Installation of 5.1 Speakers system

mithunkr

Hi Friends,
I'll be moving into a new Flat soon, and need to install the existing 5.1 Ch home theater into the new living room. I've a Denon receiver and Polk Audio speakers.
As of now, in the rented house, we didn't bother much about proper calibration and installation of the system. But for own house it's needed to be installed and calibrated properly.
Does anyone know some good professionals who could help with this task? Most of the ones I saw online, seems to provide entire installation service, along with equipments. Do you know if anyone would also provide service of installation of existing equipment? And any idea of a probable service charges for such a work?

Part of the fun and frustration is in playing around with placement, running calibration SW and listening.
It will drive family members crazy, but at the end of it you will have bragging rights :eek:hyeah:
Get the position and placement as per your and family's expected level of enjoyment and then get a local electrician to drill holes in the wall (if applicable or needed to mount speakers).
What speakers do you have? Satellites, wall-mounts, stand-mounts, FS?
Cheers,
Raghu

Drilling holes is the easiest part for me, as I can do all that myself, have the reqd tools and skills.
It's calibration and proper positioning that I'm not sure about. I have wall mount speakers.
Moreover, I've an old Denon 1311 receiver, which doesn't have much interfaces for automatic calibration with softwares :( So, thought of employing a professional with experience...

Totally agree with Raghu's views. The real fun is to calibrate it yourself again and again and again. I end up doing it almost every weekend:eek:hyeah:.

Just get the speaker positioned and wires laid out to them as neatly/concealed as you wish. After that run the Auto setup as per Audyssey's recommendations.

However, if you still wish to get a professional, you could contact Pro Fx or Modern World who will do it for a charge. ProFx has numerous packages ranging from basic setup to an all out treatment.

MaSh

Ohh well, this Denon AVR 1311 model, unfortunately, doesn't have the Audyssey chip :(

Oh Yes, you are right. Totally slipped my mind. This is even more fun. You would have to manually set it up. You can use a decibel meter from the market or start off with a decibel app in the phone.

1. Connect a source to the receiver to play a Pink noise. You can down the test tracks from here: Understanding & Using Test Tones To Calibrate Your System - Blu-ray Forum

2. Place the mic in the primary listening position and play the test tracks. That post should also help you running the tracks and setting up your system.

This is the same thing that a professional would do. All the best.

You could also take a look at a similar post on this forum for the same receiver. http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/17451-settings-denon-avr-1311-a.html#post238873

MaSh

Installation of 5.1 system for optimal performance in a given room is not a fun at all for non-enthusiasts. So, experienced professional is needed to do the job satisfactorily. I think you are from Bangalore. In that case, you may contact Profx. There are experienced technicians with them, who can solve your problem.

Last edited:
Installation of 5.1 system for optimal performance in a given room is not a fun at all for non-enthusiasts. So, experienced professional is needed to do the job satisfactorily. I think you are from Bangalore. In that case, you may contact Profx. There are experienced technicians with them, who can solve your problem.

Do you have any rough idea of the range of costs they may charge?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back