invitation to listen to valves, turntable, single driver

No vinyl, unfortunately-time was at a premium.
BTW, Viren is planning an upgrade on the Harmony ones'-some cabinet redesign to strengthen the bass & he's ordered the supertweeter which would be available as an option.
Another couple of weeks & then I'll post first impressions.

Be very careful with the Supertweeter and a Single Driver speaker.

They have a tendency to not work well together. Sound definitely got funky when I tried it. Nevertheless, the super tweeters can really work well in other setups I've heard.

Do report back on how it works out for you if you can.

solved the problem of the mullards. apparently they're fake. the sound didnt quite match the description of mullards online. they sounded more like philips tubes. spectacular but ear and headache after a couple of records. got a replacement tube from be3amplifiers and it was of a different construction altogether! so that confirmed the mullards are fake prints. be3's mohamed will replace them. though i'd caution someone buying from him to be more careful. when buying he assured me they were originals and when i called him after receiving the replacement and asked him point blank how he knew they were originals he changed his view and said no they sound ok i've sent a pair to someone in pune and he liked them so i thought they were no problem. so buyer beware! have received some original mullards so will listen and see today evening!

No vinyl, unfortunately-time was at a premium.
BTW, Viren is planning an upgrade on the Harmony ones'-some cabinet redesign to strengthen the bass & he's ordered the supertweeter which would be available as an option.
Another couple of weeks & then I'll post first impressions.

hi kamal,

hows the supertweeter project going? by the way when i put in the 45 tubes instead of the 2A3s, there was far more and better treble. so that tube sort of mitigated the single driver limitations at both ends. make it a point to hear the system when viren does his heater supply change to accomodate the vt52s, a souped up version of the basic 45. you'd be pretty surprised at the difference :) it makes the 2A3 sound positively indistinct and like a lumbering giant. and any tube that can make the 2A3 sound like that is indeed something special. the feeling now is like you're at the mixing table hearing a band lay down a track in the studio. and i threw iron maiden, deep purple, queen, led zep, alice cooper, and all sorts of hard rock at it. check out the yamamoto a08S review on sixmoons, google it. will give you a good idea of what viren's amp now does.

regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back