inwall network wiring

nandac

Hi, anybody done this?

Is cat7 the best option now?

Any specific cat7 in wall cable recommended (and available in India)?

Any special considerations to be taken when doing inwall network wiring?

Appreciate the insights.

I had done this at home to bridge two routers between diff floors. They may be a few issues, make sure the lines are away from power lines, I had too much power interference as the pipes ran beside each other for 100ft. packet drop was so high that I gave up this line. Lately, I figured out the POE router solved the power interference problem. All I had to do was connect a poe injector to send more power via same cat 6 line and poe router at end cleared all this power interference headaches/packet drop headaches

CAT6 works fine up to 60-70m in-wall runs at 1000mbps.. Havells makes good quality in-wall cables
Having said that, I presume you are doing it for an under-construction house and not for a retrofit.

If it's a retrofit, you may want to look at dedicated back-haul mesh alternatives instead unless your existing conduits are wide enough to take another (thick) cable

I had done this at home to bridge two routers between diff floors. They may be a few issues, make sure the lines are away from power lines, I had too much power interference as the pipes ran beside each other for 100ft. packet drop was so high that I gave up this line. Lately, I figured out the POE router solved the power interference problem. All I had to do was connect a poe injector to send more power via same cat 6 line and poe router at end cleared all this power interference headaches/packet drop headaches
I have a similar situation as you, Ethernet cable running through the electrical pipe in my 2nd floor HT room. Even with wired Ethernet connection to the Nvidia shield, I'm not getting full 100 Mbps of my FTTH plan. Can you please elaborate more on the changes you have done to overcome this problem. What is a PoE router and how to go about it.

hmm i was actually told that ethernet cables will not be negatively affected by power cables. but yours is real experience ...

how about fiber cable?

any advantages/disadvantages of fiber over ethernet cable.

BTW I was thinking of CAT7. As the chord c-stream I use is CAT7.

I have a similar situation as you, Ethernet cable running through the electrical pipe in my 2nd floor HT room. Even with wired Ethernet connection to the Nvidia shield, I'm not getting full 100 Mbps of my FTTH plan. Can you please elaborate more on the changes you have done to overcome this problem. What is a PoE router and how to go about it.

To make it simple get PoE splitter and PoE injector, I can't guarantee what works for me, works for everyone, you should experiment, the only reason I assume this works is the cat6 line gets powered and probably the splitter at end removes all this power and feeds plain data(avoids packet drop).

e.g - the pictures on this might help you understand better
Splitter https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-PoE10R-TP-LinkTL-POE10R-Splitter-Black/dp/B001PS4NWW
Injector https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-POE150S-TP-LinkTL-POE150S-Injector-Black/dp/B001PS9E5I

PS I did test same line with POE and without POE, clearly, POE has 0% drop, and non-poe lines drops 70-80% packets

hmm i was actually told that ethernet cables will not be negatively affected by power cables. but yours is real experience ...

how about fiber cable?

any advantages/disadvantages of fiber over ethernet cable.

BTW I was thinking of CAT7. As the chord c-stream I use is CAT7.
Househld Power shouldn't affect ethernet cables at all unless the cables were bad to begin with
e.g. the basic twisted pair cable used by many builders at the time of construction will typically fall to 100mbps and even 10mbps over just a few meters.
I have a 55 meter long run on my outer wall next to power lines that comfortably yieds 900+mbps

PoE equipment uses only 2 of the 4 pairs (the rest are used for power) and is thus limited to 100mbps only

There is no point using fiber within home as it is meant to carry much higher bandwidths over a lot longer distances than a home use case

If you get CAT7 at a price comparable to CAT6 then you should get that .. Just make sure the cable is UL rated.. (for context , even Cat5e supports gigabit...Home networking equipment currently is limited to gigabit which should hold good for at least a decade or more.. )

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back