Intel NUC with Daphile

zeta148

Hi FMs,

Loaded Daphile on my intel NUC with 120GB SSD. Connected to chord Mojo DaC via USB. It sounded pretty good! What I really liked about Daphile is the CD ripping feature. I connected a portable DVD drive and ripped a couple of CDs to play back. Any one else using Intel NUC with Daphile? (Does anyone know how it compare to SOTM200--similar price range.)

Last edited:
Hi FMs,

Loaded Daphile on my intel NUC with 120GB SSD. Connected to chord Mojo DaC via USB. It sounded pretty good! What I really liked about Daphile is the CD ripping feature. I connected a portable DVD drive and ripped a couple of CDs to play back. Any one else using Intel NUC with Daphile? (Does anyone know how it compare to SOTM200--similar price range.)

Hi zeta, I haven’t heard the intel nuc with the daphile but I have the roon nucleus with the SOtM sMS 200 ultra and it sounds divine. Still breaking in but yes there is a huge difference frm my earlier setup where I used my MacBook Air as the roon core and the MSB DAC as the end point .
Cheers !
Anand

Hi FMs,

Used daphile extensively with a old laptop :) and it sounded actually very good
Useed load track in RAM feature so during playback usb was exclusively used for dac

Never used SOTM or similar products so not sure what works better

Sotm 200 ultra is an acclaimed streamer but in a difference price category wrt Intel nuc so can't really compare the two in my opinion. Sotm200 is closer to the intel nuc in price-- if I buy or get access to a sotm 200 i will try to do a A/b comparison.

Sotm 200 ultra is an acclaimed streamer but in a difference price category wrt Intel nuc so can't really compare the two in my opinion. Sotm200 is closer to the intel nuc in price-- if I buy or get access to a sotm 200 i will try to do a A/b comparison.
I compared the sotm200 with the sotm usbhubex to my music pc with Jriver. To be honest I did not notice any worthwhile difference . I have sold it and have upgraded to the Aurender n100h.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi zeta, I haven’t heard the intel nuc with the daphile but I have the roon nucleus with the SOtM sMS 200 ultra and it sounds divine. Still breaking in but yes there is a huge difference frm my earlier setup where I used my MacBook Air as the roon core and the MSB DAC as the end point .
Cheers !
Anand
Hello Anand !
This is GREAT !
You need to get the 4 items from SOTM.
a]
The Power Supply
b]
USB Regen
c]
SOTM Ultra 200
d]
Silver Cables - Power & USB from SOTM

If you do this - you will have super sound.
Play off the Roon Core - Less Powerful Unit.

Only Wave Files & you will be as close to Computer Audio Hi Fi as possible.

Incidently, I was in Pune on Friday / Saturday & with JS [forum Member] I was given
the chance to visit another FM's house.
Mr. DS [I do not know your FM Handle - sorry] !
Mr. DS has a 'excellent' [budget] level solution for Computer Audio.
I was very happy with its results.
Not sure, if I can discuss it here - Mods please do let me know.
But, I would like to share my findings - if possible....

Hello Anand !
This is GREAT !
You need to get the 4 items from SOTM.
a]
The Power Supply
b]
USB Regen
c]
SOTM Ultra 200
d]
Silver Cables - Power & USB from SOTM

If you do this - you will have super sound.
Play off the Roon Core - Less Powerful Unit.

Only Wave Files & you will be as close to Computer Audio Hi Fi as possible.

Incidently, I was in Pune on Friday / Saturday & with JS [forum Member] I was given
the chance to visit another FM's house.
Mr. DS [I do not know your FM Handle - sorry] !
Mr. DS has a 'excellent' [budget] level solution for Computer Audio.
I was very happy with its results.
Not sure, if I can discuss it here - Mods please do let me know.
But, I would like to share my findings - if possible....
Hi Bhagwan , thank you for your inputs . Of the 4 must haves I have 3 ... will go in for the usb regen and the external clock at a later date... pls do share your findings. It is always nice to hear other experiences too.
Cheers!
Anand

Would not it make sense to buy a high grade music server which is roon ready , has provision to install extra hard disks or can connect to a Nas , has individual power supplies for critical componenta, high grade clock rather then buying so many separate components

Just a thought

Would not it make sense to buy a high grade music server which is roon ready , has provision to install extra hard disks or can connect to a Nas , has individual power supplies for critical componenta, high grade clock rather then buying so many separate components

Just a thought
Thats definitely one way of looking at it . But then i prefer building my set up step by step so that i can savour the difference they make to the soundscape as i keep adding each component after substantial intervals.
cheers!
Anand

Just a thought
Sir,
You have a 'point'
I personally prefer a 1 box Computer Audio Solution.
http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenith-se-mk2-std
This is an 'excellent' solution.
However, this & many others like it are @ 4 K + Euro !
What I heard in Pune was 1 K US $'s or lower ..
Therefore I suggested it.
Yes - too many boxes & too many LPS's & too many cables - but an excellent solution for Rs. 60/- K
Therefore I commented on it....

Hi
I was not aware about such huge price difference
Even if more complex the SOTM solution surely is big game changer of sorts specially at the given price

http://www.innuos.com/uploads/cms/docs/Innuos_ZENith_Statement_A5_Flyer_2018-04 _WEB.pdf
This is the 'new kid on the block' ! I have not heard it - but it entered or was un veiled @ Chicago with YG Speakers & Aqua Formula xHD DAC.
It may have sent the 'new' [quiet] standard for Computer Audio Playback !
Yes..it is the lowest possible distortion device till date..and one can find reviews that people have expressed that they want to spend more on source than DAC.
Regarding my digital assembly..it is the best of both the worlds...Sotm sms200 is powered by by SBOOSTER LPS, singxer is powered by sbooster 79 Euro internal ultra device and same is with ISO regen... so i did not spend much but optimized power supply as per their current(ampere) needs.
You can find out the whole system in my signature. I would like to invite every FM to listen to my system and have an idea of what digital playback I am having. That will burst many myths revolving around digital playback. Sound impressions can be best described by FM JLS001 and FM Bhagwan.
Every system has compromises but their positive points are worth notable.
First prejudice is longer the chain bigger the loss. It is there but not in every case
Second prejudice is Class-D sounds edgy or artificial- it is not case with Crown Drive core series.
This is just a clarification from my side to help FM to get the better sound in affordable way

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back