Is Wynk quality this bad?

aurobindosaha

Hi

I am listening to Ay Harate Ashiquee on Airtel Wynk Music. I am using Xiaomi Mi4i Phone and Sennheiser HD 598.

I can not believe the quality is so bad. I can hear noise at the silent zones, drums thud muddy, vocals mid are miss the clarity and openness.

Are my ears bad, or my headphone and phone bad? I tried playing the flac recording of same song on my AP speakers, sounds so soothing there. I dare not play Wynk on those monitor speakers

Do you experience same quality issues in Wynk when used through a phone?

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

You cannot honestly compare MP3 to audio CD or FLAC quality.

That said I have actually been very impressed with the quality of Wynk. It has been better than all the other services.

Go to settings, music preferences and set it to HD, that will give 320/256 kbps. The default setting is 128, and perhaps you need to change that.

Edit: Also I don't use my phone, I cast it to Chromecast Audio.

Thank you very much. I did not knew the default settings. Yes, the output difference is audible in HD.

But I still hear a hiss in silent zones. Likely that i because of inferior DAC chip on phone. The flac on my computer sounds absolute silence in quite zones.

You are right mp3 and FLAC can will have quality difference

Thanks
Auro

"You cannot honestly compare MP3 to audio CD or FLAC quality."

"You are right mp3 and FLAC can will have quality difference"

it is true there is difference, but I believe the true reason behind the most of the differences we hear is the conversion or ripping technique or carelessness of responsible person.

I can share some MP3 files where most of the listener's have to imagine to find differences or he/she should have exceptional ear as well as very high resolving system to discover any deficiencies.

Last edited:
"You cannot honestly compare MP3 to audio CD or FLAC quality."

"You are right mp3 and FLAC can will have quality difference"

it is true there is difference, but I believe the true reason behind the most of the differences we hear is the conversion or ripping technique or carelessness of responsible person.

I can share some MP3 files where most of the listener's have to imagine to find differences or he/she should have exceptional ear as well as very high resolving system to discover any deficiencies.

Precisely yes! Can't believe we call Wynk anywhere other than a complete DISASTER! Worst streaming audio not because of MP3 or blah blah but because those fools butcher the content by applying DRC.

They boost volume to "sufficiently distort" then apply Dynamic Range Control and resampling to ensure its completely dead!:mad::yahoo:

Waiting for Spotify and Tidal in India. Only Apple Music gives decent SQ on a lossy format as there is no butchering.

I am also thinking of launching a Lossless Streaming service in India.

Wynk sucks big time. Apple music is probably the only good thing in streaming music in India and even that is Lossy. But atleast better. I trust CDs for music I love. High res will take another bloody generation to come in India !!!

320 Kbps Mp3 and FLAC, there is very very very very very minute difference :D
Off topic but its a huge difference for me. I can easily detect lossy encoding.

What you may say is AAC/Vorbis at highest bitrates may sound similar to FLAC in low complexity scenarios. If its a highly complex music, nothing can beat lossless!

Off topic but its a huge difference for me. I can easily detect lossy encoding.

What you may say is AAC/Vorbis at highest bitrates may sound similar to FLAC in low complexity scenarios. If its a highly complex music, nothing can beat lossless!

Huge difference between 320 kbps Mp3 and FLAc :( :sad:

Ok, no comments, may be i don't have audiophile ears :D

Lucky me, i can enjoy Wynk on the go :D

MP3, irrespective of bit rate/source recording/encoder, will always have this digital haze & roughness/fuzziness compared to a lossless rip.
Some things such as dynamics depend mostly on the mastering quality.

No, there is no such thing as golden ears. Experience and revealing gear is enough.

Huge difference between 320 kbps Mp3 and FLAc :( :sad:

Ok, no comments, may be i don't have audiophile ears :D

Lucky me, i can enjoy Wynk on the go :D

I get it for free being on Airtel. And I certainly can't call serious Audio issues like heavy distortion unique to Audiophiles.

Wynk sucks big time. Apple music is probably the only good thing in streaming music in India and even that is Lossy. But atleast better. I trust CDs for music I love. High res will take another bloody generation to come in India !!!

Well I don't completely agree with you. Wynk is any day better than its counterparts as far Bollywood music is concerned. I have used Gaana n Savvn. They claim that you can listen music offline but that's for offline for few hours only. Try keeping offline for couple of days and you can't access them. Whereas Wynk is completely accessible even if keep phone offline for months. The only downside is that you can't access Wynk in foreign countries. Apple Music is good for Western music. But the user interface sucks. It's bit complicated and you have to changing the artists you like to hear. I'm using both of them. Wynk for Bollywood n Apple Music for English music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back