Is Samsung deliberately pushing 3D LEDs!

karmapilots

I went to the Samsung showroom in Forum Mall today to check the price for a 55" LED TV. I had earlier seen a Series 8 non 3D LED earlier and when I inquired about that the sales man and showroom manager told me that they have stopped production of that model. And both of them were actively pushing the 3D.

Why would they try to sell a technology which is so nascent even in the US down our throat. What happens if a person just wants to get a normal LED(with all the tech advances like 200 hz motion flow)?

Has anyone else experienced similar situation in the forum?

ps: The price quoted for Series 7 3D LED is 2,13,000/-
Is that a good price?

I went to the Samsung showroom in Forum Mall today to check the price for a 55" LED TV. I had earlier seen a Series 8 non 3D LED earlier and when I inquired about that the sales man and showroom manager told me that they have stopped production of that model. And both of them were actively pushing the 3D.

Why would they try to sell a technology which is so nascent even in the US down our throat. What happens if a person just wants to get a normal LED(with all the tech advances like 200 hz motion flow)?

Series 6 (and some more downwards perhaps) has 100Hz. If you really don't want 3D, take a look at them.

Obviously with 3d tech they can make more profits,they also pushed LED tvs last year and this year its 3d.Infact all companies are pushing 3d like sony and panasonic.

Although i myself haven't seen it,the 7 series CCFL lcd has 200hz and should be cheaper.

Has anyone else experienced similar situation in the forum?

ps: The price quoted for Series 7 3D LED is 2,13,000/-
Is that a good price?

An exclusive brand showroom is the last place to buy a TV from.
You could however pay them a visit to check out displays of sets that may not available elsewhere for display

The 3D C7000 LED LCD should be available for around 181K-185K or even lesser here. Some one in the forum bought it for 181K . In Bangalore Girias should be giving you a good deal. Devi International too have good deals , but i know this because they were offering me the best prices for plasmas last year... not so sure about LEDs.

The series 8 non 3D LED i think is last year's B8000. Comparatively this year's series 7 and 8 LEDs should have slight improvements. I am pretty confident that this year's C8000 should cost around the same prices or less than you were quoted .
The other non 3D LEDs like the 6 series should come even cheaper but with 100hz which not make much of a difference for many
The Sony models could also be worth a look if you are only thinking LED
The 55 C750 CCFL LCD with 200hz would cost about 1.5 lakhs

Last edited:
An exclusive brand showroom is the last place to buy a TV from.
You could however pay them a visit to check out displays of sets that may not available elsewhere for display

The 3D C7000 LED LCD should be available for around 181K-185K or even lesser here. Some one in the forum bought it for 181K . In Bangalore Girias should be giving you a good deal. Devi International too have good deals , but i know this because they were offering me the best prices for plasmas last year... not so sure about LEDs.

The series 8 non 3D LED i think is last year's B8000. Comparatively this year's series 7 and 8 LEDs should have slight improvements. I am pretty confident that this year's C8000 should cost around the same prices or less than you were quoted .
The other non 3D LEDs like the 6 series should come even cheaper but with 100hz which not make much of a difference for many
The Sony models could also be worth a look if you are only thinking LED
The 55 C750 CCFL LCD with 200hz would cost about 1.5 lakhs

Hey Gfreeman,
Thanks for the info. By the way do you think at 55 inches, is it advisable to go with LED, or is there any other better option? My use is gaming and movies.

above 42 inches plasma is more vfm,but you need a light controlled room, if not led/lcd is definitely the way to go,
panasonic v20 50" plasma is available for around 1lakh and there is a popular opinion in this forum that it is the best tv available,refer the corresponding threads

you could get 60"lg pk950/550 plasma, also around the1-1.5lakh which is also very good
To enjoy these properly you will need to use hidef sources like blurays or 720p download, sd material /dth channels etc will look very bad in these big screens

Hey Gfreeman,
Thanks for the info. By the way do you think at 55 inches, is it advisable to go with LED, or is there any other better option? My use is gaming and movies.

Karmapilots,
If you are serious about gaming i would say that a decent Panasonic plasma like the V20 would be a good option but it maxes out at 50 inches. Most LEDs and LCDs have significant input lag which more or less worsens with each year's release. Most Samsungs are considered extemely laggy. The Sony EX700 and Samsung C8000 are just about ok in this area but serious gamers can still complain about it though.

If you like the picture quality of plasmas there is also the 63 inch Samsung C7000 3D plasma((about 217K), 58 inch C6500(130-135k) the 60 inch LG PK950(1.10k-1.50k). These should also meet your movie and gaming needs. With gaming though there are the usual chances of temporary image retention on all these and there can be some visible phosphor trailing to extremely sensitive folks.

For movies too i think plasmas are a better option considering motion . But you could compensate some of the motion problems on an LED/LCD by adjusting the distance to the TV and by buying a Samsung which allows you to adjust dejudder/blur modes hence allowing you to improve motion resolution without giving a video feel when using 100hz/200hz technologies (though this was best demonstrated on their last year's sets)

It may be confusing with so many options around but at 55 inches i don't think there is much to choose between the 7 series, 8 series LEDs and the 7 series LCDs. The plasmas from LG and Samsung are worth considering with the 950 being just sheer VFM and good reviews.....you could also consider the LG 9500 which is a fully backlit solution better in many ways than the Samsungs but with banding issues and a reflective screen.

Its not simple to make a choice without considering all the pros and cons of each technology(plasmas on one hand, CCFL,Full backlit and edge lit LED LCDs on the other) and please take time to find out as much as you can before making a decision. Spend time visiting as as many brandshops as possible for displays and playing around with TVs. I can recommend two showrooms based on personal experience where people have been very helpful in the past. There is a Samsung showroom on the same road which has pretty much all Samsung models on show but you might end up leaving there with a very bad taste

LG Showroom-Rajajinagar
Panasonic-Rajajinagar

At the end of it my personal choice for movies and gaming though would still be a plasma preferably Panasonic which sadly has limited sizes in its line up

Last edited:
Why not a projector? You would have triple the picture size with a quality comparable to the better Plasmas on the market for that price. Explore this option. I was going to, but decided against it as Dad wanted to use the TV for daily watching as well. A 150 inch projected screen would do you a lot of good. Not to mention the almost perfect response times while gaming and the WOW factor of a 150-200 inch screen.

Karmapilots,
If you are serious about gaming i would say that a decent Panasonic plasma like the V20 would be a good option but it maxes out at 50 inches. Most LEDs and LCDs have significant input lag which more or less worsens with each year's release. Most Samsungs are considered extemely laggy. The Sony EX700 and Samsung C8000 are just about ok in this area but serious gamers can still complain about it though.

If you like the picture quality of plasmas there is also the 63 inch Samsung C7000 3D plasma((about 217K), 58 inch C6500(130-135k) the 60 inch LG PK950(1.10k-1.50k). These should also meet your movie and gaming needs. With gaming though there are the usual chances of temporary image retention on all these and there can be some visible phosphor trailing to extremely sensitive folks.

For movies too i think plasmas are a better option considering motion . But you could compensate some of the motion problems on an LED/LCD by adjusting the distance to the TV and by buying a Samsung which allows you to adjust dejudder/blur modes hence allowing you to improve motion resolution without giving a video feel when using 100hz/200hz technologies (though this was best demonstrated on their last year's sets)

It may be confusing with so many options around but at 55 inches i don't think there is much to choose between the 7 series, 8 series LEDs and the 7 series LCDs. The plasmas from LG and Samsung are worth considering with the 950 being just sheer VFM and good reviews.....you could also consider the LG 9500 which is a fully backlit solution better in many ways than the Samsungs but with banding issues and a reflective screen.

Its not simple to make a choice without considering all the pros and cons of each technology(plasmas on one hand, CCFL,Full backlit and edge lit LED LCDs on the other) and please take time to find out as much as you can before making a decision. Spend time visiting as as many brandshops as possible for displays and playing around with TVs. I can recommend two showrooms based on personal experience where people have been very helpful in the past. There is a Samsung showroom on the same road which has pretty much all Samsung models on show but you might end up leaving there with a very bad taste

LG Showroom-Rajajinagar
Panasonic-Rajajinagar

At the end of it my personal choice for movies and gaming though would still be a plasma preferably Panasonic which sadly has limited sizes in its line up

Yeah, the entire thing is really confusing and with the introduction of all the other similar models by you it has become even more difficult to get a fix on one. But thanks, will take my time and will do an educated buy. ;)

Why not a projector? You would have triple the picture size with a quality comparable to the better Plasmas on the market for that price. Explore this option. I was going to, but decided against it as Dad wanted to use the TV for daily watching as well. A 150 inch projected screen would do you a lot of good. Not to mention the almost perfect response times while gaming and the WOW factor of a 150-200 inch screen.

Did think about a projector, but that I'll set up when I buy my own house. Thanks for the suggestion.

Most LEDs and LCDs have significant input lag which more or less worsens with each year's release. Most Samsungs are considered extemely laggy. The Sony EX700 and Samsung C8000 are just about ok in this area but serious gamers can still complain about it though.

One workaround in this case would be to use a PC port for connection. On PC port (VGA or DVI), TV turns off most off video processing. This avoids time lag.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back