Is having some dead pixels on a plasma TV screen normal?

curious

Friends,

I've bought a Samsung 51E550 plasma TV about a month and a half back. I routinely run burn in protection bars for a couple minutes every 8-10 days. When I was running those bars last evening, I noticed what I thought a dead pixel on screen. On close observation, I noticed one more dead pixel. There were a couple of more pixels which were half dead(blinking). I don't remember seeing those before.

These dead pixels are not really distracting as such while watching TV content frome normal viewing distance. However, now that I've noticed those, I cannot ignore those. I keep looking for those.

I remember, there was a mention in the user guide that having some dead pixels is "normal" for a plasma screen. Is it really normal? The thing, I'm really worried about is, these pixels died in the last couple of weeks or so. I'm afraid, there is a possibility of some more pixels dying as the set ages. Do you agree? Any idea if Samsung warranty covers it? What is the "acceptable" number of dead pixels for Samsung before they acknowledge it as a defect.

Should I hope that these pixels may return to life automatically (as they died). Is there any way to fix it? I read on net that most of the the fixing techniques work only on LCD screens.

Friends,

I've bought a Samsung 51E550 plasma TV about a month and a half back. I routinely run burn in protection bars for a couple minutes every 8-10 days. When I was running those bars last evening, I noticed what I thought a dead pixel on screen. On close observation, I noticed one more dead pixel. There were a couple of more pixels which were half dead(blinking). I don't remember seeing those before.

These dead pixels are not really distracting as such while watching TV content frome normal viewing distance. However, now that I've noticed those, I cannot ignore those. I keep looking for those.

I remember, there was a mention in the user guide that having some dead pixels is "normal" for a plasma screen. Is it really normal? The thing, I'm really worried about is, these pixels died in the last couple of weeks or so. I'm afraid, there is a possibility of some more pixels dying as the set ages. Do you agree? Any idea if Samsung warranty covers it? What is the "acceptable" number of dead pixels for Samsung before they acknowledge it as a defect.

Should I hope that these pixels may return to life automatically (as they died). Is there any way to fix it? I read on net that most of the the fixing techniques work only on LCD screens.

It is normal to have a few dead pixels. I had encountered 1 dead pixel and complained to Panasonic and had got the set replaced within first few days of purchase.

Thanks friends,

I've sent a mail to Samsung customer care. They have arranged for an engineer's visit to my place. I'll also insist on getting the set replaced. If other manufacturer's are replacing the sets for just one dead/stuck pixel, I don't think, it's unreasonable to expect the replacement for four faulty pixels.

A Samsung technician visited my place and inspected the TV just a few minutes back. He said the pixels are dead and he was going to recommend that the panel be replaced. I told him that I would prefer replacement of the entire set. To which, he replied that it's difficult to get the enitire set replaced as per company policy.

I asked him, what could be the reason(s) for this problem. He did not have any definitive answer except that this problem is very rare these days. I specifically asked him could it be because of the faulty circuit boards? My intention was to decide on whether to insist on getting the set replaced. Because if the board is faulty, it may cause problem to the new panel also. He was not sure about it. He said they replace all the supporting circuit boards along with the panel.

So friends please guide me. Should I settle for just the panel replacement? If not, what are the compelling reasons for me to press for replacement of the entire set? The technician asked me to talk to his manager to see if I can get the set replaced.

Buddy, how do you identify a dead pixel on screen - I mean how does it look different from rest of the screen?

Buddy, how do you identify a dead pixel on screen - I mean how does it look different from rest of the screen?

You can easily spot dead/stuck pixels, if any, while running Screen Burn Protection bars.

For 51E550, Burn Protection bars are scrolling bars with gradually varying shades from white to black. If you inspect the screen carefully while it's running these bars, you can easily notice if there is any pixel which is not changing the colour (shade) along with rest of the pixels around it.

A dead pixel will remain off/black or show a particular colour(blue/red/green etc) even when rest of the pixels around it are white/gray.

Please let me know if you need more information.

I think a panel replacement will be fine as it will solve the problem completely.

A Samsung technician visited my place and inspected the TV just a few minutes back. He said the pixels are dead and he was going to recommend that the panel be replaced. I told him that I would prefer replacement of the entire set. To which, he replied that it's difficult to get the enitire set replaced as per company policy.

I asked him, what could be the reason(s) for this problem. He did not have any definitive answer except that this problem is very rare these days. I specifically asked him could it be because of the faulty circuit boards? My intention was to decide on whether to insist on getting the set replaced. Because if the board is faulty, it may cause problem to the new panel also. He was not sure about it. He said they replace all the supporting circuit boards along with the panel.

So friends please guide me. Should I settle for just the panel replacement? If not, what are the compelling reasons for me to press for replacement of the entire set? The technician asked me to talk to his manager to see if I can get the set replaced.

Mostly dead pixel issue is a panel issue and not circuit boards issue. Else they would have fixed it by replacing the boards which would be way cheaper.

you can search google for more information. I think panel replacement should be acceptable.

While accepting the repairs, instead of the scroll use slides with different colors RGB,grey/while black etc. It is easier to spot a dead pixel using these set of slides. The RGB slides will help spot a dead sub-pixel which is harder in white or grey shades. These are available freely on the internet.

Mostly dead pixel issue is a panel issue and not circuit boards issue. Else they would have fixed it by replacing the boards which would be way cheaper.

you can search google for more information. I think panel replacement should be acceptable.

While accepting the repairs, instead of the scroll use slides with different colors RGB,grey/while black etc. It is easier to spot a dead pixel using these set of slides. The RGB slides will help spot a dead sub-pixel which is harder in white or grey shades. These are available freely on the internet.

Thanks Amol,

Could you please let me know, from where can I download these slides?

Hi Curious
Dead pixels are like dead skin, you TV will keep shedding them every fortnight until there are no more pixels left. Unfortunately TVs are not humans and cannot regenerate new pixels (skin). When all pixels are dead you will need to dispose your TV (usually by burial as cremation will release toxins in the air) and get a new one. The metals will leach into the soil and the grass will grow over it. The cows will eat the grass and soon over a few generations we will have pixellated cows.

Are you still curious about what happens next? :)

--G0bble

Keep looking for dots which fail to change colour, the basic colours red, green, blue, black and white on a full screen will let you know whether there are any dead/stuck pixels or not.

Last August we bought 5 TVs (group buy) from croma of the same model and only my tv had only one stuck pixel and the same was replaced (I think they replaced the panel) and I have still 2 more years of warranty left.

bad time for plasma owner,very elaborated end journey:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dead pixel tv is like dominating wify...
only solution all ppl know
Hi Curious
Dead pixels are like dead skin, you TV will keep shedding them every fortnight until there are no more pixels left. Unfortunately TVs are not humans and cannot regenerate new pixels (skin). When all pixels are dead you will need to dispose your TV (usually by burial as cremation will release toxins in the air) and get a new one. The metals will leach into the soil and the grass will grow over it. The cows will eat the grass and soon over a few generations we will have pixellated cows.

Are you still curious about what happens next? :)

--G0bble

I had found 5 dead pixels after a week of purchase (you can check my post in PS51E550 owner's thread). I had to use multiple platform for Samsung to take this seriously. Finally, Samsung replaced my TV with a new one. Unfortunately the new set also had two dead pixels :sad: To my surprise, one of the dead pixel has vanished after few hours of usage!!! Now only one dead pixel left & looks like it is also getting back into life :) Experts can explain if this can happen or its a one off case?

I had found 5 dead pixels after a week of purchase (you can check my post in PS51E550 owner's thread). I had to use multiple platform for Samsung to take this seriously. Finally, Samsung replaced my TV with a new one. Unfortunately the new set also had two dead pixels :sad: To my surprise, one of the dead pixel has vanished after few hours of usage!!! Now only one dead pixel left & looks like it is also getting back into life :) Experts can explain if this can happen or its a one off case?

I think the warranty covers dead pixels when they exceed a certain number. I dont think you can demand an exchange when just one or two dead pixels are found.

--G

now apart from image burn-in problems, the new plasma sets are giving more headaches to the customers.

now apart from image burn-in problems, the new plasma sets are giving more headaches to the customers.

Dead pixels could be on a LCD too. Its just that many don't know/ don't bother to check (and it should be that way as once you notice them it is a unnecessary head-ache unless it really matters during normal viewing).

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back