Infrared control Kits

is it possible to control IR based equipments hidden behind a cabinet or placed far?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Dont know how and would like to know

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vinshek

Hi folks,

You must have come across manysites wherein you need to control IR based equipments either hidden behind the wooden cabinet or placed far away from the room. Now we got solution through which we can control any IR based equipment placed anywhere behind or far away.

In case, any one needs info on this.. do let me know.

Rgds, Vineet

Hi folks,

You must have come across manysites wherein you need to control IR based equipments either hidden behind the wooden cabinet or placed far away from the room. Now we got solution through which we can control any IR based equipment placed anywhere behind or far away.

In case, any one needs info on this.. do let me know.

Rgds, Vineet

AFAIK putting a small mirror angled correctly on the wall does wonders.
Why do we need another solution? :)

Cheers

:)

how about controlling equipments placed in a closed wooden cabinets.. Architects loves to do hide the equipments..

How about controlling equipments placed in the next room or far away..

Mirrors wont work.

Unless the solution you are offering is top secret or 'Patent pending', why don't you just publish the information for all to see? This is after all a public forum.

Cheers

:)

how about controlling equipments placed in a closed wooden cabinets.. Architects loves to do hide the equipments..

How about controlling equipments placed in the next room or far away..

Mirrors wont work.

Is there any easy solution? Hey, then you should have posted it three days back. I have ordered an IR to RF converter transmitter and receiver from Trek through amazon. It costs only 31.5USD (US Shipping). This is the only cheapest solution I could find. I hope I can control the WDLive mediaplayer and BigTV stb from my bedroom (a small lcd screen or a TV is enough), no need of any WiFi remotes.

Last edited:
folks,

I am refererring to Unrivalled Xantech IR repeater kits.... They help to control 4,6,10 and more IR equipments..

Solution can be designed as per your application. They got fantastic products to be designed.

Rgds, Vineet

folks,

I am refererring to Unrivalled Xantech IR repeater kits.... They help to control 4,6,10 and more IR equipments..

Solution can be designed as per your application. They got fantastic products to be designed.

Rgds, Vineet

I thought you were referring to some economical solutions.

AFAIK putting a small mirror angled correctly on the wall does wonders.
Why do we need another solution? :)

Cheers

first whacking the better half's necklace for a silver interconnect then her vanity mirror. when you gonna stop gobble?! :D

if it is a IR repeater , the school boys start learning kit building with these .. go a google ..
here is 1 : IR Repeater

Max cost =200/-
fix the Rx sensor on the cabinet , hide the other stuff, done.

first whacking the better half's necklace for a silver interconnect then her vanity mirror. when you gonna stop gobble?! :D

Well I don't have a better half currently so my advice was meant to be tried in other peoples homes. On my part I promise to diligently document the after-effects on the health of the relationship and the audiophile-who-once-dared ... as a service to the community at large :D

Cheers

Edit: Terms like "decay" will take on a new meaning after this I suspect :)

Last edited:
Some equipments provide a seperate wiring harness in the form of an extension of the remote sensor. The wiring harness will have a Sensor Eye and a cable running to the amplifier or whatever the equipment. The eye can be placed at a location where the remote needs to work or in some location where there is line of sight & since its such a small thing it goes unoticed. The best example of this technique is the system used to control car stereos through a steering wheel remote. Blaupunkt provides such as a system as an optional accessory for nearly all their head units.

Last edited:
There are many control kits available...

But, in most cases, its just done, in order to hide the equipment..

And if you guyz must have observed, most of the devices/sources & amps, comes along with IR extender, that can power signal, upto 5mtrs of IR cable.. that means, just add in a external IR cord, available for Rs.1,500 odds from local markets or for Rs.2,500 from a decent company, plug it at the rears of IR extenders, and take the wire under the false ceiling, or other hidden ways, and place it near your TV speakers, or somewhere where you point your remote....

Its, the easiest way.... Try it out...

There are many control kits available...

But, in most cases, its just done, in order to hide the equipment..

And if you guyz must have observed, most of the devices/sources & amps, comes along with IR extender, that can power signal, upto 5mtrs of IR cable.. that means, just add in a external IR cord, available for Rs.1,500 odds from local markets or for Rs.2,500 from a decent company, plug it at the rears of IR extenders, and take the wire under the false ceiling, or other hidden ways, and place it near your TV speakers, or somewhere where you point your remote....

Its, the easiest way.... Try it out...

In this case you need to be careful in shielding the cable from electrical interferences.

I am using the same kinda technique, but the cable is replaced with RF to connect between the source and destination. It is an IR-RF Converter along with an IR Repeater from Terk. Bought it from Amazon for 31$ including shipping (US).

Many purists refuse to add an IR receiver to their equipment because of potential interference or negative impact on SQ.

My concern is will it degrade the SQ of a pure audio HTPC?

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back