Integrating a stereo setup with a 5.1 setup

Nitin K

Hi Friends,

I need your advice to set up a 2 channel stereo system with a subwoofer with a separate integrated amplifier. I currently have a 5.1 setup with the Marantz 7011 receiver with Dali Oberon 1 & Vokal as surrounds with the SVS PC 2000 subwoofer. This system does give me very good 2 channel stereo sound infact better than the mid range Pioneer & Kenwood integrated amplifiers previously owned.
I was curious since many here in the forum have said that a proper 2 channel amplifier would give excellent sound as compared to a AV receiver.
So Basically I don't mind going in for a new 2 channel integrated amplifier with a budget of 45K for 2 channel keeping in mind that the Marantz SR 7011 would be used for movies. Besides how would the connections be made to the speakers with the integrated amplifier & the receiver. Also how to re -run Audyssey XT 32 with the integrated amplifier in the chain assuming they are connected to the left & right speaker.

I do not know much about Ht receivers but I believe the 7011 by marantz has a pretty good amp in itself. The benefit you might get would be with a DAC rather than an amp and hat would be money better spent.

Why complicate the setup with an Amp

Agree with you Arj, then I guess I'll put aside this thought. I am happy with the sound of the SR 7011, was just curious how much more could it improve in 2 channel. Anyways thanks for your suggestion for the DAC.

Hi Friends,

I need your advice to set up a 2 channel stereo system with a subwoofer with a separate integrated amplifier. I currently have a 5.1 setup with the Marantz 7011 receiver with Dali Oberon 1 & Vokal as surrounds with the SVS PC 2000 subwoofer. This system does give me very good 2 channel stereo sound infact better than the mid range Pioneer & Kenwood integrated amplifiers previously owned.
I was curious since many here in the forum have said that a proper 2 channel amplifier would give excellent sound as compared to a AV receiver.
So Basically I don't mind going in for a new 2 channel integrated amplifier with a budget of 45K for 2 channel keeping in mind that the Marantz SR 7011 would be used for movies. Besides how would the connections be made to the speakers with the integrated amplifier & the receiver. Also how to re -run Audyssey XT 32 with the integrated amplifier in the chain assuming they are connected to the left & right speaker.
You first need to convince yourself that a 2-ch amp will sound better than AVR as per your ears/room/tastes.
If not, don't take this route; it needs real estate and doesn't come cheap.

If you do take this route, you will need an integrated amp or pre/pwr combo with HT bypass on the preamp section.
As far as I know, Rotel and Parasound have such products. I have a Parasound preamp that has this functionality.
Yes you can run room correction on the setup with L/R/Sub connected common to movie/music setup.
Other channels are driven directly by AVR.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu. Judging by suggestions here it does not seem worth going that route. I guess this thread can be closed & my curiosity got answered : )

Thanks Raghu. Judging by suggestions here it does not seem worth going that route. I guess this thread can be closed & my curiosity got answered : )

You are absolutely right nitin. I used to run my concept 40 speakers, through the HT bypass inputs of a parasound halo integrated amp. Running off the L&R preamp outputs of my marantz AVR 6011. Didn't make one bit of difference. I guess the Qacoustics at 90db sensitivity are easy to drive..So I have now removed the 2 channel amp from the chain. So I don't see any benefits in adding one.

However, if one wants to integrate a dedicated 2 channel setup with a existing surround system. Only then adding a 2 channel amp with HT bypass will be helpful. As one can build a full fledged 2 channel system around the 2 ch integrated amp with better dac's or Phono stages for TT etc. All the best:)

which combination will sound better in Stereo mode ...
an integrated 2 channels amplifier with HT bypass mode or 2 channels power amplifier connected to front pre out of av receiver considering source and speakers are same.

which combination will sound better in Stereo mode ...
an integrated 2 channels amplifier with HT bypass mode or 2 channels power amplifier connected to front pre out of av receiver considering source and speakers are same.

They will both sound exactly the same. As the quality of the music will first come from the dac, and next the pre amp. Any decent power amp will do fine, as long as the speakers are not power thirsty like ATC etc. So with efficient speaker of 89db and upwards , both will sound exactly the same.

However , if one has a dedicated source, then plugging it into the rca inputs of a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp will generally result in a purer and clearer presentation.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back