Is there surround sound support for youtube ?

Some of the contents are with 5.1 PCM but only a very few devices have that support. For example, Nvidia shield TV.

It's also available on chrome browser on pc. Do a google to know how to enable it.

Just downloaded above said file on phone and while playing it on pc it shows 5.1 acc .Also downloaded some track from dolbys channel and they also comes with 5.1 acc.

Can some one download the video on a phone and play it on a avr to confirm . When you download it using apps like gettube there is a option for selecting the soundtrack and video quality select the video with dash and select the highest quality acc. After downloading the file it shows 5.1 soundtrac .
Many reported it works with kodi .Some say 5.1 works out of box with Chromecast connected to hdmi

If you play ytube from firestik,you will get 5.1 audio.Its working when l connect firestik to avr directly.
also check this-

Can some one download the video on a phone and play it on a avr to confirm . When you download it using apps like gettube there is a option for selecting the soundtrack and video quality select the video with dash and select the highest quality acc. After downloading the file it shows 5.1 soundtrac .
Many reported it works with kodi .Some say 5.1 works out of box with Chromecast connected to hdmi
Downloading softwares can't do 5.1 files.Even with laptop/PC can't.It does stereo only.Firefox is said to support,but I couldn't.

It used to work on Nvidia Shield. But not working now. The latest version of the YouTube app seems to be the problem.

If you play ytube from firestik,you will get 5.1 audio.Its working when l connect firestik to avr directly.
also check this-
I am not able to get it via Fire TV 4K. Netflix and Prime do 5.1 DD+ but not in you tube. Any specific setting you use?

Some contents were encoded in Dolby stereo or something and when played back, Pro logic can upmix it to multichannel surround sound.

There are few contents on Youtube that are non-stereo i.e., 5.1 or even 7.1
If you have a desktop that has a sound-card that supports 5.1 or 7.1 or surround (as mentioned), it will provide the multichannel output.

If I play 'such' youtube content on my Apple TV through a multichannel AV receiver, it does give multichannel audio output.
Examples of such audio on Youtube can be found simply by searching 'DTS Demo' or 'Surround Sound Demo'.

Can also take HDMI out of your laptop into a AV receiver to test this.

If you are using a desktop or laptop and are unable to get this desired multichannel output due to browser constrains, you can use the youtube url and play it using VLC player. We all have and use vlc, right ?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back