Intro and hep in puchasing a 5.1 setup

sanish

Hi everyone,

I have been a silent follower of this forum for quite sometime now and the time has come for me to break the ice and make my post. I am settled in Bangalore, been with the IT industry with a while now. A major movie buff and music listener. Currently all my movies are played on my reliable Panasonic 32" with the built-in speakers. Music is mostly on my Sennheiser headphones. I have a Boston Acoustics iPod dock which is now rarely used.

Coming back to my TV, I can vouch for the video quality but not so much for the audio coming from the tiny speakers. I have been thinking of adding in a 5.1 system for a very long time, but budget constrains and other factors delayed the proceedings. Now the time has come to ditch the stereo and go surround.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been planning this purchase for a very long time. My initial plan was to get the then popular Energy Take Classic 5.1 along with a Yamaha AVR. Then I came across AJ's legendary Pioneer speakers and decided that this is the one that I need to have, but soon I realised that having two tower speakers in my apartment living room of size 21x11 (half of which will be dining area) will make my spouse not so happy ;). So the search continued and I think I have finalised on picking up Elac Debut B5 for the fronts and C5 for the center. However, I am not too sure about the surround speakers as I feel it might be an overkill for my apartment size not to mention the lack of adequate space behind the seating area. So this is where I need the first help, what other speaker pair can I buy for the surrounds which can pair with the B5s and is smaller and cheaper?

To be frank, I haven't done justice to my research on the sub-woofer. I am planning to visit a shop and choose based on what my ears tell me. If you guys have any recommendation please let me know.

Coming to AVRs, I am planning to stick with my initial plan of buying a Yamaha. My main requirements are very basic. Since I don't plan to get either a 4k or a 3D TV. I don't need a 7.1 channel system and definitely no Atmos. Bluetooth and WiFI are not important either, since I plan to stream using my Google Chromecast. Considering all these, I have zeroes in on RX-V483.

Finally, any recommendation on what shops should I consider in Bangalore. Any recommendation or past purchase after sales experience?

Regards,
Sanish

Yamaha with Elac will be a good combo. 7.1 or Atmos has got nothing to do with TV. They are perfectly compatible with Full HD TV. If you want to keep the option of upgrading open, go for RXV583 instead.

For surrounds you can look at polk OWM3 which can integrate in any system.

For subwoofer, please share your budget so that FMs can suggest suitable options.

In Bangalore, visit HTstore which has got good feedback. There are other threads in the forum dedicated to Bangalore dealers.

Hi everyone,

I have been a silent follower of this forum for quite sometime now and the time has come for me to break the ice and make my post.

Wc to the forum..

So this is where I need the first help, what other speaker pair can I buy for the surrounds which can pair with the B5s and is smaller and cheaper?

Best match would be from the same series, a smaller speaker.. Consider wall mounting options for surrounds.. Else you will need to buy stands, which will be additional cost..

To be frank, I haven't done justice to my research on the sub-woofer. I am planning to visit a shop and choose based on what my ears tell me. If you guys have any recommendation please let me know.

Budget for sub?

Coming to AVRs, I am planning to stick with my initial plan of buying a Yamaha. My main requirements are very basic. Since I don't plan to get either a 4k or a 3D TV. I don't need a 7.1 channel system and definitely no Atmos. Bluetooth and WiFI are not important either, since I plan to stream using my Google Chromecast. Considering all these, I have zeroes in on RX-V483.

Since you are not looking at 4K, Atmos capability AVR, suggest you to consider an used AVR from FM here in your city.. You can get a good one for 15K instead of spending 40K on a new 5.1 AVR..

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sanish, I have YAMAHA RX-V581 receiver connected to ELAC Debut bookshelves and Center speakers. I can vouch for it because it sounds really good.

Since you are not very specific about 7.1 or Atmos, you could think of Pioneer VSX531 as well.

Meanwhile, whats your budget?

Last edited:
I would seriously recommend looking at a 2.1 or 3.1 (with center channel) instead of 5.1 or 7.1. In the context of practical space available as well as maximum bang for the buck, these set ups will still serve up oodles of fun.

The sub will be important and will make the max difference as against the surrounds in my view. Plus the center channel for dialogues.

Doing retrofitting in an existing house for a clean 5.1 setup is a pain, else you will end up with ungainly wires running through your living room.

If 5.1 really matters, save up for a Klipsch wireless set up but music through Klipsch is tricky due to their very bright nature. Invest in good fronts and sub rather than mediocre 5.1.

Yamaha with Elac will be a good combo. 7.1 or Atmos has got nothing to do with TV. They are perfectly compatible with Full HD TV. If you want to keep the option of upgrading open, go for RXV583 instead.
I think I didn't explain it properly. I meant my AVR doesn't need to support any of the above as I don't have space to accommodate a 7.1. I don't believe in atmos, not to mention the lack of content.

For surrounds you can look at polk OWM3 which can integrate in any system.
Thanks much, this is exactly what I was looking for. In case I can't find this here, can you guide me on how to go about choosing a matching surround pair?

For subwoofer, please share your budget so that FMs can suggest suitable options.
For sub, I am willing to spend 25-30k.

In Bangalore, visit HTstore which has got good feedback. There are other threads in the forum dedicated to Bangalore dealers.
Yes, HTstore and ProFx are the two that I have shortlisted so far.

Sanish, I have YAMAHA RX-V581 receiver connected to ELAC Debut bookshelves and Center speakers. I can vouch for it because it sounds really good.
Yes, I have been following your thread since last month:) Btw, which sub did you buy finally?

Since you are not very specific about 7.1 or Atmos, you could think of Pioneer VSX531 as well.
Thanks for the advice, I will check on that

Meanwhile, whats your budget?
1L give or take.

I would seriously recommend looking at a 2.1 or 3.1 (with center channel) instead of 5.1 or 7.1. In the context of practical space available as well as maximum bang for the buck, these set ups will still serve up oodles of fun.

The sub will be important and will make the max difference as against the surrounds in my view. Plus the center channel for dialogues.

Doing retrofitting in an existing house for a clean 5.1 setup is a pain, else you will end up with ungainly wires running through your living room.

If 5.1 really matters, save up for a Klipsch wireless set up but music through Klipsch is tricky due to their very bright nature. Invest in good fronts and sub rather than mediocre 5.1.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been advised the same by a few others as well, ie. to worry about surround later. The purpose of the HT will be for about 60% movies, 20% music and 10% for gaming. I have a Netflix account, where 5.1 contents are plenty, hence the temptation to 5.1. However, I will make the call only after evaluating the practical aspect of this as you have mentioned.

Yes, I have been following your thread since last month:) Btw, which sub did you buy finally?

Thanks for the advice, I will check on that

1L give or take.

I have been using BIC America PL-200 which I bought a month back.

1L is a good amount for a very good audio setup.

I would even say think about Klipsch Quintet 5.0 speakers. They are tiny in size but sounds really amazing and well with in your budget.

With in your budget, you have lots of options including Boston Acoustics A25 / 26, Wharfedale Diamond 200 series, Polk TSX series, QAcoustics etc..

There are two ways to go about it in my view:

1. Buy a component system and build, as often advocated
  2. Buy a sound bar based approach where you update the whole system than adding component
When I started off with my journey, I went with the first model with the idea to upgrade. However, as is the case with initial budget, the initial components too often are a constraint when you try to upgrade rest of the chain. It could be a not so great AVR or a lack of good DAC or anything else.
Hence, ultimately, by the time your preferences become more mature, your choice of upgrades are so higher up in the value chain that your rest of the chain is now looking like a weak link.

In my case, my choice to upgrade to better speakers meant I had to buy an integrated amp as I started off with an AVR. Plus, the AVR itself needed to be upgraded to handle more power hungry speakers. Which meant my initial "component" set up pretty much needed to be replaced 100%. All in all, it actually reflected a very sizable investment. Plus, I took an honest assessment of how much time do I spend on listening to music vs. watching TV/movie. I realized that I am better off buying a really good sound bar and then maybe round it off with a good sub.

Which is the second approach.

So minus the excitement of setting up a new component set up, the longevity of the first set up is highly debatable unless your very first set up is reasonably high end and allows for better components to be added.

There are two ways to go about it in my view:

1. Buy a component system and build, as often advocated
  2. Buy a sound bar based approach where you update the whole system than adding component
When I started off with my journey, I went with the first model with the idea to upgrade. However, as is the case with initial budget, the initial components too often are a constraint when you try to upgrade rest of the chain. It could be a not so great AVR or a lack of good DAC or anything else.
Hence, ultimately, by the time your preferences become more mature, your choice of upgrades are so higher up in the value chain that your rest of the chain is now looking like a weak link.

In my case, my choice to upgrade to better speakers meant I had to buy an integrated amp as I started off with an AVR. Plus, the AVR itself needed to be upgraded to handle more power hungry speakers. Which meant my initial "component" set up pretty much needed to be replaced 100%. All in all, it actually reflected a very sizable investment. Plus, I took an honest assessment of how much time do I spend on listening to music vs. watching TV/movie. I realized that I am better off buying a really good sound bar and then maybe round it off with a good sub.

Which is the second approach.

So minus the excitement of setting up a new component set up, the longevity of the first set up is highly debatable unless your very first set up is reasonably high end and allows for better components to be added.
This is probably the best piece of advice that I have received on this topic. Thanks.

Let me give a brief history on my association with HiFi audio. It all started when I visited my BIL's house for the first time and was blow away by his Harman Kardons. This was around 15 years back and I still remember the way I felt when I listened to it. Another 6-7 years later, my roommate bought a Denon 5.1 package. And suddenly everything changed, the movies, gaming, music and I was hooked and decided that I need to buy one when I am ready. But many factors, delayed the purchase. However, I fed my appetite for HiFI audio by purchasing Inifinyt Reference for my car with amp hooked to Alpine HU. The music never stopped while driving. However, at home I had to satisfy myself with my Sennheiser headphones, even now.

What I am trying to say is that, I am very sure that I need a HT set-up.

1) Do I need a 5.1 or is 3.1 enough for me? May be not. This is something that I need to evaluate once I move in to my new apartment where I am planning to install these, but I am pretty sure that I need a 3.1 minimum.

2) Do I need the Elacs? Again, maybe not. To be frank, I haven't listened to any of the speakers that I have shortlisted. It is all based on reviews and owners' feedback. I will buy only after I audition them. Apart from sound, size also matters to me and I feel the B5s might be a bit large. I picked that as a starting point for the discussions in the forum

3) And finally, will I be spending the entire amount that I had mentioned earlier? It depends on the above 2. This is something that I have been saving for the past few months, since I wasn't sure what the price will be at the time of purchase, I wanted it to reach a descent figure before refining the components. I might even eventually go with a 3.1 setup and do the rear channels later.

I have been using BIC America PL-200 which I bought a month back.
Will check it out.
I would even say think about Klipsch Quintet 5.0 speakers. They are tiny in size but sounds really amazing and well with in your budget.
Thee size of these is a plus point. Did you own these?
With in your budget, you have lots of options including Boston Acoustics A25 / 26, Wharfedale Diamond 200 series, Polk TSX series, QAcoustics etc..
BAs were in my original list. Since the price is more or less the same as that of Elacs, I moved Elacs to the top of the list. Btw, I have ruled out all floor standing towers because of curious 1 year old :)

Will check it out.

Thee size of these is a plus point. Did you own these?

BAs were in my original list. Since the price is more or less the same as that of Elacs, I moved Elacs to the top of the list. Btw, I have ruled out all floor standing towers because of curious 1 year old :)

I don't own it but I studied and read a lot about it after buying Elacs.

Meanwhile why not this?

Last edited:
If you are clear on wanting a component HT set up, my advise would be to go the 2.1 route. That would allow you to jack up the specs of the AVR even if you go with book shelves. At least it will give you the window to upgrade on speakers without hunting for a 1L AVR alongside :)

I don't own it but I studied and read a lot about it after buying Elacs.

Meanwhile why not this?
Considering that I have to spend more on a sub for the Klipsch, the Warfedales seems to be a better bet. I will check the availability of both here in Bangalore.,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Considering that I have to spend more on a sub for the Klipsch, the Warfedales seems to be a better bet. I will check the availability of both here in Bangalore.,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Do an audition first then decide...

Elangoas is very very right here....

If you only want 5 channels of amplification and don't need 4k or Atmos or hdcp2.2. You are basically looking at a 3 year old avr. But these still come with Bluetooth and networking.

If you don't need even Bluetooth and networking, then you are actually looking at a seven year old amp.

No point buying a new generation avr for your requirements. I would strongly suggest as elangoas said, best to buy a pre-loved avr from our classifieds section.

But please be advised that soon you will realise the importance of all these functions, and again may set out on your next hunt. So may I suggest all in one HT packages from onkyo and Yamaha. Will be cheaper than avr + 5.1 speaker combo by a huge margin. And will still give you all modern functions

I am willing to spend 25-30k.

Plenty of popular options in that budget.. Taga TSW series, BIC America F series..

1L give or take.

That is a good budget..Plan & you can have a great system..

The purpose of the HT will be for about 60% movies, 20% music and 10% for gaming.

You can consider a satellite (or) smallest BS and dual subs..

What I am trying to say is that, I am very sure that I need a HT set-up.

1) Do I need a 5.1 or is 3.1 enough for me? May be not. This is something that I need to evaluate once I move in to my new apartment where I am planning to install these, but I am pretty sure that I need a 3.1 minimum.

I have a 5.2.2 set up in a 150 Sqft room (14 W x 11 L).. You can very well do a 5.2.4..

Finally, in your budget, you can put together an used AVR + dual subs + speakers..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back