No one seems to read books or even e-books these days. I hardly come across any youngsters who know or have heard of The Famous Five, The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc. If they've not heard (rather read) them then you can forget about others like Sheldon, Ludlum, Archer, Cussler, Uris, Steel, Christie, Cartland, L'Amour, King, Grisham, Brown... ah well the list can go on. The only good thing is at least Harry Potter is read!

Yes, very rightly said. Now in schools library section has the lowest priority.
Tell me one thing, now how many parents do look for a good library when they admit their child. Mostly they look for good buildings and nice features.
But while looking for all these they miss out a good library.

This is my personal opinion.

Yes, very rightly said. Now in schools library section has the lowest priority.
Tell me one thing, now how many parents do look for a good library when they admit their child. Mostly they look for good buildings and nice features.
But while looking for all these they miss out a good library.

This is my personal opinion.

I know we are going a bit off topic but I am intrigued if these people converse the same way or even write it at work/college.

Like Moserw, Venkat have also mentioned, reading is definitely a lost art, and part of the blame is due to the net.

...ok now back to the topic of this tread.

I still dont see the value of SDM being on blu-ray - its not meant for such a release given the dark and very quickly transforming scenes and what not.

hahahah. well guys i am surprisingly he editor of my college magazine. i use such abbreviations since dese only fit well on net. people understand dem quite well dunno y u guys didnt pick it up. i can write english a very hard and conventional way but i dun do that on net esp in forums and social networks

If I were the editor of any magazine, I would take my grammar, spelling, capitalization, and the use of punctuation very seriously. And, I would use my position to teach people how to use the language properly.

If you expect people like Moser, Mars and, me to understand and appreciate a bastardized version of English, you are barking up the wrong tree. And you want us to 'pick it up' as you say? My God, I would rather junk such language, than try to understand it at all. Remember one thing, unless you are on a constant path to speak, write and use a language well, you are on a perpetual downward slide as far as communication goes. Just because a set of people understand or use what I know is incorrect, does not make it correct. You will become a set of people who are never understood by others and most probably frustrated as well, in addition to being alienated in serious social gatherings. In my professional life I have seen many such persons lose their jobs as they cannot switch between being downright silly and being serious in life.

Writing in a conventional way is not hard. It borders on being poetic.

I have been using English for over 50 years, and I am yet struggling with comma splice, if you understand what I mean. And you expect me to take the time and effort to understand a mispronounced, misspelled and misshapen sentence? No, Thank you very much. I have better things to do in life.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow! Which college is that?

hahahah. well guys i am surprisingly he editor of my college magazine. i use such abbreviations since dese only fit well on net. people understand dem quite well dunno y u guys didnt pick it up. i can write english a very hard and conventional way but i dun do that on net esp in forums and social networks

Peeru1, you are "surprisingly" (t)he editor of your college magazine? Well,
I can very well understand. Even we are by your college's choice.

To put it in the language of this Forum, your writing is in MP3 format (at less
than 16 kbps encoding) while the audiophiles here use pure wav format. Got it? Switch back to wav format. It sounds beautiful even if the song (what
you are trying to say) is not well composed or wrongly presented.

Coming back to your claim, the file you uploaded is nothing but an upmixed version of a standard definition DVD. Lot of movies are availale in that format
on discs at just Rs. 125.

By the way, PS3 Video 9 can do this (upmixing) and its free.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Peeru,. you just showed your upbringing and your insecurity in accepting the right views.
We are much better off without you.

Hear me here, loud and clear, doesnt matter what you do or what you say.. but unless you are less insecure and more open about your shortcomings, I see doom coming your path.

I know for sure that you will be kicked out of this forum, but wherever you go and whatever you do, be polite. It will take you a long way ahead.

Havent you heard of " Have no ego when confronted with a higher intellect?"
People in the forum- venkat,mars,moser, shail have taken the trouble to speak sense to you... That you must consider as your greatest gift from this forum.

" Days of good english have went!!":lol::yahoo::clapping:

Guy In college you have learnt a lot of things!!!

I was asking what type of equipment you are using - and you conveniently ignored the question.

Now I am sure that you have not seen Blue ray in full HD 1080 P glory!!! ( Please first understand a bit of technology!)

In fact please check sometimes an orignal DVD upscaled on a good full HD TV!!!

Anyone more than your laungauge your attitude sucks man!!

As Socrates said "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.":yahoo: now you may not be knowing who this dude is!!!

I pity on your petty thinking process!!!

--------------------

The modesty's a candle to thy merit.
Henry Fielding

Please note - Above staement and paragraphs are in English!!!:mad::sad:

Although I come from vernaculor background and my english ( and spellings) are bad I still love and respect the langauge!!!Anyway your english ( or smlr lngug) lowered the bar and I find my laungauge far better!!!

Looks as if our good friend the Moderator has removed all of Peeru's postings. Good riddance, and thanks Moderator.

Coming back to the subject, I visited a local book shop called Odyssey today. They are rearranging the displays and giving a lot pf prominence to Blu-Ray discs. From the days when BR discs would be kept in locked cabinets, they are being openly displayed now with large banners proclaiming 'Must Watch!!"

I was really surprised. Have people really started buying BR discs at those 1500 or so a piece?

Cheers

I know we are going a bit off topic but I am intrigued if these people converse the same way or even write it at work/college.

Like Moserw, Venkat have also mentioned, reading is definitely a lost art, and part of the blame is due to the net.

...ok now back to the topic of this tread.

I still dont see the value of SDM being on blu-ray - its not meant for such a release given the dark and very quickly transforming scenes and what not.

This is yet another small snippet I missed because I did not go deep into this thread looking at the topic. But then every topic is open to diversions as well:).

Expressing oneself adequately in such a way as to make yourself understood clearly by others is communication. Chopping words, punctuation and random alphabets means there is a compromise on the communication.

I guess we are also looking at a generational divide here. Although I am not too old myself I value language and its expression very much. Having friends either side of my age (in decades) is useful and insightful. One side gets a headache reading these messages. The other side gleefully does it even more just to see others break their head and mutter with indignation. I guess many youngsters' I have come across simply have this logic - if I can limit my effort and still make myself understood then why do I have to strain myself? This is the age of economization. But that need not come at the expense of communication - that is my opinion.

I would not target Peeru on this. There are many out there with similar views. But for the editor of a college magazine, I would say the language used was - well, most unusual:)

And marsilians apart from internet, the major culprit (in fact I would call this a greater culprit than the internet and chat) is SMS. I have forgotten the days when I used to get messages with the word 'that' actually spelled as T H A T. For a long time now, it is just 'tat'. 'What' is 'wat'. And so on. The mind boggles.

Sorry for the diversion from the thread.

Where can i find which all movies are available on blue ray in india and where can i buy them,
can you indicate this

thanks team

This is yet another small snippet I missed because I did not go deep into this thread looking at the topic. But then every topic is open to diversions as well:).

Expressing oneself adequately in such a way as to make yourself understood clearly by others is communication. Chopping words, punctuation and random alphabets means there is a compromise on the communication.

Like "Can we discuss Blu movies on Ray ..? for example :licklips:

Cheers

Whoaa, just read the reviews of Saawariya at Blu-ray.com and they seem to have bowled over by the video rendering. The review says,
Nothing but your own eyes and a properly calibrated display can adequately convey how rich and lifelike this transfer is. Simply put, this disc is as good or better than any other Blu-ray I've seen, bar none. If you are looking for a strictly reference quality disc, this one is it (so far).

Unbelievable,
And if this is true then I hope that they'll make a good work of Sholay or some classics like that too. Currently I don't know if there is any bollywood movie in Blu-Ray worth collecting. Will be following this thread closely.

Whoaa, just read the reviews of Saawariya at Blu-ray.com and they seem to have bowled over by the video rendering. The review says,

Unbelievable,
And if this is true then I hope that they'll make a good work of Sholay or some classics like that too. Currently I don't know if there is any bollywood movie in Blu-Ray worth collecting. Will be following this thread closely.

Have you checked the Yashraj films release, everything seems to be around 600Rs.

There seems to be a slew of tamil films being released in BD's. One recent being Kandaswamy. Hopefully other language Industries catch up.

Have you checked the Yashraj films release, everything seems to be around 600Rs.
Nope dude, not planning to buy any Hindi Movie on BluRay, doesn't worth it. DVD's will do the job. Will save my money for some other visually spectacular movies (say POTC, LOTR, Matrix etc) in Blu-Ray;). If Sholay comes in Blu-Ray I'll definitely buy that one. But ofcourse will rent them once available.
Hmmm just thinking, probably I'll get DCH and RDB too. Liked those movies a lot but anyway have the DVD's.

There seems to be a slew of tamil films being released in BD's. One recent being Kandaswamy. Hopefully other language Industries catch up.

I bought Silsila BD for Rs. 599/- and am totally disappointed with the quality. Its presented in 4:3 format and looks around 29" on the big screen LCD and around 21" on the medium size LCD. Audio is supposed to be DTS HD MA, but sounds nothing better than the Rs. 99 DVD they released earlier. Its a total fraud. on the consumer.

One is better off listening to the songs on a CD since the rich stereo recording was far better (I bought this disc only for the songs).

Anyway, I am expecting them to release a songs DVD containing songs from all these old movies like Silsila, Kabhi Kabhie etc.

Warm Regds / Shailender

I purchased Kabhi Kabhi and Rock On on Blu-ray.

Kabhi Kabhi
  • The video is better than the DVD. They did capture it again from film. It is not an upscaled DVD. Not great, but acceptable quality.
  • The video format is 4:3, which is fine as the original movie was in that format. I would not want them to crop the top and bottom to make it 16:9. I have big enough display screens not to bother me. People who want, can zoom in for themselves, instead of we loosing out a part of the picture for ever.
  • The audio was a bit disappointing. We have DTS-HD Master Audio, so it is audibly less compressed and less fatiguing than the DVD, but it does not sound as crisp and clear as the LPs and cassette tapes (yes!) issued when the movie was released. Even the HMV CDs issued later sound pretty dull, so this Blu-ray still has the best digital version of the audio.

Rock On
  • The video on the Rock On disc is widescreen 1080P. It is as crisp as Blu-ray discs come (I have 25+ in English mostly, bought from US). The colors are over saturated. We know that most of the movie has been shot indoors with a strong warm hue, so that remains here too. Good enough, but not great.
  • The audio is a pleasant surprise. We have DT-HD MA as well as uncompressed multi-channel PCM. On this disk, I seemed to prefer the latter, but the difference is subtle. The audio is crisp, clear and unfatiguing. I found both the DVD and the audio CD for this movie to be very brittle and highly fatiguing. The Blu-ray sounds nice and effortless. The cymbals and bells sound realistic and sweet, especially in the last song on stage. Much better than what I expected from Reliance.

I buy Blu-ray discs at the Landmark in Bangalore. I am enjoying the fact that Blu-ray discs have finally come out of the small glass covered closet to the open shelf. We have one shelf full of English movies, and another one for Hindi Blu-ray discs and YRF DVDs dressed up in red colored Blu-ray boxes. Read before you buy.

Have fun.

Regards,
Sharad

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back